bootmii 4.2 vs 4.1

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ng80092a, Nov 29, 2009.

Nov 29, 2009

bootmii 4.2 vs 4.1 by ng80092a at 3:30 PM (3,338 Views / 0 Likes) 32 replies

1. ng80092a
    OP

Newcomer ng80092a Advanced Member

Portugal
    I've been reading a few guides about wii firmware and homebrew, most of them say "DO NOT UPDATE TO 4.2 OR YOU WILL DIE FOREVER", i guess it is because everything homebrew would be overwritten and for future "homebrewers" bootmii couldn't be installed to boot2 anymore (dunno why)

Anyways a few of the guides here do tell you to update to 4.2 and say it will work

i wanna know what are the differences, because i wanna make sure my bootmii is able to fully backup NAND

by the way i don't know what firmware my wii has at the moment cause i don't have it here, last game i played was ssbb

is it safer to softmod a 4.1 wii, or a 4.2?

Thanks for reading

2. SnacksHacks

Newcomer SnacksHacks Advanced Member

United States
    @ng80092a: Well to see what firmware you have you have to go to Wii options, then Wii Settings (with the thumbnail of a wrench).

There has already been a new updated exploit that works flawlessly with 4.2 so you have no worries using it. Go to http://www.bootmii.org/download/ to download it. If you need help finding something, tell me and I will assist.

~Snacks [​IMG]

3. ng80092a
    OP

Portugal
    thanks snackshacks
    in that case where is bootmii stored? what are the diferences from 4.1 to 4.2 in a technical point of view?
    i just wanna know how it works, but thanks for telling me that 4.2 is ok to softmod, what a relief [​IMG]

4. bula

Member bula GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    4.2U was only intended to kill soft modifications. No difference at all so just stay at 4.1 but if you really want 4.2 there are ways to upgrade and still run HB. One more thing is region free is important for you do not upgrade to 4.2 as you loose it.

5. The Pink Gato

Member The Pink Gato GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Bootmii is stored as IOS254.

4.2 added boot2v4 to block Bootmii, and stubbed IOS222, 223, 249, and 250 to block cIOS from being installed.
    4.1 was released to fix the video intro of Wii Sports Resort.

If you need any help, just PM me and I will get you squared away.

You can always reinstall Bootmii after updating to 4.2.

~modmystuff~

6. overlord00

Member overlord00 A motherfucking birdplane

Australia
    while you are somewhat correct, you are INCORRECT in the most specific area.
    BOOTMII is KILLED with the official v4.2 update... killed i say.
    the official updater installs a new boot2 (boot2v4) and hence the hack for using bootmii is broken.. so you will be unable run bootmii at startup like what you are actually trying to do.
    you can "update" installing only the things you need (ie IOS70, and sysmenu) and will be fine as nothing else was updated (ie boot2).

--EDIT:
    please note that this is for backing up and restoring of NAND, the most basic part of bootmii... although bootmii is not broken, when installed as IOS254, it will provide NO protection over brickings making it effectively worthless..

7. longtom1

Member longtom1 Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen

Antarctica
    bootmii isn't killed it's just uninstalled with the boot2v4 install if you could install bootmii as boot2 then you can just reinstall

8. bula

Member bula GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You can still update all IOSs and SM to 4.2 without installing the new boot....one option is SafeUpdate_4.2U. BTW longtom1 is correct.

9. overlord00

Australia
    yeah, i realise. hence why i said only updating 70 and sysmenu (with no mentioning of updating boot2... that would be VERY bad)

btw, you CAN NOT reinstall bootmii as boot2 with the boot2v4 update!

10. The Pink Gato

United States
    Yes..I knew that.

I am not incorrect, I am just missing some details.

I will edit my post if it will make you happy.

~modmystuff~

11. ng80092a
    OP

Portugal
    while on 4.2 will i still be able to fully backup NAND IOS my current wii software, and able to restore it later for life?

12. overlord00

Australia
    not saying you are wrong, just telling noobs this info.
    although i only have a few post, i know a fair few things about modding wiis and whatnot...
    also, it may be long off (or never) untill bootmii can be installed on boot2v4 wiis... so your bit about "reinstalling" is somewhat misleading... not trolling or anything.

13. overlord00

Australia
    not too sure personally, but what would restoring a already fully working (unbricked) console achieve? unless it was only partially bricked...
    i dont see why this wouldnt work... there would be no reason for bootmii as IOS if this wasnt possible

Posts merged

WAIT

if you can avoid updating to officiak 4.2, and hence the newer bootmii, what would be the differance?
    are you already beyond the point of no return?

14. ng80092a
    OP

Portugal
    the thing im afraid is about future firmware updates, and no, if you were nintendo, would you allow your product to be softmoded, and with easy tutorials on how to do it in every corner of the www? i don't think so, they will do something, maybe when smg2 comes out
    that's why i wanna be able to restore everything, cause i feel safer that way
    can i backup it all with bootmii as ios on 4.2?

15. The Pink Gato

United States
    Yes, but I have known some people having problems backing up and/or restoring with a backup.

~modmystuff~

16. overlord00

Australia
    speaking of which just quickly interjecting that if you make a NAND backup with boot2 then try to restore as IOS254, you will NOT get boot2 functionality back.

17. overlord00

Australia
    would those be people who were using the bugged 1.0.4 version of bootmii that had an incorrect line in the backup data? as there was a problem with this (that was fixed), where the user of the NAND could not successfully restore the backup as it didnt belong to them (although hex editing sorted that out).
    could be totally unrelated, but thought i add that too, just in case

18. ng80092a
    OP

Portugal
    what problems do they have?

19. overlord00

Australia
    in terms of what?

20. ng80092a
    OP

Portugal
    But since i'm on 4.2, i can't make a backup with boot2, can only make it with ios254 right?