Can I convert a N64 retroarch save to not64?

Keylogger

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Hi,

I’m playing N64 games on my Ipad with retroarch and I want to continue to play with friends on TV using not64 emulator on Wii U
Im wondering if I can easily convert the retroarch saves files (.srm) to not64 .sav format?

Thanks for your help

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi,

I’m playing N64 games on my Ipad with retroarch and I want to continue to play with friends on TV using not64 emulator on Wii U
Im wondering if I can easily convert the retroarch saves files (.srm) to not64 .sav format?

Thanks for your help
They are probably the same thing, try just renaming the file.
Both are based on some version of Mupen64 anyway.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
They are probably the same thing, try just renaming the file.
Both are based on some version of Mupen64 anyway.
This isn't the case, libretro's Mupen64+ uses a custom save format, but it is possible to extract a conventional save out of it. Quoting a previous thread on (the reverse of) this subject:
I haven't ever done what you're doing, but I'd guess there's two problems at play here.

Problem 1: The Wii U (and Wii, and also the N64 actually) is a big-endian console, so N64 saves are written and read "backward" relative to how they're handled on little-endian platforms, like any modern PC or the Switch.

Solution 1: ED64-Saveswap will allow you to byte- and word-swap your save to arrange it in the direction little-endian consoles expect to read their saves. This is a GUI tool, so you shouldn't have any trouble using it.

Problem 2: RetroArch Mupen64+ has its own custom save format which is distinct from any other emulator, so there's no kind of save file you can just rename and start using on that RetroArch core.

Solution 2: ra_mp64_srm_convert is a tool which converts between traditional N64 save formats and RetroArch Mupen64+'s dedicated save format. It's a command-line application, but if you don't feel confident using the command prompt, it is designed to "guess" what you want based on the file you supply if you just drag and drop your save file onto the app.

Between both of these tools, I think you can probably get your save working on Switch.
In that thread, the user was going in the opposite direction, so to make a libretro Mupen64+ save usable on Not64, you ... do the opposite. Use ra_mp64_srm_convert to extract your save file (drag and drop your RetroArch .srm save onto it). IIRC, only .fla and .srm saves need their endianness swapped, if your game uses .eep saving you should be done already. If not, take the resulting save file and byte- and word-swap it with ED64-Saveswap. Then, just make sure it's named correctly for your game and in the right place on the SD card and you should be good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill