Brciked right after Nintendo shipped it back.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Layfon, Oct 8, 2009.

Oct 8, 2009
  1. Layfon
    OP

Newcomer Layfon Newbie

United States
    Hi, I just signed up and I'm new to the forums. I've always been a lurker / leecher.
    Anyways, I have a problem with my wii now, I figure I must've made a mistake on my own.
    But I want to figure a few things out.

Nintendo has held my Wii for about a Week, along with my Smash Bros Brawl game disc. It had problems reading it and a few other games, and it didn't read any Gamecube discs.

It came back fixed, Nintendo replaced my disc drive and a fan, free of charge too. Every game I own booted up great.
    Games ran perfectly, the Wii stopped making loud sounds and no more DREs.

I put the HBC on the Wii menu and it loaded up fine, all the homebrew i had worked fine. I figure I would try to load backups later so I ran CIOSCORP3.3 and it ran fine.

My friends came over since the Wii came back and we played Brawl for a few hours, and we were all happy.

We turned off the Wii and went out for Pizza

When we got back I booted the Wii, only to find that the screen now remains black, actually not just black, its on the channel that says VIDEO in the corner, and doesn't boot into Wii menu. Dvd ejects and accepts disks but my Wii remote wont sync.

I've read around all the Wii sites and found nothing.

IS there any hope or should I ship it out to Nintendo again?

2. Thomas83Lin

Member Thomas83Lin Retro Gamer

United States
    I see nothing you have done wrong, i suspect your Bluetooth module has either came loose or as went bad,
    Giving that you are telling us the truth about your wii playing fine, then not working when you came back.
    when the problem first started could you turn on the wii with your wiimote, i dont mean after you tried to re-sync it either when it first happend

3. illinialex24

Member illinialex24 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Did you have any brick protection??

4. damysteryman

Member damysteryman I am too busy IRL these days...

Antarctica
    That is strange... it just stopped you say? Either someone or something broke it while you were gone, or it could be a hardware error. Check that your av cables are properly connected. Also check your bluetooth adapter and wifi adapter (these last 2 require you to open up you wii).

Do you have bootmii installed? If so, try removing your SD Card. If it boots into the wii menu,
    reinsert your SD Card and reinstall bootmii. (this solution will only work if you have bootmii installed)

Maybe leave the Wii unplugged from the power outlet for a while.

If none of this works, and you have no way of booting up the wii, I guess you'll have to go see Nintendo again (and they won't be happy once they find HBC and cIOSCORP, they'll make you pay for repairs.)

5. Layfon
    OP

Newcomer Layfon Newbie

United States
    No, I updated the Wii to 4.1U before sending it in, and uninstalled everything else too. So it was a virgin when it went in, and a virgin when it came back.
    I wouldn't have posted here if I had Preloader, I probably could've figured something out, but as of now, I'm stumped

6. Thomas83Lin

Member Thomas83Lin Retro Gamer

United States
    that rules out Bluetooth then, like da-letter said try leaving it unpluged for awhile, or you possibly could be the Wifi adapter module

7. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Definitely try the unplugging thing. I've seen that fix problems like this more than once.

8. Layfon
    OP

Newcomer Layfon Newbie

United States
    Yeah I know, that was why I had those uninstalled the first time I shipped it out.

Edit
    Been another hour, still no luck, Is there anything else I can do?

9. Layfon
    OP

Newcomer Layfon Newbie

United States
    I know I shouldn't be double posting, but I want a few more replies before I pack it up and ship it out again.I'll probably ship it out tomorrow.

10. Eerpow

Member Eerpow *swoosh*

Sweden
    You say that nothing happens on the screen when you turn it on (VIDEO shows up in the corner of the screen).
    Maybe your audio video cables don't work, borrow a friends. The Wii don't seems to be bricked to me.
    Does anything happen to the screen when you turn it on, Does the text VIDEO flicker?

11. Layfon
    OP

Newcomer Layfon Newbie

United States
    Just now my friend brought over his Wii, So I tried his cable, still nothing.
    So we tried hooking up his Wii using my cables. Worked no problem, My Wiimote synced with his Wii easily too.

Yes the text VIDEO does flicker slightly, but I don't think the TV is receiving any signal, because usually when I play a game console, like my PS3 or earlier my working Wii, once the console boots up VIDEO disappears.

I'm ever more confused now

12. Eerpow

Member Eerpow *swoosh*

Sweden
    Maybe Nintendo screwed-up?
    I just doesn't you bricked it.
    You should send it in...

13. metroid4life14

Member metroid4life14 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Might be a stupid suggestion, but are you on the right video input? Many tvs have multiple video input and hitting the "video" button toggles between these channels.

If you say your friends' wii doesn't work either, it's obviously not a brick with your wii or a connection issue.

14. Eerpow

Member Eerpow *swoosh*

Sweden
    He only tried the cables, his friends wii worked.

15. lll

Member lll GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Did you install bootmii as boot2? If you did, it may be booting in a different video mode to what your TV can support, so try removing your SD card before turning the Wii on.

As suggested above, assuming no one touched anything while you were out getting that pizza, then it sounds more like a hardware problem (specifically, bluetooth or wifi modules) You could try sending it back to Ninty coz it just sounds like something's come loose in shipping, but you installed CIOSCORP (ick) and that's going to be noticed if they look for mods once they repair it and there were reports of them charging people with homebrew of any sort big fees.

16. robiul

Member robiul GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    dude you should have installed bootmii or preloader before anything else.

17. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Can't agree more here. Bootmii is a real necessity nowadays. Preloader would be useless against this type of brick, since either the menu IOS is likely hosed.

And for the future: cIOSCORP = FAIL. I've personally had one too many bad experiences with it. (Bricked 2 wiis running 4.0U using it. Thankfully they had bootmii at boot2.) If you want to play games, use a decent loader like NeoGamma, or one of the many USB Loaders...

18. robiul

United States
    Bootmii on boot2 rules [​IMG] , I had to send a bricked wii, which I bricked but I couldn't install bootmii on boot2, I paid for it to repair, to my surprise I was able to install bootmii to boot2 without knowing!

19. Layfon
    OP

Newcomer Layfon Newbie

United States
    Well yeah, I know that now, but it's not like I knew that it was going to happen. I played it fine and figured I could have installed it later when all my friends went home.

20. robiul

United States
    I highly doubt they'll be looking for mods, just say it was in that state when you bought it off ebay.
    Just ship it out quickly and get it back, you'll be missing out on nintendo gaming against me.