Breaking Nintendo DS News

E

exile

well it is just a demo I think DemonStar, and the games are probably cheaper than $50, but still with that game and pictochat (which should have never been sold seperately I don't think) it still is a good deal. Hopefully you can get one soon after your birthday if not on it then
biggrin.gif

mxmai

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
amazing how many people don't actually read the news post before asking dumb questions.

awesome news on all fronts, except the battery life is a little bit poorer than i expected (6-10 hours sounds like marketing jargon for "5 hours on average, 10 if you sit it there with the lights off and it doesn't do anything"). also, no multiplayer for GBA games? i wonder if they'll enable GBA multiplayer over WLAN, or if it's just a no-go?

anyway, time will tell. i've still got mine preordered, screw waiting for the australian release.

-mxmai

E

exile

I think the assumption is that the new gba games supporting the wireless adapter will work on the DS in multiplayer mode, but the older ones will not be supported. Sucks for Four Swords as to me that was the only older gba game that had multiplayer that mattered. Other than that I am happy everything is moving to wireless and fully support it.

Hero-Link

Hero of Derrr
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I think the assumption is that the new gba games supporting the wireless adapter will work on the DS in multiplayer mode, but the older ones will not be supported. Sucks for Four Swords as to me that was the only older gba game that had multiplayer that mattered. Other than that I am happy everything is moving to wireless and fully support it.
lol you can always buy Zelda Four Swords for DS.. when it comes out of course

yes bakhalishta, 150 american dollars. 125€uros in Europe
tongue.gif

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The fact that Hunters is a demo is even better news than if it were the full game; it means the cartridge prices must be retardedly cheap. Rock on, Nintendo, I can't wait for November.
smile.gif

E

exile

The fact that Hunters is a demo is even better news than if it were the full game; it means the cartridge prices must be retardedly cheap. Rock on, Nintendo, I can't wait for November.
smile.gif
Yep that is what I posted above bro. Hehe I am more happy about that than anything. It is really word being more happy about a demo than the real game. Though now that I know they can do it, I want the real game packed in instead
rolleyes.gif
, hehe and tons of demos available through different outlets and sources and for preordering and other good ways
laugh.gif
Nintendo has created a monster and they don't even know it, hehe.

Rath

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm not importing mine because I'm going to Japan in December XD. By then I'll have my spending money prepared and the Japanese shall feel my wrath of 16 odd thousand yen!

I reckon the games will be costly because the console is so cheap. I don't think we have so many hotspots down under and that really limits the Pictochat. Will Pictochat cost to use (like SMS) or is a free service?

Inu268

woof
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
they are releasing it first on USA cause of metroid......japan can NEVER get metroid first,it is a rule,and since it is coming with the console(even though it is a demo)....

th3sandm4n

I'm here for the knowledge!
Trophies
Website
www.Websiteofdoom.com
XP
Country
United States
I've got to start looking for these "hotspots" so i can be able to play online, since most of my friends aren't as big game addicts as me =/

Cause it would be really nice playing Multiplayer, maybe some CS:DS
wink.gif

E

exile

I'm not importing mine because I'm going to Japan in December XD. By then I'll have my spending money prepared and the Japanese shall feel my wrath of 16 odd thousand yen!

I reckon the games will be costly because the console is so cheap. I don't think we have so many hotspots down under and that really limits the Pictochat. Will Pictochat cost to use (like SMS) or is a free service?
Assuming you have the ability to use it, it will be free. Meaning if you have either a wireless network available or someone near you with a ds you can lan with. I think the games will be cheap. Nintendo has a lot vested in this thing succeeding and has went out of their way to make sure that it doesn't go the way of the virtual boy. Have they sealed the deal yet on that one? Hmm not so sure yet, but they are close. Top notch games help. Tons of support helps. Low price helps. The last thing that will ensure it is reasonably priced games (and for that matter games that don't suck and aren't just gimmicks). Nintendo knows that is the only way to sell systems and make money. I think we will all be pleasantly surprised to see what nintendo does.

