Homebrew can I use my joycon on my modded wii somehow?

Kyuuketsuki

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It should be possible, in the form of Bluetooth connectivity.

Hold the JC sync button, hitting the red button on the Wii. But it will possibly register each JoyCon as a separate controller.

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
It should be possible, in the form of Bluetooth connectivity.

Hold the JC sync button, hitting the red button on the Wii. But it will possibly register each JoyCon as a separate controller.
I don't think it will just work out of the box, you'll need a program on the Wii for it to work, which doesn't exist yet to my knowledge

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Sort of.
Wii games and Virtual Console are hardcoded only to work with Wii compatible controllers. There's no way around this to my knowledge.
However, GameCube games through Nintendont and some homebrew will support USB HID controllers.

Through that support you can use something like the MAGIC-NS to connect JoyCons and have them recognized as regular USB HID.
For the cost of a MAGIC-NS you might be able to buy a Wiimote/Nunchuck set though which will work with every game. Granted button mapping for emulators and GC games is a bit weird, since the Wiimote/Nunchuck don't have enough buttons and have a completely different layout so some games may be harder to play.

If you already have USB controllers laying around (Xinput not supported, I think) then getting a MAGIC-NS seems a bit pointless, since GC games and homebrew would work just as well with some generic USB controller, if not better thanks to having a proper D-pad.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

StupidGamer1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to ask,if I may. What USB controllers work with Wii homebrew? The reason is wii motes eat batteries and would like to find a better solution to enjoy homebrew. I know gamecube controllers work,but if you are like me,Playing classic games on a GC controller kinda sucks (except for GC games,obviously). Thanks for reading and taking the time to help a old timer out.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
What USB controllers work with Wii homebrew?
There is no answer, because each individual program running on the Wii has to bring his own controller drivers, so homebrew is "only" at an advantage because they are generally open source and are not bound by arbitrary Nintendo standards, but still anything is free to be compatible with what the developer wanted to support; in fact, USB (DirectInput/HID) controller support is available in a strong minority of all released homebrews, with wiimotes and GC controllers (connected to the real ports) being king

Are you using good batteries? The Wiimote should easily get over a full day with a good pair (unfortunately not all software disables power-intensive features like audio streaming or the camera when not used)...

StupidGamer1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see. Thanks for taking the time to answer. I am using energizer industrial.... they usually last maybe a day in a half but it gets expensive since I enjoy retro gaming on my old CRT.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I am using energizer industrial.... they usually last maybe a day in a half but it gets expensive since I enjoy retro gaming on my old CRT.
It may be a good idea to buy some used Wiimote rechargeable battery kit for (hopefully) little, and a pair of good rechargeables to recell them since they are probably a capacity disaster by now :)

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Any recommendations?
Not really, I currently use some 1.8 Ah (maybe when they were made in 2009) rechargeables and get maybe 12 hours on (mostly) Mario Galaxy 2, which uses all gimmicks - but as you might guess, I don't play much anymore...

My local electronics megastore actually has 16 packs of the legendary red Panasonics (like the ones that came from the factory), but they are reserved for my camera flashes - one pack happens to cover exactly a year of photos :D

(note that the battery meter is not accurate with rechargeables)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZokeA2lKB6o