Hacking Burning DVDs is Outdated? Help me softmod!

CaptainDreadful

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
apparently, as i just found out today, burning wii isos to dvds is old-school, and people really don't do that anymore. i've done a fair bit of research on softmodding, but i'm puzzled. i just want to play wii and wiiware games.

if anyone knows of a guide, with links, or can explain how i'd go about setting things up. i have an external hdd, so that's not a problem. i just need to know what to do!

i do, however, have some concerns; will retail games still work, and will the wii shop channel still function normally? i see something called cios frequently mentioned - what is this?

CaptainDreadful

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fantastic!
So, I went through all of the steps and installed the Homebrew Channel, cIOS stuff, Configurable USB loader, and WAD manager. Basically, everything I need to do what I want.

Everything is up and running now, thanks to you kind people, but here's my problem. My games, sometimes, get stuck on the loading screen. They're not freezing because of the loading animations are there, but they just stay loading forever! It's happened with both of the games that I've tried to play. They'll work for awhile, and then, at a random loading screen, they'll just stay there!

Maybe it's my flash drive? I'm using one of those Cruzer flash drivers that I had lying around. I didn't do anything special to the games; I just downloaded WBFS Intelligent GUI and transferred the games over to the flash drive using that. Popped it in, and it worked.

Oh, and previous to installing Configurable USB Loader, I tried USB LOADER GX and had the same problem. WiiWare wads are working fine, though.
biggrin.gif

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
CaptainDreadful said:
I didn't do anything special to the games; I just downloaded WBFS Intelligent GUI and transferred the games over to the flash drive using that. Popped it in, and it worked.

Oh, and previous to installing Configurable USB Loader, I tried USB LOADER GX and had the same problem. WiiWare wads are working fine, though.
biggrin.gif

The problem might lie with WBFS Intelligent GUI! There are rumors it is kind of buggy. The app usually recommended nowadays that does approximately the same thing is Wii Backup Manager. Give it a try, it never failed me yet.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=188295

Am0s

Mojo Risin
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I still use dvd's mainly because I cant really afford an external and a possibility the thing is incompatible with the wii, dvd's are cheap enough

CaptainDreadful

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I tried switching to the Wii Backup Manager and turned up the same results.
I'm trying out two games, Cabela's Big Game Hunter 2010 and Kirby's Epic Yarn. I loaded them both with Wii Backup Manager on to my 16GB SanDisk Cruzer flash drive. They both locked up in the midst of the game...within 15 minutes of playing them. So, I thought, maybe it's the flash drive? I have another 4GB Lexar flash drive around here, so I loaded up Cabela's Big Game Hunter with Wii Backup Manager. And I managed to play it for a good 20 minutes! I could've kept on going, but I was tired of it.
biggrin.gif

So, can this sort of thing happen? The USB devikce being the culprit, I mean. I didn't get a chance to try out Kirby's Epic Yarn on the Lexar drive because it was too big of a file.

Also, in case anyone was wondering. I'm running cIOSxrev20b. I updated from cIOS rev17 because I thought it might help. Nope, the same thing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: @K3Nv2 That list puts Zero Mission in first place, which I already played.