Hacking BootMii noob question

greasy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please forgive me I am new to hacking the Wii. I have a older wii (got it in 2006 or 2007), and I softmoded it useing the Softmoding the Wii for dummies 4.0 guide. I am at system menu 4.0U (or E can't rember and I am away from my Wii). I have the HBC, and gamma backuploader. I don't plan on useing any other apps, Wii ware, or anything. I just want to play backup disks. Should I install BootMii?

Also I have watch the youtube vidoes of the BootMii and there looks to be a pre-menu when you turn on the Wii. Can this be turned on and off? Reason behing I have small kids who play the Wii, and iI think it would be if they don't have to push extra buttons (possible damage the Wii) and wife who may not like haveing to it as well.

If I install it should I install it as an ISO or Boot2, what is the difference?

I have started playing with the Dolphine Emulator for the Wii and I need a NAND dump, can I use BootMii to get a copy my nand with out installing it? Or is there a different tool I use to copy the NAND and not install anything.

Thanks,

computerboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Yes you should install it and yes you can disable the menu and installing as Boot2 is the best protection for your Wii. IOS is meant for Wiis which can't install as Boot2

oxMUDxo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BootMii is very important..!!
If you ever run in to a problem and Brick your Wii BootMii or Pre-Loader is the only way to fix the Wii..
BootMii is the best Brick protection but you need a older Wii to install it.
If you have a newer Wii then Pre-Loader is best.

I uploaded BootMii for you.
http://ifile.it/m26wyfp

here's how to install it.

1. Unrar the file and put the HackMii folder in the Apps folder on your SD Card.SD:\Apps\HackMii

2. Use the HomeBrew Channel to lunch HackMii.

3. You need to wait 45 seconds at the "Don't pay for this screen" then push 1 on the WiiMote.

4. Next you'll see a screen that shows you what can be installed select continue.

5. Select BootMii to install to "Boot2" on the Wii, then let it install.

If it doesnt let you install it to Boot2 you can install it as a IOS but it dose little protection there, and you should Install Pre-Loader v29 instead.

Good Luck

greasy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will try and install it then. I have had the feeling I need to but since everything is working why fix it. I just don't want to brick my Wii due to money being tight and all.

I assume this is pretty safe and will probably not brick my Wii. I do have an older one (2-3 years).

Is the option to disable the BootMii menu in the options or do I need to so that somewhere else.

Again thanks for all the advice.

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The BootMii install is perfectly safe as long as you don't lose power during the install. Make sure you're secure when you run the installer. Once it's done, it's perfectly safe.

BootMii can be set to autoboot using the .ini file associated with it (e.g. you can tell it to boot to system menu after showing BootMii for 2 seconds, etc). To make it not appear at all, simply remove the card with the BootMii folder from your Wii, or move the BootMii files off of the card; the system menu will load as normal.

If you have a spare SD card (a 1GB would be ideal), you can make it a dedicated BootMii card and pop it in whenever you need to make a backup or do recovery.

greasy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool thanks for the help.

So to be clear you only get a boot menu when the SD card is in the slot. If so that is awesome. I can pickup a a cheap 1 gig card just for that.

Just to be clear
1. Install bootMii though HBC
2 reboot Wii
3. It loads the BootMii
4. BootMii formats the SD card and backsup the NAND file
5 Remove the SD card
6. I reboot the Wii and it boots like normal

If I ever need to restore or backup just insert that SD card and I get the bootmii Menu.

Thanks for all the help

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
greasy said:
Cool thanks for the help.

So to be clear you only get a boot menu when the SD card is in the slot. If so that is awesome. I can pickup a a cheap 1 gig card just for that.

Just to be clear
1. Install bootMii though HBC
2 reboot Wii
3. It loads the BootMii
4. BootMii formats the SD card and backsup the NAND file
5 Remove the SD card
6. I reboot the Wii and it boots like normal

If I ever need to restore or backup just insert that SD card and I get the bootmii Menu.

Thanks for all the help
I believe that the SD card preparation occurs during the Bootmii installer. One of the options is "Prepare SD card" or similar. All it needs is a "Bootmii" folder with the appropriate armboot.bin, bootmii.ini, and ppcboot.elf files. You can save a copy of this folder on your computer and make any other card into a Bootmii card if you lose yours.

When making a backup, it doesn't actually format the card, it just makes a nand.bin in the root of the SD card (which overwrites any older nand.bin's saved there). This nand.bin is typically 515-540MB and saves your system menu, IOSes, cIOSes, game saves, channels, and themes. Everything on your Wii's internal memory. When you restore, everything on the Wii rolls back to what it was when you backed up (including game saves, so be careful).

Take the Bootmii card out and your Wii boots as normal. Pop it in and you get BootMii menu when you turn the Wii on. Simple as that.

Gritten

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi Everyone,

I was just getting ready to make a very similar post. I've been lurking here for some time, reading / searching / learning.

