Breaking Nintendo DS News

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Opium, Sep 21, 2004.

Sep 21, 2004

Breaking Nintendo DS News by Opium at 9:15 AM (10,114 Views / 0 Likes) 129 replies

1. Opium
    OP

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Featured Posts:
    Australia
    [​IMG]

The official North American release date and price has been revealed. Plus more info.

The Nintendo DS will be released on 21/11/04 in North America at the price point of $149.99. Much lower then expected.

PictoChat will come built-in to the Nintendo DS. Your DS will spring to life out of sleep mode when you recieve a new message with this chat software.

Also Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt will come boxed with every Nintendo DS *UPDATE* This is only a multiplayer demo NOT the full game

Certainly some great news. The inclusion of a boxed game is quite amazing. But my sneaking suspisions are that Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt is a purely multiplayer DS game. However this is just my speculation, don't hold me to it.

The European and Australian release is still Q1 2005 and December 2nd for Japan. North America will get the DS before Japan

*UPDATE* No Nintendo DS game will have Password save. Every DS game will have battery backup.

Important Quotes directly from the Nintendo Press Site:

"Nintendo DS has a flip-top cover that protects both screens. Two speakers on the unit's face let users hear virtual surround sound, while its dual screens open games to a multitude of possibilities. Nintendo DS sits 148.7 millimeters (5.85 inches) wide, 84.7 millimeters (3.33 inches) long and 28.9 millimeters (1.13 inches) tall with the cover closed. The new media format for games means that Nintendo DS has no moving parts that could be misaligned if the unit is dropped or jarred.

"Embedded PictoChat software that allows up to 16 users to chat at once, embedded real-time clock, date, time and alarm, touch-screen calibration"

"Lithium ion battery delivering six to 10 hours of play on a four-hour charge, depending on use"

"The voice capabilities also could allow gamers to chat with one another over the Internet while playing."

Not confirmed news, signs point to being true:

-The Nintendo DS will only be released in one colour scheme (silver & black) at release
    -The Nintendo DS will most likely be region-free as the PictoChat software built in is in a variety of different languages (English, Japanese, Spanish, French, German, Italian)

4 New Nintendo DS Images:

NDS1
    NDS2
    NDS3
    NDS4

2. Devis0r

Member Devis0r Advanced Member

Featured Posts:
    Australia
    That is sweet!

3. ZeminkoX

Member ZeminkoX GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    United Kingdom
    Oh yeah baby! I hope Metroid Hunters: First Hunt comes boxed with the European release too... it better.

4. Game316

Newcomer Game316 Member

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Thats some good news. More closer to paying it off [​IMG].

5. _lufia_

Newcomer _lufia_ Member

Featured Posts:
    Netherlands
    THis is ssooooo coool [​IMG] o don't know if I'm going to buy it but change is very big now because it's cheap. but most of the time if something is cheap it is very bad [​IMG] so I think about it [​IMG]

6. Opium
    OP

Featured Posts:
    Australia
    I'm really excited by the news that there will be a built in real time clock, calander, time and alarm. Can anyone say PDA? It looks like the DS will have it's own mini operating system, PictoChat. Perhaps more PDA applications are available in PictoChat that don't revolve around multiplayer.

Also note the battery length is between 6-10 hours. Lower than I expected [​IMG] I guess the 10 hours is for if it's in sleep mode the whole time. However it says that's running on a 4 hour charge. The question is, is a 4 hour charge charging the battery to it's fullest. My bet is that it is.
    There are 4 new pictures of the DS as well, I'm just grabbing the big 600kb+ versions directly from Nintendo (on my 56k). I'll upload some smaller versions once I've got them.

7. Dark_Lord Malik

Member Dark_Lord Malik Proud Pakistani

Featured Posts:
    Pakistan
    *points at the battery life and laughs* what a short battery life DS has...............
    It`s a great news but i am still waiting for the PSP...

8. _lufia_

Newcomer _lufia_ Member

Featured Posts:
    Netherlands
    I have a question:
    For that picto chat do you have te go online with de Nds or is it just that you can sent a message in about 1Km because I heard something about that. Is this true or not?

9. Smirre

Member Smirre GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    WOW what a machine this will be!! [​IMG]

10. Opium
    OP

Featured Posts:
    Australia
    I'm assuming you can connect to a hotspot and chat with people all over the world with PictoChat. Voice chat is also possible all over the world. You could even play a game AND talk with someone at the same time.

Here are the new images:

NDS1
    NDS2
    NDS3
    NDS4

11. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

Featured Posts:
    United Kingdom
    I will admit that the NDS is making my anticipation meter go off the scale but I have small things that I don't like about it. Why no analogue stick? It works with the Neo Geo Pocket Color. I wonder if someone will make a homebrew internet browser?

12. IxthusTiger

Member IxthusTiger Cruddy's Buddy

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Well I heard that the D-Pad is ANALOG but I think I also saw an internal pic of the DS and the d-pad wasn't analog

13. benzxi

Member benzxi GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    Philippines
    i just have a big feeling the DS won't do much as a gaming unit. (maybe my frustration on a pda-gamephone aka, ngage).

besides, if ever i think to buy one, it'l take around 2 years to finally buy one. let the prices fall, let the dev
    t community figure out how to use other methods of game storage, etc, etc, etc. just my personal feeling.

14. Dedale

Member Dedale GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    Canada
    is there a store where we can pre-order it (other than lik-sang !) ?

15. benzxi

Member benzxi GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    Philippines
    from ign.

although it's backward compatible, no link cable? *sigh*

16. Chiaki

Member Chiaki GBAtemp Fan

Featured Posts:
    Germany
    I guess it will be WLAN compatible with the new GBA Wireless link cable

17. Lily

Former Staff Lily One Scary Lady

Featured Posts:
    Canada
    This is the best news, ever! A low price point, good battery life, a boxed game included with the system..*faints*.

I lub you, Nintendo. [​IMG]

18. ZeminkoX

Member ZeminkoX GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    United Kingdom
    This might be a bit off-topic... but I've always wondered is... where exactly do you put the stylus? [​IMG] Is there a compartment for it or do you just leave it lying around next to the DS? [​IMG]

19. matt1freek

Member matt1freek GBAtemp Fan

Featured Posts:
    United States
    They say theres a place for the stylus but i havent seen it in any of the pictures.

20. soul2soul

Newcomer soul2soul Advanced Member

Featured Posts:
    Netherlands
    *points at the battery life and laughs* what a short battery life PSP has...............
    It will be 3 hours or so [​IMG]