Burning DVDs is Outdated? Help me softmod!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by CaptainDreadful, Oct 17, 2010.

Oct 17, 2010
  1. CaptainDreadful
    OP

Newcomer CaptainDreadful Advanced Member

United States
    apparently, as i just found out today, burning wii isos to dvds is old-school, and people really don't do that anymore. i've done a fair bit of research on softmodding, but i'm puzzled. i just want to play wii and wiiware games.

if anyone knows of a guide, with links, or can explain how i'd go about setting things up. i have an external hdd, so that's not a problem. i just need to know what to do!

i do, however, have some concerns; will retail games still work, and will the wii shop channel still function normally? i see something called cios frequently mentioned - what is this?

2. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
  3. Riley

Member Riley GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
  4. RodPN

Member RodPN GBAtemp Regular

Mexico
    http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/

everything you need is there.

and yes retail games will still work as well as the wii shop channel.

oh and i still burn my games, i hate usb loading, i don't know why, though

edit: damn it! two people beat me to it

5. CaptainDreadful
    OP

United States
    Fantastic!
    So, I went through all of the steps and installed the Homebrew Channel, cIOS stuff, Configurable USB loader, and WAD manager. Basically, everything I need to do what I want.

Everything is up and running now, thanks to you kind people, but here's my problem. My games, sometimes, get stuck on the loading screen. They're not freezing because of the loading animations are there, but they just stay loading forever! It's happened with both of the games that I've tried to play. They'll work for awhile, and then, at a random loading screen, they'll just stay there!

Maybe it's my flash drive? I'm using one of those Cruzer flash drivers that I had lying around. I didn't do anything special to the games; I just downloaded WBFS Intelligent GUI and transferred the games over to the flash drive using that. Popped it in, and it worked.

Oh, and previous to installing Configurable USB Loader, I tried USB LOADER GX and had the same problem. WiiWare wads are working fine, though. [​IMG]

6. Dust2dust

Member Dust2dust GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    First time I encounter someone saying that here! You're one in a million, RodPN! [​IMG]

7. wyndcrosser

Member wyndcrosser GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
  8. Dust2dust

Member Dust2dust GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    The problem might lie with WBFS Intelligent GUI! There are rumors it is kind of buggy. The app usually recommended nowadays that does approximately the same thing is Wii Backup Manager. Give it a try, it never failed me yet.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=188295

9. Am0s

Member Am0s Mojo Risin

United Kingdom
    I still use dvd's mainly because I cant really afford an external and a possibility the thing is incompatible with the wii, dvd's are cheap enough

10. CaptainDreadful
    OP

United States
    So, I tried switching to the Wii Backup Manager and turned up the same results.
    I'm trying out two games, Cabela's Big Game Hunter 2010 and Kirby's Epic Yarn. I loaded them both with Wii Backup Manager on to my 16GB SanDisk Cruzer flash drive. They both locked up in the midst of the game...within 15 minutes of playing them. So, I thought, maybe it's the flash drive? I have another 4GB Lexar flash drive around here, so I loaded up Cabela's Big Game Hunter with Wii Backup Manager. And I managed to play it for a good 20 minutes! I could've kept on going, but I was tired of it. [​IMG]

So, can this sort of thing happen? The USB devikce being the culprit, I mean. I didn't get a chance to try out Kirby's Epic Yarn on the Lexar drive because it was too big of a file.

Also, in case anyone was wondering. I'm running cIOSxrev20b. I updated from cIOS rev17 because I thought it might help. Nope, the same thing.