Hacking Bricked. Preloader Installed. BootMii as IOS (have nand backup).

1337Rooster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Need some Advice, I bricked my wii. Heres exactly how I bricked it.

I followed these two guides to try and softmod it.
1. http://my.afterdawn.com/larrylje_redwings/..._entry.cfm/3809
2. http://my.afterdawn.com/larrylje_redwings/..._entry.cfm/3810

I completed guide #1 and up to and including step 5 of guide #2. Once I installed preloader, I tried to return to the system menu and it would only display the preloader boot screen. I just see 4.1 USA in the bottom left when I turn on my wii now. I can get to the preloader menu (explained below)

I didn't check the serial number on my wii it is an LU65 Wii which the guide reccomends not using. My bad, I believe this is what caused the brick

Heres the limitations of my brick:
If I put a wii game in my console and turn it on it will boot into the game (only tested with wii sports).
If I put a GC game into the console it does not boot into it (tested with SSBM)
If I hold the reset button I can bring up the Preloader menu, get into Home Brew Channel and Boot Mii (Installed as IOS). It seemd I can't revert my flash with the image I saved earlier, I get this error message from BootMii:

"BootMii not found, too dangerous to continue! If your SD is corrupt or restore is interrupted, you will be unable to boot to fix it."

Any suggestions on how to remedy this? Would I need to install the old System Menu through WAD manager? Is this risky to do with LU64? Has anyone else bricked their Wii the same way?

Thanks in advance,
let me know if you need more information.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You CAN do a NAND restore with bootmii as an IOS by pressing A+B+X+Y on the GC controller, but it doesn't say it's too dangerous to continue for no reason. If that doesn't restore properly it will brick your Wii FAR beyond recovery.

The danger in installing a system menu wad is that it will get rid of preloader, so if that doesn't fix the brick you'd be totally screwed.

Did you not go to the system menu at all after any of the steps in the second guide? Because if you Wii really is an LU64+/boot2v4 Wii (note that the serial number is a poor method of determining this as it is possible to have an LU64+ labeled Wii that is still a boot2v3 Wii and a Wii with a serial less than LU64 that IS a boot2v4 Wii.) but anyways if it is a boot2v4 Wii, it would have been bricked after the first step in the second guide, not the 5th. (not to mention the first guide wouldn't have even worked at all either.)

If you were successfully able to downgrade your system to 3.2 and then upgrade to 4.1 and run IOS downgrader again after that and still were able to use the system menu, it is highly likely that you do not have an LU64+/boot2v4 Wii.

Did you already enable the system menu hacks in preloader? If so what hacks did you enable. Before continuing with trying to install anything, first try to disable any hacks you enabled and see if it works and if it still doesn't, try setting preloader to load the system menu from IOS249 or something.

You actually never even said loading the system menu gives you a system menu is corrupt message, so it sounds more like you just enabled a hack to autoboot a disc or something which seems more likely to be your only problem.

1337Rooster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you guys so much. The autoboot was the problem. I thought hey this sounds like a good feature. I didn't realize that it doesn't let you into the wii system menu at all. I figured that if you selected "SystemMenu" in preloader you would get to the wi system menu.

Awesome so it looks like I don't have the LU64, I suppose that I can continue with that guide. Great community going on here, hopefully I can contribute to others a bit now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.