With cheaper development it gives nintendo a lot of room to do things. They can sell games that are shorter (budget titles of sorts) or more like demos or not fully realized for way cheaper than a normal full blown game would sell. There is a lot they can do with the flexibility that they have bought themselves. You see it all of the time on consoles, games that come out for $39.99 or $29.99 or whatever, for whatever reason. Most of them cause they suck. LOL. But nintendo could lower the price $10, maybe $15-$20 for games that are small on premise but long on fun. Puzzle games come to mind at first thought. But you get the point.

EDIT----------------------

No More Passwords

Last week, it was revealed to developers at a Nintendo DS developer conference that Nintendo will no longer give publishers the option. All DS cartridges, regardless of size, will feature save RAM. Essentially, every game released for the system will have some sort of memory save built-in.

The size of the save RAM in Nintendo DS games will be equivalent to what's already available on the Game Boy Advance: 4 kilobits (half a kilobyte) for starters, with sizes all the way up to 512 kilobits (64 kilobytes) and beyond made available to games that require it. Naturally, the larger the storage capacity, the more expensive the cartridge's manufacturing price.

Excerpt taken from - ds.ign.com

--------------------------------

I don't understand how this works if they are using flash cards of sorts, (like the ngage, or digital cameras use). How is it possible for it to have a true SRAM, I guess is what I am getting at? I understand that the game cards will be in different sizes, that makes sense just as normal flash cards at the store are, and it would make sense that they would go up in price as the size of them goes up. But I guess I am just confused on how it seperates where the game data is and where it writes the save to. Can anyone shed some light on this as I have never looked into it and find it interesting?

spanks54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
they are releasing it first on USA cause of metroid......japan can NEVER get metroid first,it is a rule,and since it is coming with the console(even though it is a demo)....
Actualy, I bet its because of Christmas. Nintendo thinks that instead of a early 05 release, releasing right before christmas will bring a huge raise in sales on this side of the Pacific. Probably, the only real reason for not releasing in Japan simotaniously, if not earlier, is the fact that Japan doesn't have the same shopping rise and they only have a production line large enough to handle 1 major market's sales. Just speculation, but I bet they finished far before they expected to and figured they would hit the big US shopping dates.

PS. I'm not 100% sure about Japan not having the sales raise. I mean, I don't know that much about their culture, but I believe I'm right. If not, tell me. I'll admit te wrong and apologize if so.

Jojjy Ugnick

shake your bonbon
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I think including a demo of the new Metroid game is a fantastic idea because many people, including myself, are very skeptical on how it will fare, control and gameplay wise. This will give us a chance to see how great or how awful it is.

I doubt I'll be buying this though. If I do it won't be at launch. No i learned my lesson last time with the GBA, buying it at launch, having no good games for a while, and then the SP coming out...

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think including a demo of the new Metroid game is a fantastic idea because many people, including myself, are very skeptical on how it will fare, control and gameplay wise. This will give us a chance to see how great or how awful it is.

I doubt I'll be buying this though. If I do it won't be at launch. No i learned my lesson last time with the GBA, buying it at launch, having no good games for a while, and then the SP coming out...
Okay so what I hate about demos. They're pretty good at the beggining, you play for about 1 hour, then the demo seems like it's a real game, you enjoy it, beat the first boss, then it ends. OMFGWTFBBQ!!! Then you have to wait months until you can buy the game, which hella pisses you off.

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is truly awesome!
laugh.gif

I was going to buy the DS even if it was $199.99 and without any games.

I am so sold on buying the DS!
One thing would make it nice would be a web browser and word processing abilities. But I guess you can't have it all *eagerly waits for the DS flash cards*

Heh, Nintendo is always full of surprises.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/9seCZUSS8zE?si=xMNkLYWrWl6kDH44