[Tutorial] Installing Luma3DS CFW (For 2DS,o3DS,N3DS - Full MenuHax+RedNAND+Autoboot Setup)

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by Temptress Cerise, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Temptress Cerise
    OP

Temptress Cerise Miss Magic~ <3

May 1, 2016
    United States
    Please Use: https://3ds.guide/

This guide is probably pretty broken by now. And since 11.3, became the new 9.2. And with the release of B9S. Getting CFW is pretty painless and noob-proof. Just read the guide linked above, and take it slow.
    PLEASE USE 3DS.GUIDE - THIS GUIDE IS OUTDATED

Last edited by Temptress Cerise, Jun 11, 2017

2. iAqua

iAqua Proud Follower of Skiddon't-ism

GBAtemp Patron
    iAqua is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 7, 2015
    Canada
    Geez this is a long tutorial... Nice one though!

3. Temptress Cerise
    OP

May 1, 2016
    United States
    Thank you~ But it's hugely adapted from Plailect's A9LH Guide, just re-worked with the Menuhax+RedNAND//EmuNAND user in mind. :)

4. Lia

Lia GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 29, 2016
    Very good guide :P Good job on writing this all out, even if most of the stuff was adapted from plailects, I can tell you put a lot of effort into it <3

Last edited by Lia, Jun 28, 2016
    Temptress Cerise likes this.
  5. Alex658

Alex658 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 4, 2010
    Venezuela
    Venezuela
    I have an old3ds 9.2sys with a Luma3ds emu 11.0, set up with phailect's guide.

I simply don't want to use the HBL to boot onto the tools because i have successfully installed the hbl_cia and if i ever want to use the tools, i just use that.

To get rid of the menuhax hbl i just renamed the luma.3dsx to boot.3dsx and this set up works, but after the menuhax red color (showing the exploit worked) it sometimes just crashes for no apparent reason.

To make my issue clearer, i want a coldboot enviroment directly into cfw with the highest bootrate possible (inside the menuhax enviroment, be it menuhax/lesshax/no colored screen)

I would also like to know the differences between one or another fork of menuhax-loader in detail and their consequences (like breaking starupdater 3dsx, would it also break the cia?)

EDIT: Also, when setting up menuhax in your guide you said to set it up for type 2 and configure L button to stop menuhax from triggering and that you'd explain why later in the guide. I seem to have missed that part, didn't find it.

Last edited by Alex658, Jun 28, 2016
  6. Temptress Cerise
    OP

May 1, 2016
    United States
    HBL.cia will rely on the NAND version of where it's launched. So from Emu 11.0 on an o3DS USA console, it'll use "hblauncherloader_otherapp_payload_OLD-11-0-0-33-USA.bin" - It'll also rely on boot.3dsx. Because of this, it's not really recommended you rename your CFW file to boot.3dsx, as launching HBL.cia will just cause it to load the CFW boot.3dsx file.

So the best solution is to actually use HxD and make changes to the ropbinpayload.bin on the root of your SD Card. This will allow it to boot anything you tell it, as long as it's 4 chars. In the example shown in the guide, we changed it to be auto,3dsx from the original boot.3dsx.

ihaveamac's version should just be a ninjhax 2.7 payload edited to remove the debug//colors, don't think it actually improves bootrate.

While lesshax (you don't really need to use HxD if you decide to use this) is based on the 2.1 ninjhax base, with stuff removed to hopefully improve bootrate and stuff, as well as debug colors//text removed. lesshax should load the less.3dsx file on the root of your SD Card.

Red screen, I believe usually means it didn't find the file. Or it could mean that it's trying to launch the file way too early. Using CtrBootManager and adding Luma3DS should give you a bit more consistent boot into the Luma3DS.3dsx file.

Last edited by Temptress Cerise, Jun 28, 2016
  7. Alex658

Alex658 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 4, 2010
    Venezuela
    Venezuela
    You're right, tried to boot into the hbl.cia while having both the ropbinpayload and the hblauncher_loader it auto downloaded and it just black screeens (probably trying to do an inception loading luma from luma)

What is the simplest way of setting all this up for a coldboot method with an optional hbl.cia to do the rest?

Menuhax colored screen have never bothered me so much, but if lesshax actually improves the rate, then i'd need it's dedicated installer like the one in the starter kit for the normal *hax.

8. Temptress Cerise
    OP

May 1, 2016
    United States
    Simplest? Probably using the lesshax payloads and renaming luma.3dsx to less.3dsx. Without using lesshax, you'd have to use HxD to change the robinpayload to suit your needs.

