Hacking bootmii 4.2 vs 4.1

ng80092a

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been reading a few guides about wii firmware and homebrew, most of them say "DO NOT UPDATE TO 4.2 OR YOU WILL DIE FOREVER", i guess it is because everything homebrew would be overwritten and for future "homebrewers" bootmii couldn't be installed to boot2 anymore (dunno why)

Anyways a few of the guides here do tell you to update to 4.2 and say it will work

i wanna know what are the differences, because i wanna make sure my bootmii is able to fully backup NAND

by the way i don't know what firmware my wii has at the moment cause i don't have it here, last game i played was ssbb

is it safer to softmod a 4.1 wii, or a 4.2?

Thanks for reading

SnacksHacks

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
wiihbcentral.ucoz.com
XP
Country
United States
@ng80092a: Well to see what firmware you have you have to go to Wii options, then Wii Settings (with the thumbnail of a wrench).

There has already been a new updated exploit that works flawlessly with 4.2 so you have no worries using it. Go to http://www.bootmii.org/download/ to download it. If you need help finding something, tell me and I will assist.

~Snacks
yay.gif

ng80092a

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks snackshacks
in that case where is bootmii stored? what are the diferences from 4.1 to 4.2 in a technical point of view?
i just wanna know how it works, but thanks for telling me that 4.2 is ok to softmod, what a relief
smile.gif

bula

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ng80092a said:
thanks snackshacks
in that case where is bootmii stored? what are the diferences from 4.1 to 4.2 in a technical point of view?
i just wanna know how it works, but thanks for telling me that 4.2 is ok to softmod, what a relief
smile.gif

4.2U was only intended to kill soft modifications. No difference at all so just stay at 4.1 but if you really want 4.2 there are ways to upgrade and still run HB. One more thing is region free is important for you do not upgrade to 4.2 as you loose it.

The Pink Gato

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ng80092a said:
thanks snackshacks
smile.gif

Bootmii is stored as IOS254.

4.2 added boot2v4 to block Bootmii, and stubbed IOS222, 223, 249, and 250 to block cIOS from being installed.
4.1 was released to fix the video intro of Wii Sports Resort.

If you need any help, just PM me and I will get you squared away.

You can always reinstall Bootmii after updating to 4.2.

~modmystuff~

overlord00

A motherfucking birdplane
Trophies
XP
Country
while you are somewhat correct, you are INCORRECT in the most specific area.
BOOTMII is KILLED with the official v4.2 update... killed i say.
the official updater installs a new boot2 (boot2v4) and hence the hack for using bootmii is broken.. so you will be unable run bootmii at startup like what you are actually trying to do.
you can "update" installing only the things you need (ie IOS70, and sysmenu) and will be fine as nothing else was updated (ie boot2).

--EDIT:
please note that this is for backing up and restoring of NAND, the most basic part of bootmii... although bootmii is not broken, when installed as IOS254, it will provide NO protection over brickings making it effectively worthless..

longtom1

Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
overlord00 said:
the official updater installs a new boot2 (boot2v4) and hence the hack for using bootmii is broken.. so you will be unable run bootmii at startup like what you are actually trying to do.
you can "update" installing only the things you need (ie IOS70, and sysmenu) and will be fine as nothing else was updated (ie boot2).
bootmii isn't killed it's just uninstalled with the boot2v4 install if you could install bootmii as boot2 then you can just reinstall

bula

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
overlord00 said:

You can still update all IOSs and SM to 4.2 without installing the new boot....one option is SafeUpdate_4.2U. BTW longtom1 is correct.

overlord00

Trophies
XP
Country
yeah, i realise. hence why i said only updating 70 and sysmenu (with no mentioning of updating boot2... that would be VERY bad)

btw, you CAN NOT reinstall bootmii as boot2 with the boot2v4 update!

The Pink Gato

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
overlord00 said:

--EDIT:
please note that this is for backing up and restoring of NAND, the most basic part of bootmii... although bootmii is not broken, when installed as IOS254, it will provide NO protection over brickings making it effectively worthless..

Yes..I knew that.

I am not incorrect, I am just missing some details.

I will edit my post if it will make you happy.

~modmystuff~

ng80092a

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
while on 4.2 will i still be able to fully backup NAND IOS my current wii software, and able to restore it later for life?

overlord00

Trophies
XP
Country
not saying you are wrong, just telling noobs this info.
although i only have a few post, i know a fair few things about modding wiis and whatnot...
also, it may be long off (or never) untill bootmii can be installed on boot2v4 wiis... so your bit about "reinstalling" is somewhat misleading... not trolling or anything.

overlord00

Trophies
XP
Country
not too sure personally, but what would restoring a already fully working (unbricked) console achieve? unless it was only partially bricked...
i dont see why this wouldnt work... there would be no reason for bootmii as IOS if this wasnt possible

Posts merged

WAIT

if you can avoid updating to officiak 4.2, and hence the newer bootmii, what would be the differance?
are you already beyond the point of no return?

ng80092a

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
the thing im afraid is about future firmware updates, and no, if you were nintendo, would you allow your product to be softmoded, and with easy tutorials on how to do it in every corner of the www? i don't think so, they will do something, maybe when smg2 comes out
that's why i wanna be able to restore everything, cause i feel safer that way
can i backup it all with bootmii as ios on 4.2?

The Pink Gato

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ng80092a said:
the thing im afraid is about future firmware updates, and no, if you were nintendo, would you allow your product to be softmoded, and with easy tutorials on how to do it in every corner of the www? i don't think so, they will do something, maybe when smg2 comes out
that's why i wanna be able to restore everything, cause i feel safer that way
can i backup it all with bootmii as ios on 4.2?

Yes, but I have known some people having problems backing up and/or restoring with a backup.

~modmystuff~

overlord00

Trophies
XP
Country
speaking of which just quickly interjecting that if you make a NAND backup with boot2 then try to restore as IOS254, you will NOT get boot2 functionality back.

overlord00

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Yes, but I have known some people having problems backing up and/or restoring with a backup.
would those be people who were using the bugged 1.0.4 version of bootmii that had an incorrect line in the backup data? as there was a problem with this (that was fixed), where the user of the NAND could not successfully restore the backup as it didnt belong to them (although hex editing sorted that out).
could be totally unrelated, but thought i add that too, just in case

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse