triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
You obviously have not fought "real competitors" at tournaments, otherwise you'd understand how unbalanced Melee is.
APEX 2012 results

Brawl Top 8
gallery_90032_1213_2334.png

Melee Top 8
gallery_90032_1213_4644.png

(especially now that Meta is banned)
The ruleset in question (Unity 2.1) was generally ignored by the tournament scene and in fact led to the disbanding of the committee which maintains said ruleset.

They tried to ban him and failed.
Funny how Jigglypuff is a beast in Melee, but not so much in Brawl. Rest abuse FTW!

Tsuteto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then you would understand the game is far less balanced in Melee if you truly have. In Melee, you practically have to use characters that are mid-high (and mid is even pushing it at times) to actually compete. In Brawl, you can use BOTTOM tier, and still place well. Again, I use Zelda. According to how tier rankings are, I shouldn't be able to place well, yet I consistently have. I may struggle a bit more because of some disadvantages, but I still can take most people just fine who use, say, Snake, or Marth.

If you fight anyone in Melee with a bottom tier character, and they're using high tier, you're screwed. End of story. There's only a few people who have expertised with low tier and done well in tourneys, but that's also because no one knows how to fight said characters at times.

EDIT: Clarified a bit more.

This has to be the most biased comment i have seen in this thread. Brawl??? Balanced??? Wat??? You dare to call a game where there is a Character without a single bad matchup balanced??? Dont make me laugh.
There's definitely bad match-ups. Example: Zelda vs G&W. Horribly in G&W's favor. Same thing with ROB, IMO, but I haven't fought many ROBs, so that's possibly just me as well. I don't know about other characters, because I don't play them, but there is bad match-ups.
The ruleset in question (Unity 2.1) was generally ignored by the tournament scene and in fact led to the disbanding of the committee which maintains said ruleset.

That I have not known then, so I have made an error there, in which I apologize for. I have not been active in the scene for the past few months. However, the top 8 isn't very clear on overall statistics, just the top 8 people who won and what they used. I know at least in my local tournaments that I've attended, when there's been Melee, the character selection span is less than what it is in Brawl. Not saying the Apex Top 8 results are invalid, just not entirely conclusive.

Felipe_9595

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Then you would understand the game is far less balanced in Melee if you truly have. In Melee, you practically have to use characters that are mid-high (and mid is even pushing it at times) to actually compete. In Brawl, you can use BOTTOM tier, and still place well. Again, I use Zelda. According to how tier rankings are, I shouldn't be able to place well, yet I consistently have. I may struggle a bit more because of some disadvantages, but I still can take most people just fine who use, say, Snake, or Marth.

If you fight anyone in Melee with a bottom tier character, and they're using high tier, you're screwed. End of story. There's only a few people who have expertised with low tier and done well in tourneys, but that's also because no one knows how to fight said characters at times.

This has to be the most biased comment i have seen in this thread. Brawl??? Balanced??? Wat??? You dare to call a game where there is a Character without a single bad matchup balanced??? Dont make me laugh.
There's definitely bad match-ups. Example: Zelda vs G&W. Horribly in G&W's favor. Same thing with ROB, IMO, but I haven't fought many ROBs, so that's possibly just me as well. I don't know about other characters, because I don't play them, but there is bad match-ups.

That I have not known then, so I have made an error there, in which I apologize for. I have not been active in the scene for the past few months. However, the top 8 isn't very clear on overall statistics, just the top 8 people who won and what they used. I know at least in my local tournaments that I've attended, when there's been Melee, the character selection span is less than what it is in Brawl. Not saying the Apex Top 8 results are invalid, just not entirely conclusive.

You have absolutely no idea about whata re you talking about. I played both games competitively.and Melee balance is infinitely better than brawl. In brawl, top tiers has 0 bad matchups with lower tiers. In melee, characters like Fox gets wrecked by low tiers like Luigi, Ice Climbers by low tiers like G&W etc. In melee Low tier character CAN be used competitively because they have good matchups against High/Top tiers. In brawl, anything below peach is trash and cannot be used in tournaments, except for 1 or 2 exceptions.

Tsuteto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, I use Zelda, and I still do pretty good in tournaments with her in Brawl. We have a Yoshi player who does well. I know a friend who has a pretty mean Ike. They're all below Peach.

I have competed in both games myself, and I still stand by that the balance is greater in Brawl than Melee. If you want to continue going back and forth, I'm sure we certainly do so, but at this point, I think we can both agree that they only thing we're arguing is opinions.

Luigipenguin

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You have absolutely no idea about whata re you talking about. I played both games competitively.and Melee balance is infinitely better than brawl. In brawl, top tiers has 0 bad matchups with lower tiers. In melee, characters like Fox gets wrecked by low tiers like Luigi, Ice Climbers by low tiers like G&W etc. In melee Low tier character CAN be used competitively because they have good matchups against High/Top tiers. In brawl, anything below peach is trash and cannot be used in tournaments, except for 1 or 2 exceptions.
finally a melee fan! so hard to see them these days

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
However, the top 8 isn't very clear on overall statistics, just the top 8 people who won and what they used. I know at least in my local tournaments that I've attended, when there's been Melee, the character selection span is less than what it is in Brawl. Not saying the Apex Top 8 results are invalid, just not entirely conclusive.
Note that for both these tournaments I provided a link to the top 32/48/50 placements (directly below).

Genesis 2 Results

Brawl Top 8
gallery_90032_1213_2540.png

Melee Top 8
gallery_90032_1213_5595.png

Obviously the main problem with Brawl balance is Metaknight, as not only does he comprise 50% of the field, but when a character is dominating to such a degree the entire meta is warped around him. You either have to play him or a character with a neutral to "favorable" matchup. This is why you see such a high number of Diddys/Snakes/Olimars to exploit MK's lack of a projectile game.

Reactions: 2 people

Tsuteto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
However, the top 8 isn't very clear on overall statistics, just the top 8 people who won and what they used. I know at least in my local tournaments that I've attended, when there's been Melee, the character selection span is less than what it is in Brawl. Not saying the Apex Top 8 results are invalid, just not entirely conclusive.
Note that for both these tournaments I provided a link to the top 32/48/50 placements (directly below).

Genesis 2 Results

Brawl Top 8
gallery_90032_1213_2540.png

Melee Top 8
gallery_90032_1213_5595.png

Obviously the main problem with Brawl balance is Metaknight, as not only does he comprise 50% of the field, but when a character is dominating to such a degree the entire meta is warped around him. You either have to play him or a character with a neutral to "favorable" matchup. This is why you see such a high number of Diddys/Snakes/Olimars to exploit MK's lack of a projectile game.

Duly noted. I concede.

Luigipenguin

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No thats not true. The characters with high tiers can get their ass kicked by low tiers in brawl and in melee. Peach is not trash. its the user who uses the character. If your using the lowest tier character you still can kick their asses. It's just how you control them. And the best for that is melee. in my opinion.

Felipe_9595

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire

No thats not true. The characters with high tiers can get their ass kicked by low tiers in brawl and in melee. Peach is not trash. its the user who uses the character. If your using the lowest tier character you still can kick their asses. It's just how you control them. And the best for that is melee. in my opinion.

Tier List assumes that the 2 players that are play have the same ability, invalid argument.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I love both games, honestly. I love Melee for its speed, balance, and competitive gameplay. But I love Brawl for its overall features besides that. I especially like how the characters in Brawl feel more "accessible" for casual play without having to master them, which makes it really fun for parties when I want to try out someone new, and whatnot. Also...
2010-09-30-276-AQualityGame.png

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :ohnoes: @NoiseCommander3DS Would you please turn down that noise. I haven't had my COFFEE yet... +1