Homebrew blargSnes -- SNES emulator for the 3DS (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying Gaussian interpolation with the audio. Got some progress, but unfortunately, it's causing various distortions. The intro music to F-Zero sounds ok until certain notes are played, to which it screws up during their playback. Megaman X doesn't seem to have a problem.

AkiraCast

Former professional QA tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant to report on this weeks ago (or I probably did but didn't post the shots) but anyways, Super Metroid does this strange thing in this spot of Maridia. Specifically to the left of the highlighted spot on the map. Upon entering that section the screen goes blank or with what appears to be ground texture or something. The music keeps playing but I can't do anything. Also Ninjhax user here (not sure if that matters) and this is with blargSnes 1.2.

Attachments

• blargSnes00441197.bmp
    562.6 KB · Views: 206
  • blargSnes00464050.bmp
    562.6 KB · Views: 208
  • blargSnes00635054.bmp
    562.6 KB · Views: 222

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I meant to report on this weeks ago (or I probably did but didn't post the shots) but anyways, Super Metroid does this strange thing in this spot of Maridia. Specifically to the left of the highlighted spot on the map. Upon entering that section the screen goes blank or with what appears to be ground texture or something. The music keeps playing but I can't do anything. Also Ninjhax user here (not sure if that matters) and this is with blargSnes 1.2.

That "ground texture" is water. Does it freeze there, or can you do anything, like shoot? It may be a windowing issue, which for the most part seems to be working correctly in latter unofficial builds. If you upload your save that's as close to that part as possible, we can check.

AkiraCast

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That "ground texture" is water. Does it freeze there, or can you do anything, like shoot? It may be a windowing issue, which for the most part seems to be working correctly in latter unofficial builds. If you upload your save that's as close to that part as possible, we can check.

Oh okay, looks like blue ground to me haha, it seems like it freezes but I can't really tell cause the music still plays fine. I can upload my save, what's the extension? Is it the .srm that's in the rom folder?

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Oh okay, looks like blue ground to me haha, it seems like it freezes but I can't really tell cause the music still plays fine. I can upload my save, what's the extension? Is it the .srm that's in the rom folder?

Yes, it has the .srm extension. If you can hear sound effects when you make various actions, like shooting, charging, or rolling into a ball and using bombs, then it's likely not frozen.

AkiraCast

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it has the .srm extension. If you can hear sound effects when you make various actions, like shooting, charging, or rolling into a ball and using bombs, then it's likely not frozen.

Ah alrighty, here you go. I tried shooting and laying bombs but no sound from those actions.

Attachments

• Super Metroid save.rar
    3.6 KB · Views: 106

Psi-hate

GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question: Would it be possible to make the emulator be able to read the rom from a zip file so you don't have to extract it?

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Would have been nice to have a save spot closer to where the problem occurs, but anyways.

An interesting bug nonetheless. Was thinking it was windowing problem, but it certainly isn't that. The area was running fine until I got close to some of those flying enemies, and then I got the same problem you demonstrated. The area went black with just the water showing up, and everything froze. Might be an infinite loop on the CPU-side, as the music on the audio-side is still running.

AkiraCast

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would have been nice to have a save spot closer to where the problem occurs, but anyways.

An interesting bug nonetheless. Was thinking it was windowing problem, but it certainly isn't that. The area was running fine until I got close to some of those flying enemies, and then I got the same problem you demonstrated. The area went black with just the water showing up, and everything froze. Might be an infinite loop on the CPU-side, as the music on the audio-side is still running.

Oh yeah my bad on that. And interesting, hmm.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Wow that is cool from you Discostew :)

I just want to contribute (and relieve StapleButter of having to do some of this stuff), yet I really don't know much about audio, lol. I'm just reading documentations like FullSNES, and trying to see if what it details is something I can do myself. I only wish I knew enough to figure out why the audio makes clicking sounds during playback.

dronesplitter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I heard that v1.1 cause some problems with various progs, so I didn't update to it. If v1.1b fixes that, then I may update.

I too haven't updated yet. Is it best to stay on the first release of ninjhax for blargSNES? blarg is the one emulator I care about right now so I don't want to update and hurt compatibility with it :)

Myria

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a newer build than 1.2 that I can download? Compiling from source is a huge pain, especially if it involves a disaster like git...

Psi-hate

GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you access the settings, running blarg 1.2 with Ninjhax 1.1/b ? Because every time I try, it crashes CN.

Also, go and download this and extract it into the 3ds folder on the SD card. You can download Blargsnes 1.2 on it for extra security.

Attachments

• 3ds-homebrew-browser-master.rar
    1.2 MB · Views: 146

Kazanye

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Everything works for me using 1.2 on Ninjhax 1.1b

Try re-installing blargsnes ;)

Thanks. I simply reinstalled blarg and it works fine now :)

Also, today I've tried the latest build of CitrAGB, which now utilizes dynrec. The improvement for GBA emulation is simply amazing. I can't wait to see how much dynrec would improve blarg...

Reactions: AkiraCast
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu