Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Even with standard def TVs the difference between component or S-video and composite is huge. The picture is literally twice as sharp with either than with composite.

Well worth the cost of the cable.

dsrules

Trophies
XP
Country
yeah,,you need to plug 2 extra wires for audio
but, you can use RED WHITE YELLOW (Composite) in place of GREEN BLUE RED (Component)?

I'm talking about regular video cables for use on tv and dvd players, not the component video cable for wii....

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yeah,,you need to plug 2 extra wires for audio
but, you can use RED WHITE YELLOW (Composite) in place of GREEN BLUE RED (Component)?

I'm talking about regular video cables for use on tv and dvd players, not the component video cable for wii....
This will work, but you may have picture quality problems if the cables are too long. If the cables are under six feet it works fine.

Some info about the different connections, in case anyone cares:
A TV picture has three components: luminance, red difference and blue difference.

Composite video crams all three components into a single wire, and the TV has to seperate them back out into the three components. This greatly reduces sharpness and color quality.

S-video has a seperate wire for luminance, but red & blue difference still share a wire. Sharpness is about the same as component video for sandard def, but color quality is not as good.

Component video keeps the three signals seperate, so the picture quality is as close to perfect as you can get with an analog signal.

Tank5890

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
How about a 480i composite VS 480p component comparison? Personally, I have no intention of buying component cables for use on a 480i TV. RGB SCART if it's cheap, but not component.

lookout

GBAtemp Board Room
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What is 480p? What is 480i?
The "p" stands for progressive scan - that means that the TV or monitor draws each frame you see in your screen line-by-line from top to bottom - of course this (usually) happens so fast that your eye sees one instant image. The opposite of progressive scan is "i" - that means interlaced - the monitor or TV draws every other line in your screen, and then, it goes back to the top and draws the remaining lines (like tying knots in a lace).

Interlaced scanning is a bit of a cheat. It makes your frames look like they're drawing faster (because you have every other line drawn from top to bottom in half the time - and it fools your eye into seeing one whole image), but the problem is that it can flicker. "Everybody" knows that "p" means a higher-quality image than "i" because a screen that does 720 lines from top to bottom one-after-another will look better (you have a pure solid image) than a screen that does every other line (it does 360 lines and goes back and does the other 360).

The number before the "p" or "i" stands of for the number of lines drawn on your screen, so 480p and 480i both make 480 lines on your screen. If it was 720 or 1080, then there would be more lines. The more lines you have, the better your resolution. But if your TV sucks anyway or if you're the type of person who can't notice a difference, then it doesn't really do you any good to invest in all this "p" stuff.

post-5-1163646388_qjpreviewth.jpg
nfg_pinout_qjpreviewth.jpg

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
QUOTE said:
But if your TV sucks anyway or if you're the type of person who can't notice a difference, then it doesn't really do you any good to invest in all this "p" stuff.

my TV doesn't do anything but PAL and I can't make out that detail if I don't look very close (which is not something one should do in video games), so I qualify for both and will not buy different cables (which I hadn't planned, anyway).

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No you don't need a HDTV to use component cables, there are normal TVs that have component input along with EDTVs.
The chances are, especially in the UK, that you won't have a non-HDTV with component input.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Sony 27" Wega, a 27FS13 model that has component cable setup for the system aside from the standard RCA jacks. Currently I am using the RCA jacks, the TV is the highest quality analog 480i tv you can get basically. I am curious as to what quality boost I may see on my set going to the Wii component cables that'll hit retail early next month?

I've seen s-video on a similar tV before and notice things looked a bit sharper. I'm curious how much of a boost I'll see from the RCA jack to the component on this 480i set (and also out of curiousity how much nicer the 480i from 480p really is as all I can gander is that there is minor compared from RCA-component or 480i/p to 720 or better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @realtimesave, iirc she said she is non binary