Hacking Black screen, no AV, help? Also some general help would be nice as well if we get this working...

mike333

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yes, it flashes twice. Thank goodness, I couldn't remember what I installed bootmii as. But I'm still not sure that I know how to get it working. Everytime I've tried to boot via bootmii the wii just sits there flashing the drive light. Anyone know why that is and/or how to fix that?

EDIT: it's doing it right now- I put all the files back on my SD cars and left it in as I turned it on. To be sure I removed all GC peripherals from the wii in case those would have interfered. Now the drive is just flashing... haven't been able to go anywhere from there.
Make nand dump (backup any previous ones) then run:
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Ohneschwanzenegger
Import/open Your dump.
Inject SM 512 or 513 or 514 or 518 picked by console region:
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/System_Menu
Inject IOS80 also 17, 36, 58 in latest versions.
Move new/prepared nand to sd and burn onto Wii using bootmii@boot2.

edit: also read my warning level comment :)

DrinkingFood

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never have I had to learn so many new things to fix something... man, this is hard. Why can't my wii fuck up normally instead of some freak way where nothing will work?

I'll be trying the NAND formatter again in a couple hours, followed by a few other suggestions if that is still unresponsive (which I figure it will be). Does anyone know anything about a bug/glitch/error/i'm not sure what it is where bootmii is active but doesn't show up on the screen? I stumbled across that in one of my myriad of thread crawlings trying to figure out how to fix this.

DrinkingFood

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FYI I know next to nothing about wii hacking so what may seem easy or basic to you requires hours for me to figure out, only to leave me wondering if I even did it right when it doesn't work. Trust me, I've put hours of effort into this stupid thing only to be denied on every front, so the problem isn't laziness... it's my wii lol.

DrinkingFood

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WAIT. I tried the NAND formatter again and it got to the second wad, the one for IOS31, but appears to have stopped there. If it's able to progress through these, does that mean it's possibly going to make enough progress if I keep trying it?

Trying the Panasonic SD card formatter now, once it's done I'm gonna run through a few methods we've already tried and see if that doesn't fix any of them.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you get the nand formater to install one wad, try to load cboot2 again. Running the formater again will just format the nand and remove what passed. See if cboot2 will load on ios17, then if it does install the other wads.

There was a version of the nand formater that only installed wads and did not format, but the link is dead.

DrinkingFood

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I saw that a few minutes late, and immediately after the SD card formatter finished, I put the NAND formatter files back on the card, back into the wii, turned it on, and after the correct it prompting proceeded through all the wads in a timely fashion, but now is either stuck on the last one, or isn't SUPPOSED to do anything after the last one, or perhaps the last one takes a long time. It's just sitting there now, the last thing on the screen is the name of the systemmenu wad, is it supposed to do that and am I supposed to shut off the wii?

Also I'll try cboot again if you need me to. What exactly is cboot supposed to do btw? I guess it's another type of brick protection, another way to use boot2 to unbrick the wii?

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If the wii does not boot to the system menu, try cboot2. Cboot2 is modified bootmii files that patch an ios 36 or less from nand and load it, then it loads a boot.dol. This is just a way to get an app running on patched ios using bootmii.

If cboot2 loads a wadmanager, install all the wads from the nand formater pack again with wad manager.

DrinkingFood

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
System menu didn't load, but cboot2 loaded the wad manager and I installed all the wads from the nand formatter pack over again. There's an IOS58 and an IOS61 in my wad folder too that came with the cboot2 files as well, should I go ahead and install those as well? What should I do now (or after I install those wads, whichever)? I wouldn't ask for such specific details but at this point my wii just has me really nervous about doing anything with it...

EDIT: Since I'm sitting here at MMM, I opened up the wii system information and apparently my console region is a question mark and my video standard is blank. That seems mighty fishy to me...

EDIT2: I exited out to try the system menu but it didn't come up, so I'm assuming there's either a step I don't know about that I haven't done yet, or There's still something wrong with my wii.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes, install the ios58 and ios61. Also install bootmii ios254, and cios249 v17 wads. Keep the MMM running, take the sd out and put the bootmii folder back on. Then put the sd card in the wii, select reload ios, load ios254. Bootmii should load. Make a nand backup. Then turn the wii off, take the sd card back to the pc and put the CB2_BB_System-Settings-Replace-mod on the sd card. Put your setting.txt you made on sd:\ and boot the wii. System setting replace should load, restore your setting.txt.

You wii should boot

Now have a look at your nand.bin you made. Use nandbincheck to check the nand.bin.
Code:
nandbincheck nand.bin -all -vvv
run it from the shell console. Post the output of the nandbincheck here.

DrinkingFood

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I followed your instructions up until and including reloading the IOS. As it does when I try to boot directly into bootmii, the screen remains unchanged (but in this case at the select IOS screen with "reloading to IOS254" at the bottom) and the drive light is blinking about once a second.

DrinkingFood

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:O
r u a wizard
no but seriously that got it working, thanks a million
Now I have a wii with nothing but the disc channel. It's 4.1U. What would you recommend I do? Before I go and try to re-soft mod it. Still a bit aggravating that bootmii won't load, would replacing the setting.txt have affected that or is my bootmii still going to act like it doesn't exist?

EDIT: for example, in order to load the brawl disc, it asks me to update, but iirc one of the updates, either 4.2 or 4.3 overwrites boot2, is that something I should just go ahead with and re-install?

EDIT2: I also tried to play a gamecube disc (ssbm) and it froze on a black screen before the progressive scan display prompt appeared. Is this to be expected given how we just fixed my wii? If not, would my old dios mios installation be having a lingering effect despite us having formatted my NAND? Is it possibly my wii being fucked up still? And of course, regardless of the answer, do you know how I would fix that?

Reactions: Sicklyboy

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok that is good. I think you should hold off on updating boot2 ATM or reinstalling boot2 bootmii. You could do, and it should be fine, possibly fixing the issue. I think first you should try to get everything else working, see if you can get a nand dump so we can look at boot2 to see if it looks good or not. Really, your problem is strange.

Format your sd card
Download hackmii installer 1.0 http://bootmii.org/download/
Put boot.elf on sd:\
download bannerbomb v2 and put the private folder on sd:\
http://bannerbomb.qoid.us/index.new.php

Put the sd card in the wii and load the system menu, select the sd menu icon at the bottom of the channel menu. Load the boot.dol/elf. Hackmii should load. Install the HBC. Install bootmii as ios (not boot2), and prepare the sd card. Then exit the installer, HBC should load. Press [HOME] on the wiimote and load bootmii. Bootmii really should load.

Edit- your gc disc do not load because we have not reinstalled mios and bc, it is normal and will be fixed.

DrinkingFood

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That page for bannerbomb says that version is only compatible with 4.2, but I have 4.1. Is that outdated, or is that a problem, or...?

EDIT: I went ahead and tried it anyway, I got nothing but a flashing disk drive light and a black screen.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok put the cboot2 MMM back on the sd card. Extract modpack.ziip and ios-update.zip to the sd card. Load MMM and install all the wads. Then extract the hackmii installer to sd:\apps\hackmii\boot.dol
Load the wii, then load the black backup HBC. From the HBC try to load the hackmii installer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, I heard herbert stopped appearing on the show