Hacking Black screen, no AV, help? Also some general help would be nice as well if we get this working...

DrinkingFood

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't know if this is the right place for this but I would ask that it be moved if not. Anyways- my wii is softmodded, I have HBC, apps for things like CFG, a few wads installed for DIOS MIOS, and bootmii (I think? I'll elaborate on this in a sec). I've been looking around for how to fix this but for most people the issue was just over heating, and I THOUGHT that was my issue this time... except it hasn't done anything for nearly 5 hours, despite several attempts to get it to show something. When I turn it on, the light turns green, and the disk drive runs (because of DM) but nothing happens after that. Now, my wii has had some problems previously (at least, I'm ASSUMING they were problems and not how it functions for most people) including LOTS of freezing with DIOS MIOS, whether starting up or mid game, and occasional freezes playing wii games via CFG. In general though the wii hasn't been that uncooperative unless I try to load via bootmii or play GC games for too long. It's done something like this before as well, but started working when we gave it time to cool down.

Now I don't really know whether this is relevant or not, but here's a brief summary of the long story of modding my wii in the first place:
>Wanted to play Melee: SD Remix, so I go to learn how to softmod wii a few months ago
>try stack smash
>doesn't work, stage builder just loaded to a exception 0700, w/e that is
>try a dozen times, including with clean downloads and new SD cards
>Still didn't work
>Ask for help various places, letter bomb suggested
>still didn't work
>double check everything, clean install on new SD card
>still didn't work
>EXCEPTION 0700, EXCEPTION 0700 EVERYWHERE
>occasional stack dump while trying though
>Day after I gave up, dropped wii 2 feet onto tile accidentally
>wondered jokingly to friends if it would install HBC now, start up letterbomb hack
>It finally worked
>Still fucking confused to this day

Now about having bootmii... I installed it when I finally got letterbomb to work for me, and at the time it worked so I made a NAND backup, which I still have. But a while later I tried to start it up to no avail, the drive just flashed despite having changed nothing. I have since taken the files off my SD card (tho I still have them on my laptop) so that I could still use my wii.

Just yesterday I TRIED to install a wad so I could have a forwarder for CFG (the glass on in particular) but it refused to do so, giving me an error and saying "ret -2011". I feel like that wouldn't be the issue, but may be related to a core issue that is the primary cause of most of these problems I'm having with my wii, including this current one of pretending that it's not on. So having said all that, a condensed history of my bad luck plagued wii... does anyone know how to help or what the problem is?

TL;DR Wii was uncooperative trying to initially softmod, was moody after we successfully softmodded it, and now randomly one day won't even output any AV. Any help please? I can show a syscheck that I did just yesterday after the CFG forwarder wad refused to install, if that helps.

DrinkingFood

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They just flashed some of the lights about a dozen times then turned off. I'm assuming that means they did not connect.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
-Do the wiimotes power the wii on?

-Do you have a gc controller?
If you have a gc controller try savemiifrii.

-Did you install bootmii as boot2 or as ios?

-Did you install priiloader?

-Have you tried to load priiloader if it is installed?

DrinkingFood

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got this wii a short while after brawl came out. Same year I believe, since I had one of those older ones that wouldn't read dual layer disks, so we sent it in and got a new one from nintendo causing us to lose all our data.
The wiimotes ARE able to turn on the wii, but they turn off shortly after.
I don't have priiloader, but I do believe I have bootmii as boot2. But I have never been able to get it to work, as when the SD card with the files on it is in the wii, the disk drive light flashes until I turn it off. I have no idea how to get it to boot via boot2 because of that.
I do have some GCCs, but does savemiifrii require anything else like a modchip? Because I have literally nothing else.

DrinkingFood

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it flashes twice. Thank goodness, I couldn't remember what I installed bootmii as. But I'm still not sure that I know how to get it working. Everytime I've tried to boot via bootmii the wii just sits there flashing the drive light. Anyone know why that is and/or how to fix that?

EDIT: it's doing it right now- I put all the files back on my SD cars and left it in as I turned it on. To be sure I removed all GC peripherals from the wii in case those would have interfered. Now the drive is just flashing... haven't been able to go anywhere from there.

DrinkingFood

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i've gotten to the point that I'm just trying everything relevant now, and everything has yielded a black screen so far (haven't tried savemiifrii yet tho because from what ive read it requires a modchip which I do not have) except for one thing. I found someone else who appeared to hace had a similar problem, and followed some instructions of the staff that helped him: http://www.wiihacks.com/bricked-wii...boot-i-have-nand-key-files-hand-needhelp.html in particular he gave a download link with a password (which he says on the second page of the thread) so I put the files thereof on a clean SD card and got this screen when I booted my wii:
picture012.jpg

Does this mean anything in particular? I'm not really even sure what the file was that I downloaded, it just seemed to be the bootmii files but it gave at least some kind of result where as mine did nothing for me.

WDae

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
At least you've got a video output...

Anyways it's the old cboot2 files, not bootmii's ones.

There are mines down (v - bootmii.zip - v)

Attachments

• bootmii.zip
    322.3 KB · Views: 188

DrinkingFood

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those didn't do anything different for me unfortunately :/
Does anyone have any clue as to how I could use cboot to restore my wii? It's the only thing I have been able to get my wii to register so far...

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can't use cboot2, you don't have any useable ios for it to load. Try loading the nand formater as described in the post I liked you, replace ppcboot.elf with the nand formater elf, put the wads where they need to go. The nand formater is not always reliable, sometimes it takes a few times to get it to complete. It likes to hang while installing wads at times.

WDae

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

DrinkingFood

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trying the nand formatter, I got it to start the installing process but it appears to be stuck on the first wad (the IOS17 one). Also noticed that it only displayed the first six numbers of my serial number rather than the whole thing, is that normal given the settingedit application I used? I'll be trying again here in a sec to get the formatter to work with what I've got atm, though.

EDIT: So I tried five times to get the formatter to work, but everytime it hung on the wad for IOS17. Does it make a difference that my wii was formerly 4.3U but this formatter formats to 4.1U?
Also interesting to note, when I checked to see what would happen if I had it try to read the setting.txt from the current nand, it said "something failed!"

Not sure what to do here. Can you check that my SD card is properly set up?:
Bootmii folder:
-armboot.bin
-bootmii.elf (formerly the ppcboot.elf
-bootmii.ini
-ppcboot.elf (formerly nand formatter 2.0.elf)
Wad folder:
-various wads from the download
Not in any folders:
-nand.bin
-keys.bin (not sure if I needed these two)
-setting.txt (created with settingedit)

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That looks right to me. Sure would be nice if bootmii would load. Not sure what would cause bootmii not to load but other mini apps run.

Try to setup a sneek setup with modmii, see if that loads using boot2 bootmii to load it. That should let you know if the wii is working or not.

I think bootmii and the nand formater are your only choices to fix it. Not sure, possibly a wii linux can write to nand, not sure.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've softmodded the hell out of my Wii. Everything works fine. But I do have an issue where when I start it up sometimes nothing pops up. The solution bizarrely enough is simply to eject the SD card and then turn on the Wii. Don't know how nor why, but if I ever have the issue of the Wii not booting up (doesn't happen every time) just ejecting the SD card and then hitting the power button allows it to properly boot up. Don't know if this is your issue or not, but just try ejecting the SD card next time before booting up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo