Tutorial  Updated

Building NTR custom firmware cheat plugins w/ cheat menu

so thanks to @cell9 for releasing the source for NTR cheat plugins that use the cheat menu instead of the outdated button toggles method that has interference with certain games.
Today is the moment you've all been waiting for. this is some simple steps on building your own cheat plugins!
first there are some prerequisites:
you'll need python 2.7 from here
https://www.python.org/download/releases/2.7/
and devkitpro from here
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ds-programming-environment-on-windows.292386/
and you'll need a computer with Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1/10 edit: this also works on the Ematic tablet computer that has Windows 8.1 on it
then get @cell9 's source code here
http://gbatemp.net/threads/source-cheat-menu-plugin-demo-for-ntr-cfw.411032/
and my improvement to the gameplg.c sample file here (i put a sample of adding in more cheat entries)
http://gbatemp.net/threads/source-cheat-menu-plugin-demo-for-ntr-cfw.411032/#post-5996714

ok so here's the steps

1) extract menuCheat.zip from @cell9 's source code thread and replace the gameplg.c in /menuCheat/source/ with the improved sample gameplg.c from my post.

2) open gameplg.c from /menuCheat/sources/ with your source code editor of choice (e.g. notepad++ on Windows or DroidEdit on Android), scroll to near the bottom where the cheats are and edit them with your own found with NTR debugger/Cheat Engine or from someone requesting a cheat plugin for codes they found but dont know how to build cheat plugins. then scroll down more for the cheat entry names and edit them to match the cheats you put in. to add more entries, simply follow the pattern and format of them with proper bracketing and tab-spacing and follow the numbering for the cheats (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.) and hit save in your source code editor. make sure your edited gameplg.c is in /menuCheat/sources/ ! (use FTP transfers if you used DroidEdit like I did lmao)

3) then go to the /menuCheat/ folder and doubleclick the startenv.bat (make sure python and devkitpro are installed before you do this!) and it'll open a command prompt window with the directory aimed at /menuCheat/. then type in build.bat and hit enter! at this point it will run python and build your cheat plugin, which will appear in the /menuCheat/ folder. you can then place cheat.plg in /plugin/[titleid]/ with the appropriate titleid for your game from here
http://3dsdb.com/ and test your NTR custom firmware plugin cheats!
note: @cell9 said so himself that these plugins won't work online so don't expect to ruin games online with this!

Enjoy~

Last edited by supermariorick,

UnlimitedDietWorks

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I know it've been nearly 2 years since this thread was made and reviving old thread is bad.
But I wanted to thank you all. I have absolutely no idea about coding nor programming.
But I am able to create the cheat.plg for Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker.

Everything is posted and clearly explained in both texts and videos.
I urge others to read and view them all before asking and giving up entirely.

Once again, thank you.

David13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello can you convert my codes PLEASE:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
68000178 00000000
B8000178 00000000
20000EDD 00000001
D2000000 00000000
THANK YOU :arc:

David13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
needs proper tabspacing but the format above is correct. as for RAMdumping and finding the codes with NTR debugger ramdumps and cheat engine I have no idea since I haven't tried myself. I have done RAM dumps with spider ARcode but I haven't applied the steps for NTR. my test example gameplg.c has someone else's codes that they requested a cheat plugin be made for.

WRITEU16 is for 16 bit cheat codes (0x1AAAAAAA, 0x0000BBBB) and WRITEU32 is for 32 bit cheat codes (0x0AAAAAAA, 0xBBBBBBBB) and WRITEU8 is for 8 bit cheat codes (0x2AAAAAAA, 0x000000BB) it looks like.

Can you convert my codes PLEASE:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
Ex: (XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX) => WRITEUxx( 0xXXXXXXXX, 0xXXXXXXXX);
THANK YOU

Code:
68000178 00000000
B8000178 00000000
20000EDD 00000001
D2000000 00000000

Ronanklan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love the guide however, i think you should put a warning at the top, that says,"If you dont know C code (Or whatever its called) this building method is probably OUT OF YOU LEAGUE!"

I am trying to follow your guide step by step but when you said,
2) open gameplg.c from /menuCheat/sources/ with your source code editor of choice (e.g. notepad++ on Windows or DroidEdit on Android), scroll to near the bottom where the cheats are and edit them with your own found with NTR debugger/Cheat Engine or from someone requesting a cheat plugin for codes they found but dont know how to build cheat plugins. then scroll down more for the cheat entry names and edit them to match the cheats you put in. to add more entries, simply follow the pattern and format of them with proper bracketing and tab-spacing and follow the numbering for the cheats (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.) and hit save in your source code editor.

That is where you lost me! I was reading through your "template" and it was NOT obvious to me where you actually ENTER the cheats. I am guessing i'm like that because i do not know squat about C Coding.. NOthing whatsoever.. So nothing in that template jumped out at me like, "OK, this is where i enter the Codes..." Dam, i should prolly just stop now huh? You know before i get too aggravated?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

stop necroposting my thread. this tutorial is outdated. use @Nanquitas 's NTR Plugin Manager to put codes into a plugin.
Crap just saw this post ok i will gop there thank you ! Sorry to bother you! Have a great day!

Deleted member 474010

Trophies
XP
Sorry for the necro, but here goes...

I'm building a plugin for a Mode 3 game, so I'm using menuCheat to do so as the game plugin files are small enough to be loaded. After so many cheats were made, the UI Gets really cluttered. How would I make a collapsible menu like this:

Game Mode 1
Cheat 1
Cheat 2
Game Mode 2
Cheat 1
Cheat 2
Random Game Cheat

I'd also like to know how to let a user write a custom value to an address via popping up a UI and typing in the value to be written in hex. If that isn't an option, could you make a scroller that would let the user cycle through options for the address?

Thanks for reading.

EDIT: The plugins made by Nanquitas's tool are too big for Mode 3. I'm making codes on an old 2DS.

Last edited by Deleted member 474010,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto