Hardware Bricked my friends Wii-now wBSOD

kylster

mich weich töten
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My friend has 2 Wii; one he bought about a year ago and one he bought for only $50 from a friend who no longer cared for it. I went over his house to fix the 1st Wii and make it permantly soft-moded with a Custom System Menu; which went great and all. The 2nd Wii he just bought I realized was purchased at launch after running letter bomb and seeing as I could install BootMii@boot2 (definitely a plus, or so I though). So I got the homebrew installed and BootMii@boot2 and went into WiiMod to install a newer System Menu but I forgot to choose the options "yes" for both Set Version# and Required IOS. The Wii was originally on 4.3U and when I was trying to install 4.1U; during the end of installation it said FINISHING INSTALLING SYSTEM MENU! OK! it stayed on this screen for almost 30mins. So I held the power button down to turn it off (Yes, my mistake) and I figured cause BootMii is installed @boot2 I should still be able to acess the HBC and worse case scenario use GiantPunes app to recreate a Wii Virgin Nand and restore with that; however none of this was the case.

The Wii currently does not display anything on the T.V.; I have used ModMii to recreat the bootmii files for SD card and tried to access bootmii like this. I have tried what I think was cBoot2 method but still BSOD.

I do think bootmii is still installed at boo2 cause the Wii boots up and I get 1 solid blue light follow by 2 very rapid blue lights. If I hit the eject button I can hear it trying to eject a disc even though there is no disc in there. I'm not sure if any of this matters but I know the Wii is still responsive cause of this.

So basic rundown:
  • Wii boots up to black screen
  • Front LED turns 1 solid blue, immeaditly following 2 very rapid flashes
  • Wii Recognizes eject button and attempts to eject disc
  • Wii turns on and off like normal just no sound or screen

Any help would be appreciated and thanks for time if you read all of this. Please do not bash me unless you have something helpful to go along with it.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hold down the reset button(? havnt done this in a long time you guys is this right?) on boot and it will boot you into bootmii, from there you can run a wad manager and install a system menu wad(do ppl still do stuff like this, they may be a 10x easyer way I havnt done this in a long long long time....)

kylster

mich weich töten
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That actually is for Priiloader which I do not have installed. Boot@boot2 is suppose to boot up befor the Wii itself.

Anyone know if SaveMii will still work if the wii gets no signal output?

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmmm. the two flashed indicate bootmii at boot2.

i just tested on my wiis, the two flashes are bootmii@boot2. so bootmii is there.

have you checked the video cables? i know it sounds dumb but gotta start somewhere.

savemiifrii may help but i don't think you'll need it. something to try, but may not be helpful, get a sneek install on SD and see if loads. it should, if it does you need to get into bootmii so you can fix this.

pm me and let me know if you try the sneek method, im curious to find out how you get this fixed. installing sneek may not help you fix this problem, but will indicate if bootmii is functioning properly. if it is, its just a matter of getting in there and fixing this. i don't know much about wiimod, but i do know that modmii or just generally installing proper wads is the best route to follow. modmii will also create the sneek files for you too.

kylster

mich weich töten
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just formatted my 2GB SanDisk SD card to FAT32 w/16cluster size (this is the same as I use on my own launch Wii) copied over bootmii + emulated nand made by ModMii latest version (4.7.1) and still Wii black screens.

I'm up for any idea's however I feel the only 2 options I have are DeadlyFoez or SaveMii.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Weird are you useing the bootmii data on sd as it was when bootmii installed it? Like you didn't put the files in a file so it wouldn't auto boot bootmii?(sorry I dont remember if boot me is at root or not)

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and i assume you didn't install priiloader?

ahh NM just saw earlier post...forget i said it. but really priiloader is a must after HBC/bootmii install

kylster

mich weich töten
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Weird are you useing the bootmii data on sd as it was when bootmii installed it? Like you didn't put the files in a file so it wouldn't auto boot bootmii?(sorry I dont remember if boot me is at root or not)The same file structure I have for my sd card (which I also tried my own) does not work on this Wii for what ever reason. I have also tried using the file structure made by ModMii (which is the same as mine just newly created files) and this did not work either.
I took the SD out of my Wii and placed it in their and got nothing; but on my Wii placing the card back in will cause bootmii to load up before PostLoader which i'm autoboot to. So the file structure is correct.

