Buying a softmod xbox with games, but how do I....

godzillafan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Guys

I wanted to softmod the xbox I was given (other thread), but its a little time consuming for me at the moment, so buying one.

Its got some preloaded games already, but not sure what mods done.

I am 100% sure its soft so...

As I did not do anything myself, a few things.....

- How do I check what softmod (software) is on it?

- How do I add games to the HDD (100GB roughly)

- Can I play DVD isos on it.

I only want the xbox mainly to play....

elder scrolls 3 morrowind goty ntsc-u

on it and the other xbox rpg's

problem is finding out, how to get the above on there and taking out some preloaded games on the box.

any pointers please, so I am ready to start working on it as soon as it arrives

cheers

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"I only want the xbox mainly to play....

elder scrolls 3 morrowind goty ntsc-u

on it and the other xbox rpg's"

I do have to note most of them appeared on the PC, owing to way PC games now work are largely still available, will tend to require a very modest PC by today's standards, were better there in general, may have since been made better there (KOTOR 2 probably being the more notable) and have loads of mods (and elder scrolls without mods is like saying half life multiplayer was not improved by mods).

Anyway that is not quite so helpful.

"Softmod"
If it boots straight up then it is one of a few things but that does not really matter as there is no issue launching games, no "this only works with a hardmod" or other such things. If it does not boot straight up and you have to fiddle on the menu then you have an exceptionally old softmod and then we can talk about upgrading it, also I would be shocked if that was the case.
If it was tsop modded (a halfway house between hardmod and softmod* -- all the benefits of a hardmod but only requires a bit of soldering) you probably would have been told.

*so as to get it out of the way.
There are two mod classes for the original xbox. Both work by replacing the BIOS at some level and allowing hacked things to work, they all launch the same dashes, the same homebrew and the same games and all have the same compatibility (total).
They are
Hardmod
Softmod

There are two differences give or take the dualboot options of some chips (pretty pointless now original xbox live is dead and you could still have a stock dash with a softmod)
Hardmod allows any drive to be used to replace it and it allows you to make fancy colours/pictures when it starts up where the softmod needs a lockable drive ( http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list ) and you can not do fancy colours/pictures and have to watch the few seconds of xbox logo before you are staring at a dash.
There are some further hardmod things you could do not related to the actual hack like increase processor speed, increase memory, add a little LED matrix/display to have certain types of info. They are of some use and some homebrew does better for them, for the most part and for more people they are pointless.

Modding on the original xbox then.
Though I said about replaced BIOS most people only ever see the replacement dashboard as this is what launches games, homebrew, videos..... There are several though most usually just use XBMC (it is a rather fine media player after all), the main XBMC project dropped the original xbox a year or two back but others took up the task and we now have XBMC4XBOX if you want it. If people are not using XBMC they will probably have it as a program they can launch and will be using UnleashX or Evolution-X, there are still others but those are the main ones. It could also be running a version of xbox linux (there are a handful of distros too) but that is risking getting off topic.

You can burn DVDs and if you are willing to suffer USB1.1 speeds and only have a handful of USB drives work then you can also have some USB to at least transfer files around. Basically everybody, especially once they replace the hard drive like yours seems to have been, will use FTP to manage their xbox. If you are not familiar with FTP it is an old but still very commonly used file transfer method (indeed FTP = File Transfer Protocol), you put the address of the xbox on your local network, the username (usually xbox), the password (also usually xbox) and the port (which you can leave blank or just put 21 in). Many of the programs aimed to helping out with the xbox will have their own FTP client program built in, if you want a generic one then https://filezilla-project.org/ is good stuff. Said programs will extract the ISO and transfer the files it contains to wherever you like (though I recommend their own directory in the GAMES folder of whatever drive has the space for it as it will then show up on the menus of the dash you use). The all in one programs are available as part of the Xbox-Hq PC Essentials pack which if you can find it I suggest you get but C-Xbox Tool and MooGUI are the main ones, you can find the former along with a few other iso extraction tools (you can extract and manually send it over with a normal FTP program) on filetrip though http://filetrip.net/oldies-downloads/xbox/iso-hacks-tools/
Some dashboards allowed you to send rar files over containing the whole iso and have it work but most will just extract it and send it over or burn it.

