Burning Dual Layer and PS1 Games...

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by chaofan, Feb 9, 2008.

Feb 9, 2008
  1. chaofan

Member chaofan GBAtemp Regular

Aug 7, 2007
    Hi guys... Tis pretty strange I be here since I joined GBAtemp for R4 and NDS support [​IMG] , but here's my thread.

I've tried Google searching around, but all I've gotten are vague answers, and non-professional details about how to get Dual-Layered PS2 games and PS1 games working on my modchipped PS2. I have NO IDEA which modchip my PS2 has, since a friend of mine was kind enough to do it for me, but its one that if you press the reset button twice, it launches a "PS1" (yeh, that helped identify my chip, good going chaofan [​IMG] ).

I wanted to copy God of War, but I was told by my friend to avoid Dual Layer games. Apparently there was a way to Reduce the Dual Layer game into a Single Layer game, aka DVD9 to DVD5 but I'm at a loss into how to do that. Any suggestions, hints?

Also, my friend has told me to avoid playing PS1 games as well, but I couldn't resist being able to play out all the games I missed while I was a high-school Nintendo fanboy (these days, I'm a lot more accepting of the other consoles). I managed to find a copy and I've burnt it on a CD, but it reads it, the log pops up and it doesn't do anything else after that. Any ideas?

I've been using:
    -Alcohol 120%, as the burning program
    -Sony DVD-Rs
    -TDK CDs

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for all the help in advance guys!
  2. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Having to press reset twice means you have a older no swap chip , newer ones auto detect disc type. Doesn't narrow it down much , but you can at least eliminate it being a matrix infinity (or clone) , crystal chip , dms3 or dms4. As for dual layer games , there is no reason to avoid them , although there isn't that many anyway. As for ripping them down to dvd5 , it can be down , but there is no universal tool or anything , it's different for each game. Just search X game rip kit , or X game dvd5 or similar and you'll find many tutorials. Other way is just to do a direct copy to a dual layer , to do that you'll have to patch the image with the toxic dual layer patcher (unless your chip auto patches) , then burn as normal. Although considering you have to double tap reset , I doubt your chip supports dual layer backups.

As for playstation one games not going anywhere after the logo , I'd guess it's either your media or that game doesn't work properly on ps2.