There is no lesshax installer. You either build it yourself, or use the files I linked, matching it with the correct one for your system.
    Link: https://gitlab.com/n4ru/less_hax

9. Alex658

Alex658 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 4, 2010
    Venezuela
    Venezuela
    I'm doing this right now, since the ropbin was replaced (and i think this is the menuhax configuration entry) how do i know what buttons to press in case i want to drop in sysnand?
    Nevermind, menuhax manager still works just as if it was treating a vanilla menuhax.

boot.3dsx as hbl
    less.3dsx as Luma renamed for coldboot.

EDIT: This setup works wonders!! Also followed your advice to re-configure it as type 2 and when i press L it takes me back to sysnand (Menuhax is not executed), which is exactly what i wanted. Thanks!

I also used up this custom image for the lulz.
    https://gbatemp.net/attachments/imagedisplay-png.51611/

Last edited by Alex658, Jun 29, 2016
  10. Temptress Cerise
    OP

May 1, 2016
    United States
    Glad it worked out for you~ ^_^

Also: Changes have been made to the guide, removed Brahma+Uncart, as the latest release of Decrypt9WIP now supports dumping 3DS games and extracting Private Headers, a complete tutorial was written and is linked to in the optional part relating to it.

11. PrometheusG.

PrometheusG. GBAtemp Fan

Jun 27, 2016
    Greece
    Hi!
    How do I update Decrypt9WIP in my 2DS? I have the previous version 20160607 installed in my system.
    Do I simply delete the previous files (Decrypt9.log+Decrypt9WIP.dat) and just drag and drop the new Decrypt9WIP.dat from inside the zip file?
    Thank you!

12. Temptress Cerise
    OP

May 1, 2016
    United States
    I guess, but not sure what it has to do with this guide, as following this guide, we wont be using the .dat versions. We use the .3dsx versions, and from me actually using my guide, I never had any errors with not having the .dat files. The only .dat file we need is Luma3DS.dat

13. PrometheusG.

PrometheusG. GBAtemp Fan

Jun 27, 2016
    Greece
    thank you!

14. Psygnosis

Psygnosis Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 25, 2009
    Italy
    I try to follow this guide on my 3dsxl (fw 9.2)
    everything goes well except that with the lastest version of Luma I have a black screen.
    Here https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/FAQ-and-Troubleshooting I've read that it's a problem with the gw downgrade...when I first had rxtools I've downgraded to 4.5 with GW.
    Can I follow that guide also if I didn't install A9LH and sysnand is not the lastest?
    I can't undestand well the process

15. Temptress Cerise
    OP

May 1, 2016
    United States
    Yeah, you should be able to follow that just fine. Just do as it tells you. Not sure how well I can help with you that, since the instructions are pretty straight forward for me. Step 4 is basically just telling you what option to turn on, when fixing SysNAND when not on A9LH. You'll have to inject FBI into SysNAND when fixing SysNAND tho. As detailed in the optional part titled "~[Optional] Injecting FBI into SysNAND (For GBA//DSiWare Games)~"

16. Psygnosis

Newcomer
    Jul 25, 2009
    Italy
    Your guide was something perfect to me everything works fine really!
    For that problem with luma 5.4 (I think) I just put firmware.bin in luma folder and it boot up just fine

Inviato dal mio LG-D802 utilizzando Tapatalk

17. Temptress Cerise
    OP

May 1, 2016
    United States
    Yeah, that was another way to do it as well, as it will use the firmware.bin in place of whatever your NAND has. I guess if the issue ever comes back to bite you, you could worry and fix it then, or download the newest firmware.bin and use that.

18. Psygnosis

Newcomer
    Jul 25, 2009
    Italy
    So the firmware.bin is relative to the sysnand version or emunand version?
    Just to understand

Inviato dal mio LG-D802 utilizzando Tapatalk

19. Temptress Cerise
    OP

May 1, 2016
    United States
    It's used in place off your EmuNAND system version's firmware.bin. I think. I mean that's how I've always thought it worked.

20. aenoch

aenoch GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 23, 2015
    United States
    Ludington, Michigan
    im currently trying to fix my wife's 3dsxl. rxtools randomly stopped working via browser and ds profile. i was advised to just install menuhax with luna to replace rxtools but keep every thing the same saves etc. i put ll the files from the guide on the sd card even tho i dont need all the ones you listed. i jump to the menuhax browserhax part. i see the slider i zoom in i click it in the right spot and it crashes and says an error has occurred please save your data currently in use and restart. im completly lost here