1. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    I never thought about it like that before but now that you mention it, I wholeheartedly agree. Several heroes not only have had rehashed comics but movies as well that span multiple generations.

Maybe its because the gaming audience is, for lack of a better word, immature. What I mean is gaming as an industry is relatively new especially compared to other entertainment media. Gaming as a whole was initially not even seen as an industry but a fad that only less than desirable people would partake in. Now its something that people can build entire careers off of in multiple aspects.

TheGodMauro and tomasowa like this.
  2. graeme122

graeme122 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    LMAO at the PS5 sales in japan

Code:
    +-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
    |System |  This Week |  Last Week |  Last Year |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
    +-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
    | NSW # |    278.000 |    263.304 |    234.268 |  5.957.000 |  4.493.885 |  17.340.000 |
    | PS5 # |     13.000 |     17.578 |            |    255.000 |            |     255.000 |
    | PS4 # |     12.600 |     10.343 |     81.349 |    543.000 |  1.196.153 |   9.291.000 |

3. jt_1258

jt_1258 Ella

United States
    link, zelda, fuck, now, while sliting there wrists to (insert emo music group here cause I don't fucking now any) /s

4. Obveron

Obveron GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I find it unlikely that Japanese executives, typically deeply respectful even to their business enemies, would literally laugh them out of the room. I'm more inclined to believe this story is being exaggerated.

neotank19 and DinohScene like this.
  5. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Russia
    That's kinda the thing - if you already have and enjoy your gaming PC, you're not in Microsoft's target audience to begin with. Xbox is for people who want a budget-friendly next-gen gateway without shelling out for expensive rig, especially since commodification of smartphones/tablets makes it increasingly redundant to buy overpowered computers for anything other than gaming.

Gonna admit, it may seem as "stale and non-exciting" from position of 1990s-2010s gaming history, where every new console felt like an industry-changing product with a lot of exciting gimmicks. Still, it's a viable niche nonetheless (as Xbox' solid sales prove), and it could speak less of "consoles becoming worse" and more of average player's needs changing over time - I mean, in a generation where it's much harder to impress people with raw specs and technical bells'n'whistles, just being an affordable no-nonsense platform that runs popular games really well may be a selling point in itself.

Last edited by Pipistrele, Jan 7, 2021
    Goku1992A likes this.
  6. neotank19

neotank19 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    For a country that is usually very well known for respect, especially in the business setting. If they literally laughed at the proposal that's pretty darn rude.

Obveron likes this.
  7. iQue

iQue GBAtemp Regular

Nintendo are in a different market now ...they do what they do best, and have done since the Game Boy ...Nintendo are not in competition with Sony or Microsoft as they produce home consoles ...Nintendo has not since the Wii U and has not produce a powerful home console since the GameCube.

8. xdarkx

xdarkx GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    If a company is as big as Nintendo that is holding a lot of valuable gaming IPs, it shouldn't surprise anyone that they don't want to be acquired by anyone.

9. tomasowa

tomasowa GBAtemp Regular

United States
    That is true, and in the context of the Questionnaire, the question was posed to everyone, as a potential buyer of the Xbox.

That said, the Microsoft approach isn't only applicable to existing PC users like myself, because they are encroaching on their own products, with All-In-One Desktop PCs and economically-priced Desktops sans the Monitor | TV, which is where the relevance of my Comment is at.

As the technology becomes cheaper and the PC-Console hardware specifications divide draw closer, new Consumers will ultimately have to choose between one of two supposedly-distinct Microsoft products; not something that makes much business sense.

This is why Industry differentiators should be well-established, unless, of course, a merge to PC is what Microsoft has in store all along.

Pipistrele likes this.
  10. Bryon15

Bryon15 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Oh God. I'm so glad this didn't happen. Look at what microsoft did to Rare. No thanks. The only company that I trust to buy nintendo is disney. Because they'll let nintendo continue to do their own thing pretty much.

RichardTheKing likes this.
  11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Have we seen any companies be bought out by the big guys and survive more than about 10 years doing good work? It seems rare that they even get chained to a desk to crank out endless sequels.

Have we been watching the same Disney this last few years? They have driven loads of companies, franchises and whatnot into the ground.

Henx, DarthDub and RichardTheKing like this.
  12. RichardTheKing

RichardTheKing Wolf Blass Shiraz Drinker

Australia
    Honestly, I'm glad Nintendo remained separate - Sony and Mike can go compete with pretty much the same libraries, give or take a few exclusives, while Nintendo's the third option with the unique first-party games and (prior to the Switch) awesome handhelds and reliable backwards-compatibility.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Exactly - Star Wars, Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, that Mulan thing I never cared for, giving EA exclusive Star Wars license...

Fuck Disney. Anyone got a mouse trap?

Henx likes this.
  13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    I don't see Nintendo being the third option as a positive. In an ideal world then DVD model -- 50 companies making a console with various extras and you just buy games for that standard. However if we must be in one with consoles as a thing then having one third of the market not able to the general state of games of the day is not good; as you say MS and Sony are basically one and the same (Assuming you are not a Japanese shmups/shooters fan, which for reasons unknown MS won handily during PS360 era, oh no you have a choice between Forza and Gran Turismo for your simulation ish driving game with the shiny graphics, and might have to wait for a sequel to appear on both) but you will get a decent reference frame for gaming at the time with them if you explore the library. Try doing that since the SNES, give or take maybe a slight flirting with it during the GC, and you are missing out on loads, and from where I sit not really gaining all that much.

Equally I would say the DS was the last good Nintendo handheld. The 3ds lacked all that made the DS and GBA (and arguably GB/GBC but that is a slightly different thing from where I sit) -- all the third parties that gave the GBA and DS their libraries vanished or paid lip service.

14. xdarkx

xdarkx GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    F no. Disney can stay away from any gaming companies. Just look at what they did to LucasArts. They acquired it from the parent company Lucasfilm in 2012. Not long after, they halted all internal development at LucasArts and laid off most of its staff. They also got Marvel Games which they acquired from Marvel Entertainment, and they stopped any game development/publishing in that studio.

Henx and RichardTheKing like this.
  15. zupi

zupi Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Huh
    This is super old news

On Nintendo's side they said they refuse it because they realized Microsoft was completely clueless about video games and had no idea what they were doing, and to this day I agree with them

I still can't believe how dumb they were in passing on making the first Xbox a Dreamcast 2, and all because they didn't want to support the online content.
    If it wasn't for Halo, it would have tanked hard

Never forget when this negotiation went the way it did, they got salty and bought rare thinking they would own donkey Kong

When they realized how dumb they were, they had no idea what to do with rare and just left it to rot

Last edited by zupi, Jan 7, 2021
  16. Benja81

Benja81 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    If MS really went in there with "ya you're good with the Mario stuff but..." As if Nintendo doesn't know how to put together a powerful system like "Playstation X" cause they chose to capture a different market. Sounds like laughing was really the polite response here.

17. ChicoPancho

ChicoPancho enjoys tech too much

United States
    You can literally play every DS game on the 3DS.

@Draxzelex
    They used Carts on the N64 to prevent...piracy. As a result they lost a majority of third party support because they held so much less space. You can always count on them to shoot themselves in the foot when it comes to what format they store their games on. We see it now with the switch and how expensive the gamecards are to produce.

Last edited by ChicoPancho, Jan 7, 2021
    Draxzelex and RichardTheKing like this.
  18. toxic9

toxic9 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

How many people believe Nintendo can't build a powerful system by it's own?
    They just don't need it. It's not their purpose.
    You don't need a Ferrari if you don't have the intention to go further than 100km/h.

19. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    You can on the DSi as well, still does not mean the DSi was any good. Not to mention if you had played the DS library while it happened then time to replay or twiddle your thumbs if you found yourself with a 3ds. If you found yourself going in cold to the 3ds you might get some ever so slightly more polished versions of DS games (though polished usually comes at the cost of being able to mess around and make your own fun as you find yourself on tracks or they were wringing the last drops out of a franchise) but I would maintain someone that played the DS library is not missing out on much of anything by skipping the 3ds.

20. banjo2

banjo2 gamer

United States
    [​IMG]
    Oh?

DinohScene likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Bloomberg, interview, Microsoft