Broken DVD drive and softmodding

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by knexkid, Nov 1, 2010.

1. knexkid
    OP

knexkid Member

Newcomer
    Feb 5, 2009
    United States
    So I have my Wii hacked to my liking and I'm thinking about getting a wii off ebay for my parents as a gift. I'm on as tight of a budget as possible so I was gonna look at getting a Wii with a broken DVD drive to softmod and then use a USB loader since that doesn't need the drive at all. My only question is if I get a wii with a broken DVD drive, it ABSOLUTELY HAS TO BE

2. Fudge

Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

Banned
    Aug 26, 2009
    United States
    New York
    Correct. If you want to softmod a Wii with a broken DVD drive, you need it to be 4.2 or lower.

3. knexkid
    OP

knexkid Member

Newcomer
    Feb 5, 2009
    United States
    Awesome, thank you. Also, are the black Wii's all 4.3?

4. Presto99

Presto99 You slammin, bro?

Feb 24, 2010
    United States
    Skyworld
    I'm pretty sure they all come with 4.3, unless they were starting to be made before 4.3 was released.

5. WiiPower

WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Oct 17, 2008
    Gambia, The
    It's also important how the drive is damaged. If it's too serious, nothing will work. At least the standard usb loaders won't work in this case.

And no i can't tell you how to identify it other than trying, but maybe there's an indicator you can use.

6. Josh192

Josh192 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 6, 2007
    Disc read errors are the Wii to look for. Although I did manage to get an unboxed Wii with with a working disc drive, all the cables and sensor bar for £40 a couple of months ago (with some haggling [​IMG]). Although that was quite lucky, you may not be so lucky now its getting to xmas.

7. SenorClean

SenorClean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 21, 2008
    Of course you could temporarily put a working dvd drive in it to mod it (ie, the one from your wii...).

Other alternatives would be things like the wode/sundisk/sundrive/wiikey fusion...

8. Sao Mortel

Sao Mortel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 23, 2008
    Canada
    Montreal
    No some of them are 4.2. But if you go buy in the store today 98% chance its on 4.3

WODE is a the better alternative too.