Shinji_PG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As suggested by mthrnite, here's my opinion/suggestion about the issue (topic title).

I'm confused as to why the main page should have Steve Jobs's picture.

- This is not a Apple centered website.
- The news item is 2 days old.
- Other things have happened since then.
- If anything, there should be a 1955-2011 written in the picture.

What does the community think about this issue?

MaxNuker

GBATemp's Official Shinigami Substitute
Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Portugal
Plus:

Mods already said: This website also has a SmartPhone Section, so, its only natural that Steve Jobs is holding his Invention (the iPhone) and we have a SmartPhone section... so i see nothing bad with it...

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Shinji_PG said:
shadowmanwkp said:
Shinji_PG said:
Depravo said:
Shinji_PG said:
- Image related to Apple and iPhone, not to Steve Jobs' death.
Would an image of a diseased pancreas have been more appropriate?

I'll link you up to some professional magazine, to show-case what types of pictures they chose to represent the ill event:
http://www.wired.com/
http://gizmodo.com/

Also, Apple Inc's own website:
http://www.apple.com/ (notice the birth and death years)

All three images contain the same thing as in the news article on the front page: Steve Jobs. Go troll harder

The image chosen by GBATemp's Magazine Staff was of Steve Jobs holding an iPhone as to show it to an audience.
It would be easily mistaken, at first-glance, for the news of a new iPhone, and not of Steve Jobs' death.
Just because a photo contains an element related to a news item, doesn't make it appropriate altogether.
Also, I'm just replying to shadowmanwkp's question.

you know what, that's what TITLES are for, that's what READING THE ARTICLE is for.

you look at one second then you read the title. you don't goddamn look at the picture then shout "ANOTHER IPHONE IS RELEASED YAY!!!"

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
There are many things severely wrong with your complaint.

1. Seriously, anyone with the ability to read could realize that this is about Steven Jobs' death. It's not that difficult to read a title above the image.
2. The point of making it front page news is not so much to inform, but to inform people that they might want to add an insight to what is being talked about.
3. It appears that you're the only one being significantly affected by this. Perhaps this suggests something.
4. People HAVEN'T submitted news as front page news. It's quite simple, if they submit it, it's likely that they'll place it. But they haven't. Do note that it shows the most RECENT news first. That is, if it's set to All News, that of which you can change in a click.
5. If you think this is a big deal, then there's something wrong with how you perceive it. For example, the Skyward Sword news posted a days ago. I thought the picture was too big (much bigger than this one), but it didn't really matter since people seemed to be interested with the topic at hand. Yet I don't see you complaining about how that was one the front page for quite a while a few days ago. Was it because it was exclusively gaming news? If so, that's a very petty reason.
6. Images inform and aid in visualization. Adding a date is unnecessary, simply because it had his age in the title. The primary point of the picture was to remind people of who he was and his persona, perhaps to spark some interest.

shadowmanwkp

Your roms are on another rom site
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
pittston2sarasota-512783-albums-my-mug-shots-lol-pic73915-do-not-feed-troll.png

Shinji_PG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Narayan said:
Shinji_PG said:
shadowmanwkp said:
Shinji_PG said:
Depravo said:
Shinji_PG said:
- Image related to Apple and iPhone, not to Steve Jobs' death.
Would an image of a diseased pancreas have been more appropriate?

I'll link you up to some professional magazine, to show-case what types of pictures they chose to represent the ill event:
http://www.wired.com/
http://gizmodo.com/

Also, Apple Inc's own website:
http://www.apple.com/ (notice the birth and death years)

All three images contain the same thing as in the news article on the front page: Steve Jobs. Go troll harder

The image chosen by GBATemp's Magazine Staff was of Steve Jobs holding an iPhone as to show it to an audience.
It would be easily mistaken, at first-glance, for the news of a new iPhone, and not of Steve Jobs' death.
Just because a photo contains an element related to a news item, doesn't make it appropriate altogether.
Also, I'm just replying to shadowmanwkp's question.

you know what, that's what TITLES are for, that's what READING THE ARTICLE is for.

you look at one second then you read the title. you don't goddamn look at the picture then shout "ANOTHER IPHONE IS RELEASED YAY!!!"

Of course not, that would make the body of the news irrelevant. But the picture should be related to the body of the news. When talking about the death of an individual, known for things other than the iPhone, it seems more approriate to chose a picture of him and not of him with something/someone else. Most professional magazines did it that way.
The point is not to advertise his death, but to report it.

Shinji_PG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I came here as suggested by a moderator to discuss an issue which I have opinions/suggestions about.
But what it seems to have generated is some kind of low-level flamewar which I'm really not interested in.
There's also some insistence on the "we did it before and you didn't complain, why now" argument, which is somewhat annoying. I am not a regular poster on GBATemp, altough I've been reading it for quite some time, so I do have opinions about what I read/see here. But I don't fix anything here, I merely used my right to suggest something.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Shinji_PG said:
Of course not, that would make the body of the news irrelevant. But the picture should be related to the body of the news. When talking about the death of an individual, known for things other than the iPhone, it seems more approriate to chose a picture of him and not of him with something/someone else. Most professional magazines did it that way.
i see. do we have temp weekly mag?
unsure.gif

@above that may have what others said/ or what you think.
but to me, it's "you're the only one complaining"
and you act like it MUST be EXACTLY like what you're saying.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Shinji_PG said:
This is seriously one of the stupidest and petty complaints I've ever seen.

You SERIOUSLY believe that it's necessary to complain and cause a stir merely because they should get a picture of him without an iPhone. Steve Jobs was holding one of his inventions. It wouldn't have been any different had he been solo, or holding an Apple II, or maybe speaking next to a screen, they're all relevant to the man we're trying to point out. Steve Jobs.

Shinji_PG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
KingdomBlade said:
Shinji_PG said:
This is seriously one of the stupidest and petty complaints I've ever seen.

You SERIOUSLY believe that it's necessary to complain and cause a stir merely because they should get a picture of him without an iPhone. Steve Jobs was holding one of his inventions. It wouldn't have been any different had he been solo, or holding an Apple II, or maybe speaking next to a screen, they're all relevant to the man we're trying to point out. Steve Jobs.

I believe the first post of this topic will be sufficient to explain what the issue/opinion is.

Btw, the big Steve Jobs picture has left the main-page (if the news item is left unclicked).

EDIT: I'm having a hard time making my point across to people who think I'm attacking either Steve Jobs or GBATemp.
I didn't mention anything the first days the news item was up, I only did it after 2 days because I was confused as to why the big picture was still there and if it was going to last for long (maybe a sticky or something), so I decided to express my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries