Hacking Blocking 9.3.0-21 with your Wi-Fi router

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
But doesn't the 3ds download the update itself only in sleep mode?Just don't put it in sleep mode to be safe or i'm missing something?
yes , thats why you need to block the Nintendo ip address from your router

maybe its possible in hacked 3DS ( right now i don't think there is homebrew for that ) , but its not possible in non hacked 3DS

Reactions: Margen67

Rabban

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He's referring to dynamic IP's (DHCP). This is often used for residential customers with an ISP so whenever the IP changes after a set amount of time you'll need to tell OpenDNS your new public IP. This can be done manually, or by some compatible routers.. This is what I wanted to avoid doing, so that's why I did the rule blocking method in the OP.

opendns has a utility which runs in the tray which updates your IP address with opendns automatically

Reactions: cvskid and Sirius64

anth4m

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I would say... OpenDNS blocking 9.4.0 JPN failed. I configured yesterday and confirmed domains of Nintendo Software Update above blocked, while after 3 hours of Pokemon today, Nintendo pushed me 9.4.0 update, although I refused:(

The Japanese version of update servers should be different or something?

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I believe the Japanese consoles use different urls as the domains for Japan websites are not the same as the North American ones. (usually .jp instead of .com)

You should have tried to use the eShop to verify that it works. Even if it wasn't blocked, Doing so shouldn't trigger update notifications as long as you didn't leave it connected long enough for it to download the update. Only once it had the update downloaded would you see notifications for it.

Had it been setup properly you would not have been able to use eShop at all and would just see a connection error.

bobtheglob101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I believe the Japanese consoles use different urls as the domains for Japan websites are not the same as the North American ones. (usually .jp instead of .com)

You should have tried to use the eShop to verify that it works. Even if it wasn't blocked, Doing so shouldn't trigger update notifications as long as you didn't leave it connected long enough for it to download the update. Only once it had the update downloaded would you see notifications for it.

Had it been setup properly you would not have been able to use eShop at all and would just see a connection error.

Umm.. I have been using the same URL's to block the updates on my JAP N3DS and I haven't received a single update notification on it (read the OP). :/

anth4m

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm.. I have been using the same URL's to block the updates on my JAP N3DS and I haven't received a single update notification on it (read the OP). :/

So is it the problem of openDNS or my console? I have my JPN old 3DS LL running 9.2.0, and the openDNS settings was configured like the screenshots in this thread...

bobtheglob101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is it the problem of openDNS or my console? I have my JPN old 3DS LL running 9.2.0, and the openDNS settings was configured like the screenshots in this thread...

Assuming your ISP hands out dynamic IP's, do you have the OpenDNS setup so that it updates your IP? This can be done through the router/computer so whenever your IP changes, OpenDNS will know and update accordingly.

bobtheglob101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do you need to block the servers? It doesn't install automatically like Wii U, it requires confirmation.

Yeah but the confirmation is super naggy and annoying or if someone else accidentally updates your console then you're screwed. Better safe than sorry.

anth4m

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assuming your ISP hands out dynamic IP's, do you have the OpenDNS setup so that it updates your IP? This can be done through the router/computer so whenever your IP changes, OpenDNS will know and update accordingly.

Yup I set up dynamic IP, and 5 domains of Nintendo Update show blocked by openDNS in browsers.

Reactions: Margen67

Kirit0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i disabled my wifi, will i miss something if i don't have wifi enabled?? ever since i got my 3ds the only time i actually use the internet is to access the eshop. which wont be nomore once the gateway update is out.

bobtheglob101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i disabled my wifi, will i miss something if i don't have wifi enabled?? ever since i got my 3ds the only time i actually use the internet is to access the eshop. which wont be nomore once the gateway update is out.

You won't have the ability to play online, use nintendo video, use YouTube/internet browser if you don't have the wifi enabled. If you can live without those then you're all good

bobtheglob101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup I set up dynamic IP, and 5 domains of Nintendo Update show blocked by openDNS in browsers.

Well I really only have looked into the Rule blocking method that my router does and haven't done an in-depth look into the OpenDNS method. You might want to get an answer from someone else who did this method. Sorry bud :(

Kirit0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You won't have the ability to play online, use nintendo video, use YouTube/internet browser if you don't have the wifi enabled. If you can live without those then you're all good
Idc about youtube and all but i can't think of any games i have played online so far :/. I never use nintendo video either. But i do plan on using the browser when the New 3ds comes out since you could watch 3D movies. I wonder if gateway would work on it.

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Idc about youtube and all but i can't think of any games i have played online so far :/. I never use nintendo video either. But i do plan on using the browser when the New 3ds comes out since you could watch 3D movies. I wonder if gateway would work on it.
playing Pokemon online and trading ?
super smash 3D ?
Mario kart 7 ?

kheldar

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello guys, I have a stupid router which only allows me to do filter with "keywords". For example I add nintendo to keyword list and it blocks every url with nintendo domain. For example I set this now and I can't access neither nintendo.fr or co.uk which doesn't bother me but I wonder if it will work on my N3DS. Is there a way to test its functionality on my computer? Ah also I can succesfuly ping nintendo servers but I can't connect them using my browser.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo