Hacking Bringing back the ability to boot flash carts on 3DS and DSi

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm... that is an idea. I know people have used the ARDSi to boot older flash carts, but considering DSi/3DS-compatible carts can be had for $20 or less, the passthrough device has gotta' be pretty cheap to warrant the ability to use an older cart.
So get an ARDSi and cut out everything that isn't important and mass-produce it.

Reactions: 1 person

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Hm... that is an idea. I know people have used the ARDSi to boot older flash carts, but considering DSi/3DS-compatible carts can be had for $20 or less, the passthrough device has gotta' be pretty cheap to warrant the ability to use an older cart.
So get an ARDSi and cut out everything that isn't important and mass-produce it.

I was going to say the same thing action replay does what the op was describing minus the sd card, the action replay dsi was blocked by nintendo so even this theory will not work, also all flashcarts use a game id for a ginuwine ds game already, using the bypass method that the op has throght can again be blocked out, nintendo will just block the game id and the exploit will be gone.

The only theory that will work is to ditch flashcarts and go straight to the firmware, block all of nintendo update servers so they can't "handshake" with the 3ds and you will never have to worry about nintendo killing all flashcarts remotely again, basically fortify the console first so nothing can get in then hack away, i've said the same thing with the vita but they are still wasting thier time with that stupid vloader thing and sony just patches it everytime they update it, they will always be playing cat and mouse with sony unless they fortify the firmware and stop sony from updating the console.

Heh, don't get me started as to why i hate current gen and firmware updates.

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's actually a good idea. The only caveat being how to get it to boot in the first place.
From what I gathered, this update didn't block carts in the usual way. If you could indeed bypass that, I'm sure a lot of ppl would be happy.
This would pretty much entail figuring out what nintendo looks at when going for a flashcart block and doing something totally different. I honestly don't think a save hack will do the trick, but u never know.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
3DS/DSi automatically stop running DS code as soon as you eject the cart. So the idea of swapping DS card will never work.

The best way to hack 3DS is to develop CFW. Flashcarts exist because there is no convenience way to flash DS firmware, but this is different on 3DS.

Reactions: 1 person

thealeks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually just the older action replay dsi that could run homebrew was blocked. There is a 3DS compatible version that doesnt run homebrew.

both action replay dsi and the 3ds compatible version both work on the 3ds, both version can be updated and can now work on the latest firmware for now.
Actually only the 3DS version works on the 3DS. The older version has been blocked and datel doesnt release updates for it anymore(aside from new cheats). I have the older version.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, hacking 3DS mode would be more desirable, but arguably more difficult and certainly beyond my limitations. Another idea that occurred to me was booting using some kind of DS download play exploit (so the cart is never changed), but I don't think any exist.

I spent a little time yesterday trying to transfer the DS menu to my 3DS using my DS Lite as a download station, but I never really expected it to work (it crashes).

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Well there's an exploit to send over data, but it's limited in size and still runs in DS-mode, and even if it was just used for a launcher/loader program (would easily fit in the space) you'd need something to send it to the DS anyways, which notes a requirement for a secondary device (another DS with a flash cart, a Wii, a PC) on each boot, which is less than ideal compared to just using a flash cart.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well there's an exploit to send over data, but it's limited in size and still runs in DS-mode, and even if it was just used for a launcher/loader program (would easily fit in the space) you'd need something to send it to the DS anyways, which notes a requirement for a secondary device (another DS with a flash cart, a Wii, a PC) on each boot, which is less than ideal compared to just using a flash cart.
It's more ideal than buying a DSTwo for some people, though.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Are you sure? Searching, I could only find the original exploit that was fixed in the DS lite versions. I can't find any other exploits.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Yeah, it's time for a CFW. The DS lite wasn't able to run it because he doesn't have enough space for the roms. No one wanted to hack the DSi. But now it's time to make a custom firmware! Flashcards are outdated!

Off you go then.

Do let us know how you get on. We're all eager to see what you come up with! :)

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yeah, it's time for a CFW. The DS lite wasn't able to run it because he doesn't have enough space for the roms. No one wanted to hack the DSi. But now it's time to make a custom firmware! Flashcards are outdated!

Off you go then.

Seems like you want to say that it's very difficult to write souch a channel.

Do you have tried it?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure? Searching, I could only find the original exploit that was fixed in the DS lite versions. I can't find any other exploits.
I know there was something later that involved sending it from the Wii, but I don't know what it was named (as few people gave a damn).

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand

Off you go then.

Do you have tried it?

No I haven't tried it. Because I know that, despite being a software engineer, I have nowhere near the knowledge to even start. You don't even need to know anything about programming though to realise it's not an easy task. Just looking around here you will find the reasons why it's not easy.

Sounds like you're a lop more experienced than me, though. Perhaps you have a background in hardware? Well that's great. The scene really needs somebody like you. Like I say, we're all dying to try out what you manage to produce.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The

Off you go then.

Do you have tried it?

No I haven't tried it. Because I know that, despite being a software engineer, I have nowhere near the knowledge to even start. You don't even need to know anything about programming though to realise it's not an easy task. Just looking around here you will find the reasons why it's not easy.

Sounds like you're a lop more experienced than me, though. Perhaps you have a background in hardware? Well that's great. The scene really needs somebody like you. Like I say, we're all dying to try out what you manage to produce.
I havn't the nessecary knowledge but I think that it's not sooo hard for real pros.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*