I'm on system menu 4.0 cIOS rev 13b (I think..) no bootmii or preinstaller....and with everything I'm reading it seems to me like I really should have these on. The 4/4.1 installer guides are much different then what I remember doing when I first installed sys menu 4.0. So I'm wondering if I should follow the ultimate guide for 4.1 from here just to have everything installed, or is there a better way for me to install preloader / bootmii and update to sys menu 4.1. (I want to update because my 4 year old uses the wii frequently, and I don't want an accidently update from him the wrong way)

Gritten

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Gritten said:
I'm on system menu 4.0 cIOS rev 13b (I think..) no bootmii or preinstaller....and with everything I'm reading it seems to me like I really should have these on. The 4/4.1 installer guides are much different then what I remember doing when I first installed sys menu 4.0. So I'm wondering if I should follow the ultimate guide for 4.1 from here just to have everything installed, or is there a better way for me to install preloader / bootmii and update to sys menu 4.1. (I want to update because my 4 year old uses the wii frequently, and I don't want an accidently update from him the wrong way)
You should install Bootmii as Boot2 first (if possible). Then, follow the 4.1 upgrade guide as needed. Preloader is only necessary if you need to block disc updates, like the hacks/tweaks, or if you were only able to install BootMii IOS.
There's really no chance of your child "accidentally" updating your Wii, the system menu updates are manual and require WC24 to be turned on. There are also disc updates to consider, but if you install Preloader you can block those as well. Even if your Wii is somehow updated/bricked, you can use BootMii to roll back entirely.

Gritten

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Szalkow said:
Gritten said:
You should install Bootmii as Boot2 first (if possible). Then, follow the 4.1 upgrade guide as needed. Preloader is only necessary if you need to block disc updates, like the hacks/tweaks, or if you were only able to install BootMii IOS.
There's really no chance of your child "accidentally" updating your Wii, the system menu updates are manual and require WC24 to be turned on. There are also disc updates to consider, but if you install Preloader you can block those as well. Even if your Wii is somehow updated/bricked, you can use BootMii to roll back entirely.

Ok - I can use the instructions here to install bootmii. Which guide should I use to go from 4.0 to 4.1? I know there's a number of them floating around.

Swizler

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Gritten said:
Szalkow said:
Gritten said:

Ok - I can use the instructions here to install bootmii. Which guide should I use to go from 4.0 to 4.1? I know there's a number of them floating around.
wanikokos updater

pembo

Trophies
XP
Country
you can leave the sd card in and stop the bootmii screen from showing by setting the boot delay to 0 in the ini file from your PC, or using BootMii Config editor to edit it from the wii.

Gritten

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Szalkow said:

lol ok that's the guide I've been referencing. So do I basically just install bootmii, then skip right to step 11? And will I need to do the DOP-IOS step? (12)?

Or is it better to just grab the 4.1 wani wad installer and run that?

Thanks (Sorry for sounding newbish...this is what happens when I stop reading up on this stuff for a couple of months)

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much. If something goes wrong, you can try the other steps (patching IOSes, etc, I wouldn't downgrade again unless nothing else works). The DOP-IOS step is for patching IOS60 for Preloader, which is up to you.

greasy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Being a noob again.
the hackmii_beta2 extracts a file called installer.elf
do I need to rename this to boot.dol and copy it in to X:\apps\hackmii_beta2 folder on the SD Card. for the HBC to beable to see it?

Thanks,

oxMUDxo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes rename it Boot.elf and put it here.
SD:\apps\HackMii\boot

Why didn't you just use the link I gave you it's all ready to go..

Anyway what to do next is on the first page of your topic.
I posted everything you needed to know there.

Good Luck.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Szalkow said:
Pretty much. If something goes wrong, you can try the other steps (patching IOSes, etc, I wouldn't downgrade again unless nothing else works). The DOP-IOS step is for patching IOS60 for Preloader, which is up to you.

It's not for preloader, it doesn't patch in ES_Identify so if you did that after installing preloader it would cause a brick where youd have to reinstall preloader. The dop-IOS step is to patch the trucha bug back in IOS60 so that installed wad's will work from the sd card menu.

greasy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oxMUDxo said:
Yes rename it Boot.elf and put it here.
SD:\apps\HackMii\boot

Why didn't you just use the link I gave you it's all ready to go..

I was just being paranoid. No offence. I knew to go to bootmii.org to get the orginal and most recent version. I did save you directions and trying it tonight.

Thanks for the advice and work you have done.

oxMUDxo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is nothing wrong with being paranoid when it comes to this.

This always helps me feel better...A YouTube video showing everything you need to know!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9kWT2uOfMk...feature=related

He is using HackMii beta 1 you should use HackMii beta 2 everything is done the same, beta 2 has more compatibly with SD Cards and such.
Watch it till you feel good about it then install BootMii..
yay.gif

I think Ga1l0w made the Video Tutorial its nice
bow.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol