Can you build a PC as powerful as the XB1X for $500?

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Costello, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    PCWorld have tried, and apparently the answer is a big NO.

XboxOneX.jpg

In an attempt to create a custom built computer with specifications matching exactly those of the newly revealed Xbox One X (which I personally decided to refer to as XB1X but feel to come up with your own acronym), PCWorld concludes that, apparently, for the first time in the history of gaming, a console may be more powerful than a custom built computer of the same price tag at the time of its release!

XB1X specs:
    CPU: Custom AMD 8-core @ 2.3 GHz
    GPU: Custom AMD chip @ 6.0 teraflops
    RAM: 12 GB GDDR5
    HDD: 1 TB
    OPT: 4K Blu-ray drive

PCWorld's attempt #1
    With 8GB DDR3 for a total cost of $652
    upload_2017-6-17_10-1-34.png

PCWorld's attempt #2
    With 8GB DDR4, for a total cost of $944
    upload_2017-6-17_10-1-46.png

So... can you do better than PCWorld? Let us know what you think. PC master race!
    Read more at PCWorld

2. Deboog

Deboog GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 22, 2013
    United States
    Interesting article! I was curious about this. People who are complaining about the price tag really need a reality check.

3. x65943

x65943 Resident Greekaboo, Amateur Dog Father

Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    Wow. I wonder if they are taking a big loss on every console that gets sold.

Of course economy of scale will help them get each one for a little less, but I still find it hard to believe they will be making any profit off of these systems.

4. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    End of Time
    Safe option to assume is that they sell consoles at loss, getting profits from games. That's a pretty good marketing way to sell, and get profits.

5. x65943

Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    It's not a very good strategy to make profit, they will lose a lot of money on this for months/years. It will only pay off if they manage to take a foothold in the market again. I see this as their last ditch effort to catch up with Sony.

The PS3 was sold at a loss, and was very expensive at launch - they tried to make money on selling the games, but in the end the cheaper and less suped up console won. The XB1X reminds me a lot of the PS3, and that doesn't bode well for M$.

RevPokemon, Zense, WooHyun and 4 others like this.
  6. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    That's incredible. Acronym by the way, it's XBOX. X Box One X. If you separate X and Box, there you go, I didn't realize that until seeing a Facebook post that featured a picture pointing this out. Blew my mind. My PC in total cost $3600, including mouse and keyboard, I guess the specs on that are better, save for the 4K Blu-Ray drive, I just have a BD-RW. This is going to be a case of Microsoft needing to pump out games as potential system sellers. PS4 Pro showed that mid-generation upgrades are extremely rocky. I guess Switch can count, but it wins out on an improved concept and being different from its predecessor, whereas XBOX and PS4 Pro are not different save from better hardware, it's the same overall presentation and package. As someone who hasn't owned an Xbox One, I'm more likely to bite than the people that currently own one, so they'd need some heavy duty marketing, heavy duty titles, and more console exclusives to push themselves over Sony, who are undoubtedly better in the exclusive title department. 4K blu-ray alone wouldn't make me buy this.

EthanAddict and chartube12 like this.
  7. guisadop

guisadop GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Brazil
    Isn't selling at a loss illegal in Europe?

8. x65943

Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    Predatory pricing is illegal in many places, but you would probably need to prove intent, AND someone would probably need to have been demonstrably hurt by the practice.

McHaggis, Zense, RevPokemon and 4 others like this.
  9. Stephano

Stephano I love you Charlie

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    On the floor of the Engineering building
    Wow.....
    I was not expecting this.
    I don't know what to believe any more.

10. DeoNaught

DeoNaught ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aug 22, 2016
    United States
    Over there ;)
    Wew lad...

If this can run Windows10 I'm sold.

NovaPhoenix, Dav_Dabz, Deboog and 3 others like this.
  11. rileysrjay

rileysrjay GBAtemp's best looking speedster!

Apr 2, 2016
    United States
    Central City
    Can't wait to see the PC Master race group's excuse for this is going to be. It's gonna be gold.

12. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 10, 2009
    plus their subscription or what they call game pass if I'm mistaken. There is also the gold subscription. No idea if it's the same.

13. x65943

Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    Well, the obvious answer to that is this. The console is still much weaker than your average PC gamer's PC, and has much less utility.

This thing is still completely locked down, and games will never drop in price like PC games do.

14. Benja81

Benja81 GBAtemp Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    Benja81 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 24, 2015
    United States
    Doesn't mean they sell at a loss though, remember they get parts way closer to cost than just buying random parts on Amazon lol, due to the very large amount they will be buying. They certainly wont be making their money on the consoles though.

Lukerz and Subtle Demise like this.
  15. Stephano

Stephano I love you Charlie

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    On the floor of the Engineering building
    @rileysrjay
    The artical also made a very interesting point that the cost of these parts might decrease as we approach the release date of the Xbox One X. So it may be a little early to name a victor. But regardless of the outcome.... A war is coming and boy will it be a fun one to watch.

Last edited by Stephano, Jun 17, 2017
    rileysrjay and Xabring like this.
  16. rileysrjay

rileysrjay GBAtemp's best looking speedster!

Apr 2, 2016
    United States
    Central City
    True, but this is the PC Master racers that we're talking about. The majority of them wouldn't figure out the obvious. They're just gonna make fun of not being able to run games in 1000 frames or whatever lame excuse they come up with.

17. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I figured that would be the case when I saw the price and the "specs". They're definitely selling the XBonerX at a loss, whether or not it'll pan out though I'm not sure.

Although you could easily cut the price of their "lower end" PC build enough to make it cost just less than an Xbox One X. Get rid of the bluray drive (literally no PC game uses it these days), use a HDD from a PC they already have, getting rid of the Windows 10 license fee by using the assistive technology, using an old PC case.

18. Benja81

Benja81 GBAtemp Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    Benja81 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 24, 2015
    United States
    Right, plus when you want to upgrade usually you can stick a new GPU in there and add another 5-10 yrs of life to your rig, instead of needing another whole new console.

19. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    Pff Amatures! I got a better system for rougly 530$, (OEM license from a REDDIT place) I could have choosen another CPU, for 30$ more and got an 8 core instead of a 6 core. However the speed on the 6 core was a lot faster than the 8 core so it would have evened out.
    Then again, these people aren't selling at a loose profit. So yeah, it's perfectly possible to build a system close to the specs of the Xbox One. Of course I don't know how much the parts will cost around the release of the Xbox One X.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XXQNwV

PCWorld is as trustful as Kotaku, so I wouldn't even try to listen to their advices ;)

20. Darkyose

Darkyose Mysterious

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Home Alone Somewhere.
    Well, I don't care about Xbox anyway.