Can The Gateway Play 3DS Games On My 3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by UndefeatedMonarch, Jul 19, 2016.

1. UndefeatedMonarch
    OP

UndefeatedMonarch Member

Newcomer
    Jul 19, 2016
    Canada
    I have a friend who is selling his secondary 3DS, pretty much brand new for about $100. I haven't played Pokemon since Heart Gold and Soul Silver, and I REALLY want to start playing again. I was looking for a way to play 3DS ROMs for free? Does the Gateway play 3DS ROMs, not DS, but 3DS ROMs? For example, could I play Pokemon Omega Ruby with the Gateway and a MicroSD card?

If yes, would the Gateway work for me needs on this specific 3DS? It's the original 3DS, not the new, nor the 2DS. My friend told me that it was running on firmware version 7.2.0-16U. Would I need a different firmware version to play 3DS ROMs? Would I need to downgrade?

Also, just a side question, is there something that works pretty much like the Gateway, or similarly, but cheaper? If not, I don't mind just getting the Gateway.

Sorry for all of these questions. I haven't owned a Nintendo handheld since the original Nintendo DS days.

Thanks a lot! :)

2. memomo

memomo ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nov 30, 2013
    You should definitely using Internet Explorer, your question seems from two years ago

3. UndefeatedMonarch
    OP

UndefeatedMonarch Member

Newcomer
    Jul 19, 2016
    Canada
    Sorry, I'm brand new to all of this xD

4. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Gateway's whole purpose is playing 3DS roms on a 3DS. There's also Sky3DS, but I don't know if it's cheaper or not. But be prepared for people to come in and either complain that you dared to ask a question or that you dared to ask about Gateway instead of custom firmware. Which yes, is cheaper (free) so might be how you want to go, but that's up to you.

lol, you just admitted you still used IE two years ago. no one else used it more recently than 10+ years ago

5. memomo

memomo ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nov 30, 2013
    You don't need Gateway or any other flashcards at all.

You just need to update your FW to 9.2 and get one of the free CFWs like Luma3DS

That all

6. Amapola62

Amapola62 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 25, 2015
    France
  7. TheGrayShow1467

TheGrayShow1467 屈折

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
    It's great to DO TAXES :creep:

8. UndefeatedMonarch
    OP

UndefeatedMonarch Member

Newcomer
    Jul 19, 2016
    Canada
    Okay... So you're telling me that I can play 3DS games, free (Including Pokemon X/Y) without spending any money (other than on the 3DS, of course) with CFW only? Correct?

9. Amapola62

Oct 25, 2015
    France
  10. memomo

memomo ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nov 30, 2013
    Yes exactly

There is another hack could A9LH but it might be too complicated for you.

You can just update to 9.2 and then setup MenuHax (very easy) and from there you can launch you're free CFW.

And then you can decide if you want to move forward and install A9LH or stop here and enjoy your current setup

11. Amapola62

Oct 25, 2015
    France
  12. memomo

memomo ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nov 30, 2013
  13. UndefeatedMonarch
    OP

UndefeatedMonarch Member

Newcomer
    Jul 19, 2016
    Canada

Is CFW going to guarantee me the ability to play 3DS roms from an microSD card? I just need to be sure, 100%. I'm getting excited xD

14. memomo

memomo ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nov 30, 2013
    3ds uses full size SD card not micro SD:P

And to make you even more excited you can download your free games from your own 3ds without a computer, you just need to install free shop app in your 3ds

15. UndefeatedMonarch
    OP

UndefeatedMonarch Member

Newcomer
    Jul 19, 2016
    Canada
    Is A9LH better? I'm usually pretty tech savvy. I've had a lot of experience with a softmodded Wii, jailbroken iOS devices, jailbroken PS3, ect...

16. Davidosky99

Davidosky99 Eevee :3

Banned
    Jun 7, 2015
    Porto
    Yes as long as the games come in .CIA format.
    Also avoid gateway.
    It's just not worth compared to free cfws and arm9loaderhax, being unreliable slow and pretty Much useless and outdated.
    They also do very shady practises and their business is very bad so you're wasting your money on very bad criminals.
    Also, it is unsafe to play games with your gateway online without proper patching.
    My suggestion?
    Follow this guide from beggining to end
    https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki
    I can walk you thought if needed via an IM system.
    I've done the same with over 30 3ds's and it's fast and safe

17. xdarkmario

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    your answer in a nutshell

Using a flashcart=Expensive| depreciated in later FWs|prone to bricks| limited to certain| FW's easy & lazy
    CFW= Free| way more future resistant| less brick rate & higher recovery rate| as of now you can update to the max update and stay online without spoofing or rom edits| harder to setup but worth it

Sources: i own both A9HL & supercard DSTWO+

and to answer your question as everyone above me did, yes you can but in the end its not worth it, plus it looks like my Supercard DSTWO+ (as do most flashcarts) is starting to burn out on me, it shoes up as no cart inserted half the time.(maybe Nintendo's doing)

18. UndefeatedMonarch
    OP

UndefeatedMonarch Member

Newcomer
    Jul 19, 2016
    Canada
    If ever I need help, I guess I know who to look for ;) Thanks!

Ya, I figured they were cheap hardware. Back in the Pokemon Diamond and Pearl days, I ended up owning three Action Replays. I know it's not quite the same thing, but still.

So I guess I'll go the CFW way, and get my ROMs free via CFW methods. Any good tutorials on how to install 3DS ROMs after I've installed CFW? Thanks again!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Last question, are my minimum requirements to install CFW the following:

1. 3DS
    2. MicroSD (or SD?)
    3. A computer (Windows, in my case)

No need for entry point games such as Cubic Ninja, Freakyhax and whatnot?

Thanks... again... :D

19. xdarkmario

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    you can get mostly everything you need to hack a 3ds right here on the temp. also be careful with talking about "free" and "roms" here its frowned upon on this website:unsure:

20. Davidosky99

Davidosky99 Eevee :3

Banned
    Jun 7, 2015
    Porto
    Your sd/microsd should be at least 8 GB(you can use 4gb ones tho, but they are harder to work with)
    After that you can get a bigger one(64/128 GB)
    As long as your firmware version isn't higher than 10.5 you don't need exploit games.
    And yes, those are the requirements