Only other thing to mention is component cables (which can make the xbox output 720p or 1080i). They did not really exist in Europe but you can get them ( http://www.consolesandgadgets.co.uk/catalog/xbox-component-cable-p-1564.html ) or make them ( http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/xbox.htm ) and certain games do work with them as do many dashboards and homebrew programs (including emulators). To use them on a PAL xbox you need a program called "enigmah video mode switcher" (just the once mind you, if you do not need component cables then out of region stuff should be sorted by the dashboard just fine). Many of these programs (plus dashboards, emulators, homebrew) are bundled on a disc pack called "Auto Installer Delxue", sadly the sites and more seem to be down right now and have been for a while so you get to go searching to find a copy.

Once you get it we will need to run you through getting a copy of the EEPROM and various dash files (with those you can always restore your xbox if the hard drive dies), some aspects of the softmod process can trouble this but again more on that later.

godzillafan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
top stuff and really helpful. i will need to see what comes when it arrives and report it back here.

hopefully its good to go but if it needs updating the above going to help.

i can do elder scrolls on pc - but its too many keys for me mouse and keyboard - never got my head around that.

i should give that a go again as I used to play the battleground series from star wars on pc

godzillafan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Guys

back again and the xbox boxes arrived

I got 2 for £2. one was a mod with the following specs

xbmc 1.10 (y) (jan 7 2005)
mplayer 1.opre 5-.3.3. (jan 2 2005)

does this mean anything - its got a dozen or so games loaded on it which is good and a ranhe of emu games from the snes and so on

BUT the disc tray does not open!!!!

so need some help

I want to add elder scrolls 3 onto it (if I can find it from somewhere).

How do i add that - as the tray does not work? I had planned to find a iso from somewhere

any advice pleaseon how to add games onto the xbmc

thanks upfront

godzillafan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks D

just got the xbox this morning so lots to learn.

First thing I need to setup it to my pc

is that just put a network cable in and mess with the settings or more complex that that.

Is the link for a tutorial on setting up pc and old xbox on here or a u tube job?

I will look on the box and see whats preloaded to find out what I need on my pc

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Stick a network cable in the old Xbox and hook it up to your router.
If you're in your xbox's HDD then it might be a good idea to back every thing up.
That way you can also recopy everything back in a more organizing way.

I personally keep everything neatly organized.
Games in E:/Games
Emulators in F:/Emulators
Homebrew in F:/Homebrew
ROMS in F:/ROMS etc etc.

As for a tutorial, there's nothing much to it.
Hook your Xbox up to your network, boot it.
Take the IP it gets and type it into your FTP program.
the port is 21 and the Username and Password are "xbox"

DON'T EVER DELETE ANYTHING FROM YOUR C: DRIVE!
This will render your Xbox unusable!

Reactions: godzillafan

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you got Filezilla set up and the Xbox is displaying an IP adress then you're basically done yes.

Just type in the IP of the Xbox along with port 21 in Filezilla.
Username and Pass are both "xbox".

godzillafan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
not sure whats going on
but no ip address
i did dchp and rebooting nothing showing

i did manual static and that bought up a ip, netmask, default gateway and dns server values

rebooted and went back to setting and same

godzillafan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
so I got a ip address i guess

went to filezilla opened that up
it opens up with server address and port
admin password and ok or cancel choice

do I add the ip address on the server address

or have i got the wrong things

i dl filezilla server interface?

not sure if that right

godzillafan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ok had another look and went to evol x menu and went to settings and checked out the configs

and it shows a dhcp setup with a ip address

it wont let me change the dhcp

godzillafan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ok went back in and found this

reboot

then
system
settings
network

got all the info up

it had a current ip 192.168.......etc

type was dhcp
and then the ip address was 192.169......etc

I guess i need to change the type to static and match the ips is that correct

godzillafan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
this is what I dont get

what ip an I using and where do i put it the top one or the middle one?

is it current ip
or
ip address

which is the corrent one as both are different

godzillafan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
once I get a ip address
where does it go on the ftp filezilla

that opens up with a small box with a connect to server

server address I guess I am adding the ip address

the port I put in 21

and then press ok

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Your vaguely describing your actions so I hardly can help you ;p

Just try any IP your xbox gives you.
And yes.
Server adress is the IP of your Xbox, port is 21 and username and password are "xbox"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The candy man can