Broken DS hinge. Is it the actual hinge or the shell?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Wilbert96, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Wilbert96
    OP

Wilbert96 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2015
    United States
    Hi. A coupe years back, Mario Kart used to piss me off and I would throw punches at my DS lite. Eventually, something broke and now the top screen does not latch into the different stages; it's just loose. I'm attaching a picture of what it currently looks like. I've been trying to do my own research but am having no luck in finding out if this is a shell or hinge and axle replacement we're looking at.

Can someone tell me what needs to be replaced here? If it is the shell, please specify which part of the shell (upper or lower half).

This is the only visible damage. As far as I can tell, the white piece in there (I think that's the hinge?) is intact. IMG_20150309_160450.jpg

2. BORTZ

BORTZ Don't pretend you aren't impressed

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Its the shell. The only way to fix it is to buy another shell and to a total replacement.

3. Wilbert96
    OP

Wilbert96 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2015
    United States
    What part of the shell? I'll just find that part particularly and replace that.

4. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view user location.
  5. Kurt91

Kurt91 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 9, 2012
    United States
    Newport, WA
    Oh hey, I have the exact same issue with mine, it's even the same size break in the exact same location. If I were to buy a new shell, how difficult would it be to fix? You think I might be better off just sending it somewhere to get repaired instead? I've never had to fix something like this before.

6. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view user location.