Hacking Bootmii IOS front buttons fix?

jackdanielchan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Does anyone know if there is a fix for the Bootmii IOS? I don't have a GC controller and I want to backup my system NAND beofre I softmod upgrade (again :\...)

Or if it's possible if anyone could make a fix?

WalkerOfTheDay

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nope it's a know bug. I think Team Twiizers will have fixed it in the next release.
Just buy a GC-controller.

Ps.
Do you have preloader installed ?

HiBit

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
jackdanielchan said:
Yeah I do have preloader installed, however I know sometimes it can fail to work...
Bootmii as IOS is not better than preloader.

Only if you can install it as boot2 it's a great brick protection, as IOS you better use preloader.

jabmaster2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I think if u have preloader though and bootmii as an ios u can use preloader to go to bootmii and restore ur NAND in some cases. Can be handy I guess. Still nothing better than bootmii as boot 2 though

HiBit

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
jabmaster2 said:
Yeah I think if u have preloader though and bootmii as an ios u can use preloader to go to bootmii and restore ur NAND in some cases.
Never restore a NAND with if bootmii is installed as IOS and you have a working preloader with hbc, wadmanager or something else.

If it's possible to start preloader on another type of brick, it's the best solution to reinstall the broken files/remove broken files.

That's so because it's very dangerous to restore a NAND if bootmii is installed as IOS. The risk is great to get a full brick.

But if you use the right way to fix some files with preloader and hbc and/or the "run dol function", the risc to get a full brick is very low
if you do it right.

Btw, if you only remove IOS60 on sysmenu 4.* bootmii and preloader couldn't help you.

tanis698

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
restoring a nand with bootmii as a ios is fine..have you done it yet?i have and it works fine.stop telling people not to do something that works perfectly fine.

HiBit

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
tanis698 said:
restoring a nand with bootmii as a ios is fine..
Wow, i think you should write it to Team Twiizers because they say it's not safe.

Plz, they are the developer of bootmii and if they say (also on IRC) it's dangerous you can be sure it's dangerous.

Also you can read it at the readme file from bootmii.
QUOTE* BootMii/IOS: This mode will install BootMii into your NAND filesystem as an IOS (IOS254).
It behaves identically to BootMii/boot2, but you must launch it from a special
program (the Installer, Homebrew Channel, or your own code.)

Pros: Universal compatibility with all Wiis. Allows booting arbitrary code
on ARM / PPC. Supports speedy backup of NAND to SD. Very safe to install.

Cons: Easily deletable or overwritten by a system update. NAND restore is
technically possible, but not safe because you cannot boot to BootMii/IOS
in case the contents of your NAND flash are corrupted.

Sorry, but i think they understand the risk better than you.

tanis698

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HiBit said:
tanis698 said:
restoring a nand with bootmii as a ios is fine..
Wow, i think you should write it to Team Twiizers because they say it's not safe.

Plz, they are the developer of bootmii and if they say (also on IRC) it's dangerous you can be sure it's dangerous.

Also you can read it at the readme file from bootmii.
QUOTE* BootMii/IOS: This mode will install BootMii into your NAND filesystem as an IOS (IOS254).
It behaves identically to BootMii/boot2, but you must launch it from a special
program (the Installer, Homebrew Channel, or your own code.)

Pros: Universal compatibility with all Wiis. Allows booting arbitrary code
on ARM / PPC. Supports speedy backup of NAND to SD. Very safe to install.

Cons: Easily deletable or overwritten by a system update. NAND restore is
technically possible, but not safe because you cannot boot to BootMii/IOS
in case the contents of your NAND flash are corrupted.

Sorry, but i think they understand the risk better than you.
have you tested bootmii as a ios yet??me and a few others have tried it a few times so i don't care what you say. untill you have tried it yourself then stop telling people bs k.i have tried it atleast 5 or 6 times on a lu65 wii and it worked perfect.yes you can get fucked if your power goes out but thats the same with any wii.they also said that it would not work at all before..here is a vid of another person doing it since its so not safe http://www.yafaze.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1339.

oops_ur_dead

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
yes you can get fucked if your power goes out but thats the same with any wii
No it isnt... on a BootMii/boot2 Wii if the power goes out during a NAND backup you're fine. Also, if your filesystem on the SD card is messed up or the file is corrupt in a crucial spot then you are screwed over. Not so with BootMii/boot2. Just because it hasnt happened doesnt mean it won't in the future.

HiBit

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
tanis698 said:
i have tried it atleast 5 or 6 times on a lu65 wii and it worked perfect.
I think you didn't understand what i mean.

Possible a restore from bootmii as IOS work for 20, 30 or 40 times, but what is if it didn't work on restore #41?
Yes, it's a full brick. There is nothing that you can do to fix the Wii, but if you use a installed preloader and simply remove a broken WAD the risk is lower.

And that's what i mean, nothing more.

Helsionium

Alpha and Omega
Trophies
Website
www.helsionium.eu
XP
Country
Austria
HiBit, you are actually the one who didn't understand.

The part from the BootMii readme you quoted doesn't mean that using BootMii/IOS for NAND restore is unsafe, not at all. It means that BootMii/IOS is inherently an unsafe brick protection method because you can't boot to BootMii/IOS on a fully bricked Wii in the first place.

Don't bash other users when you're talking about something you didn't understand.

HiBit

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
That's right, the part from the readme was not correct.

But the other things ...

Btw, i didn't bash any user, we talk about it.
wink.gif

tanis698

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i use preloader as well cuz without preloader and bootmii as a ios no way to restore with your backup nand.oops_ur_dead i am talking about when restoring your nand not backing it up.yes bootmii as a ios isn't as good as bootmii as boot2 but preloader and bootmii as a ios you can't get anything better on newer wii's at this time thats what i am trying to get across to people.everybody who has bootmii as boot2 keeps saying don't bother with bootmii as a ios when they shouldn't be saying that.i tried restoring my nand after installing cioscorp witch was kinda junk to install for me.worked fine restoring.that is 1 reason why to have bootmii even as a ios.

tanis698

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you act like this is english class god.someone with a name like yours shouldn't comment on anybodys grammer

Digital1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oops_ur_dead said:
QUOTE said:
oops_ur_dead i am talking about when restoring your nand not backing it up
And so was I.
Also, periods have spaces after them.

QUOTE(tanis698 @ Aug 5 2009, 02:36 PM)
you act like this is english class god.someone with a name like yours shouldn't comment on anybodys grammer

LOL!

Come on ladies and germs. Can't we all just get along???

oops_ur_dead

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tanis698 said:
English* Anybody's* Grammar*
Also, my name was invented from the old Starcraft days. oops_you're_dead was too long.

madtamski

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So wait...

What I've got from this thread is this:

1. If you can only install BootMii to run from an IOS....
2. You can still use it as a backup restore option for you wii as long as it's not bricked?

i.e. I have 3.2 and take a nand backup (not as Boot2) then installed 4.1 and take another NAND backup (once I re-hack of course), then I could then replace the new NAND backup (4.1) with the 3.2 ver on the SD card and get back 3.2 by restoring using this IOS installed version?

If yes, then that's still cool and the only risk you'll have is a power out during the restore?

Nice quick way to jump between wii firmware versions IMO

That sounds ok to me, let's face it guys, if when installing most other hacks out there the power does do out we'd be bricked anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative