Bloomberg interview reveals Microsoft tried to buy Nintendo once, and got laughed out of the meeting

xbox-switch-1024x576.jpg

These days, Microsoft is buying up smaller gaming studios at a rapid pace, adding names like Obsidian, Bethesda, Mojang, Double Fine, and many more to the Xbox brand. As the original Xbox system turns 20 years old this year, Bloomberg published an article featuring interviews and information about the early days of the system. revealing that Microsoft attempted to buy four major game studios back in the early 2000s, all of which ended in failure. The first company they went after was Electronic Arts, who quickly dismissed them. They also attempted to acquire Midway Games and Square Enix, but according to Bob Mcbreen, who worked at Xbox in business development at the time, they didn't offer enough money.

The biggest acquisition they tried to make, though, was Nintendo. Kevin Bachus, the former director of third-party relations, mentions he went to Nintendo in order to talk about a buyout. Microsoft's position was that they could create more powerful hardware than Nintendo could which would make them more competitive with Sony's PlayStation 2, while Nintendo knew how to make games incredibly well. However, Nintendo did not agree, so much to the point that Bachus says he was laughed at by the entirety of the company, ending any further discussions.

BACHUS Steve made us go meet with Nintendo to see if they would consider being acquired. They just laughed their asses off. Like, imagine an hour of somebody just laughing at you. That was kind of how that meeting went.

MCBREEN We actually had Nintendo in our building in January 2000 to work through the details of a joint venture where we gave them all the technical specs of the Xbox. The pitch was their hardware stunk, and compared to Sony PlayStation, it did. So the idea was, “Listen, you’re much better at the game portions of it with Mario and all that stuff. Why don’t you let us take care of the hardware?” But it didn’t work out.

:arrow: Source

D

Deleted User

I am only talking for me though, just to gibe you one possible explanation why someone would buy a console over a gaming PC

Very understandable and it's always nice to relax after a long day with some Gaming.

What I'm saying is more along the lines that Microsoft owns both the Xbox and Windows Game Library store-fronts, which continue to become more interchangeable in their access, and they're also branching out to make their PCs function as that relaxing Home Entertainment system people will get back home to, so their two Divisions will have to come to an intersection soon enough.

Kadji

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Very understandable and it's always nice to relax after a long day with some Gaming.

What I'm saying is more along the lines that Microsoft owns both the Xbox and Windows Game Library store-fronts, which continue to become more interchangeable in their access, and they're also branching out to make their PCs function as that relaxing Home Entertainment system people will get back home to, so their two Divisions will have to come to an intersection soon enough.

To be honest I was kinda hoping that Microsoft would allow running windows 10 (like other os back on ps3 for linux) which would habe been realy nice - and yeah, at that point the difference between PC and console would diminish. Maybe the next Xbox will implement something like that? Who knows. But I see what you mean and yeah, right now the reasons to own an xbox *if you have a beefy pc* are slim to none.

Last edited by Kadji, , Reason: Grammar

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kinda unprofessional. But it's nintendo.
But the pitch was also kinda unprofressional so it seems completely, if not even more, warranted.

Anyways, my opinion is that if this was the other way around, Sony would have probably never succeeded past the PS2. But I doubt Nintendo could afford to do that even if they are the richest company in Japan.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Which would be better? The Microsoft GameCube or the Nintendo PlayStation?
Definitely the Nintendo Playstation. OG Xbox didn't have much going for it other than Halo, whereas PSX/PS2 was a golden era for Sony, and Gamecube is my second favorite Nintendo console behind SNES.

Reactions: Deleted User

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Definitely the Nintendo Playstation. OG Xbox didn't have much going for it other than Halo, whereas PSX/PS2 was a golden era for Sony, and Gamecube is my second favorite Nintendo console behind SNES.
The hard drive for cache, full size DVD and fair amount of grunt more than other things coupled with being basically a PC for most development purposes allowed a few things not seen outside the PC otherwise, and often superior versions to anything seen on the other consoles.

D

Deleted User

But microsoft can't buy nintendo for any price anyway. I heard some time ago that non japanese company can't buy japanese company according to the japanese law. Sony can buy them and I even asked once a question in this forum about why sony won't buy nintendo since they have money for it and I got odd answer that Sony is angry at nintendo because what happened during the snes area and they don't want to do any business with them because of it.

Reactions: Deleted User

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The hard drive for cache, full size DVD and fair amount of grunt more than other things coupled with being basically a PC for most development purposes allowed a few things not seen outside the PC otherwise, and often superior versions to anything seen on the other consoles.
Eh, Gamecube had plenty of 'oomph' for its time, and hardware has never really been a primary driver of sales in console land anyway. It's all about the library of games, and for me at least, N64/Gamecube + PSX/PS2 is about as good as it gets where retro gaming is concerned. Microsoft's gaming division has only really started to get things rolling in the last three or four years IMO.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Eh, Gamecube had plenty of 'oomph' for its time, and hardware has never really been a primary driver of sales in console land anyway. It's all about the library of games, and for me at least, N64/Gamecube + PSX/PS2 is about as good as it gets where retro gaming is concerned. Microsoft's gaming division has only really started to get things rolling in the last three or four years IMO.
More power does not necessarily mean more library/sales but it is possible to fluff the hardware such that nobody cares to make games, in this case see Nintendo since the SNES with the GC being about as close as they got, or the PS3 when it was a pain in the arse to code for, or the Saturn doing the same thing...

SexiestManAlive

The key that lights the dark
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xbox flopped in Japan so I can only imagine what sorta wacky decisions microsoft would have foisted on them

Imagine a gamecube with the Duke controller

This coupled with the nintendo playstation means in an alternate reality maybe we could have gotten a frankenstein company formed from all 3 giants
micronydo

AlterL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Maybe they should or Sony should buy Nintendo because Nintendo don't know how to handle a powerful system against Microsoft and Sony. Or maybe Nintendo don't care because they are mean to be for family video game system. Either way, Nintendo should give up.
I pray that Nintendo never listens to guys like you, fuck no.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I just blame @Psionic Roshambo +2