QUOTEand i assume you didn't install priiloader?
Correct, usually i've just put the HBC on the Wii, installed a Custom System Menu and did an official update and left everything as is so no priiloader (everyone's who Wii I mod is too computer illiterate to install anything so that's why I leave out priiloader)

EDIT: just got a triiwing screwdriver off ebay to see if SaveMiifrii will work though i'm not familiar with it; but hopefully I can get this worked out. I'm thinking the IOS60 was a STUB and the fact my System Menu is corrupt are the 2 things stopping me from fixing this; aside from Bootmii not functioning properly.

Say does anyone know if nintendo would be able to tell if I did anything to it due to the fact of it getting no video signal?

EDIT2: Do you think putting a disk in with a 4.3U update will fix this or if a Wii is booting to BSOD will it not autoboot like this?

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
System menu 4.3 stubs IOS 60 and 70. When you installed system menu 4.1, it attempts to use either 60 or 70 (I forget which one and that may be why it is bricked).

Another thing I have seen is I installed bootmii@boot2 with video component cables. When I had to use composite cables, the screen never shows up. It's defined somewhere what the output signal is, if it isn't the correct one it would stay at a black screen. But of course pressing the reset and power button would still work and it would load into the wii fine. Unless you still have stubbed ios 60 or 70 and it can't load into the system menu.

Just to be sre: set up bootmii again on the SD card and press reset (to move over homebrew channel) and power to access the homebrew channel. Also, the SD card needs to be formatted to work with bootmii as boot2 and not ios.

kylster

mich weich töten
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Just to be sre: set up bootmii again on the SD card and press reset (to move over homebrew channel) and power to access the homebrew channel. Also, the SD card needs to be formatted to work with bootmii as boot2 and not ios.
This is some god-given advice though not fully intended to work the way you suggested
tongue.gif
but thanks.

I kept turning off the Wii and alternating between power and reset; I say I hit it about 15-20 times befor powering down and finally after a few minutes of doing this the Wii boots up into bootmii thank you
tongue.gif
and now I am able to install a new system menu and etc. albeit I have never known an issue being solved like this would this mean the sd slot is malfunctioning?

Please keep in mind this is my SD card I use on my functioning Wii almost everyday.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^^wooot

It's possible; it can be a few things. Once you get the system menu worked out, you should totally diagnose it. During the system menu, the SD icon lights up when an SD card is in. So you can try putting it in and out and see if it detects it everytime or if there is a certain spot you need to push on. It could even be simple things like dust considering it's not dead.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
glad to see you got it working. sent you a pm with a nice way to mod the wii after hbc installed. its fool proof, as long as you got hbc installed and a wad manager with a way to install wads, such as ios 236. there are no stubs, and they are all safe for any system menu version.

kylster

mich weich töten
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sweet and thanks VashTS and you to Zetta_X

The SD card seems to work fine for what ever reason now hm.. Still this puzzles me cause bootmii even though @boot2 does not load up right now. It goes strait to the system menu and I only took out the SD card to put additional files on it.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
kylster said:
Sweet and thanks VashTS and you to Zetta_X

The SD card seems to work fine for what ever reason now hm.. Still this puzzles me cause bootmii even though @boot2 does not load up right now. It goes strait to the system menu and I only took out the SD card to put additional files on it.
Use this to make a new bootmii.ini file:
http://www.mediafire.com/?f977arl2v5k6wqu

kylster

mich weich töten
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sweet deal; the Wii is packaged up right now and i'm kind of glad it's over and done with
tongue.gif
thank everyone who contributed you just eased a worried mans mind.

Hezkore

Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry to dig this up, but I'm have this issue too... And my Wii's been in the closet for about 2 years now so I'm not quite sure what "set up bootmii again on the SD card" means. :S
I'd really like to get my Wii running again, can anyone give some noob instructions? x)

Hezkore

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't remember, it was such a long time ago...
But I do know I followed a guide saying like "Now if your Wii gets bricked, do this and that to recover!" but exactly what that is.. I don't remember. x_X
I also remember me holding down the Reset button to enter some sort of "special" menu once, but that doesn't work anymore. (?)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: what is the latest hfw?