Big image of Steve Jobs (main-page)

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by Shinji_PG, Oct 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2011
  1. Shinji_PG
    OP

Newcomer Shinji_PG Member

Portugal
    As suggested by mthrnite, here's my opinion/suggestion about the issue (topic title).

I'm confused as to why the main page should have Steve Jobs's picture.

- This is not a Apple centered website.
    - The news item is 2 days old.
    - Other things have happened since then.
    - If anything, there should be a 1955-2011 written in the picture.

What does the community think about this issue?

2. Youkai

Member Youkai Demon

Germany
    I don't mind but the first time I saw this here i thaught like "wtf ? yeah sad this guy died but hell I didn't know him in person, this page is not about apple AND its in the news the whole day so need to read it here as well"

3. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    We're also a gaming/tech-related news site.

iPhone is undoubtedly a gaming platform, and we also have a smartphone section.

It's an important news, and most people learned it from here before other places.

As for the fact that it's still there, it's probably because there haven't been any other important news in these 2 days [​IMG]

4. wasim

Member wasim ♫ Music addict ♫

India
    there's no other new news !

if there's no new news any news will be there for a while !

5. MaxNuker

Member MaxNuker GBATemp's Official Shinigami Substitute

Portugal
    Another thing is: If it wasn't for Steve Jobs brilliant mind, and his rivality with Bill Gates, the world would never have seen such jumps in techonology as we did...

6. Shinji_PG
    OP

Portugal
    It is true no personality died since then, but other things have been announced, like the White Ice 3DS which seems like an interesting addition.

I'm sure the Magazine Staff will update the main page with other news eventually, since the gaming-industry doesn't stop for the death of one individual, but the main issue I'm trying to point out is the exaggeration of the presentation of the news. While I think it is a news-worthy happening, even by a website which is not Apple centered, the porportion of space it occupies in the mainpage seems too much. A big picture of Steve Jobs holding an iPhone might even lead at first-glance to think a new iPhone has been announced.
    It seems to me it would be sufficient to have the text and a small reference picture, if anything.

7. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    Pretty much.

I respect him because of this and his other contributions (he was at Pixar)

8. Narayan

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    [​IMG]
    just choose one of the tabs.

look, i don't see his face anymore. satisfied?

also, yes he is holding an iphone. but how long will it take for you to read and understand that it's not about a new iphone????

9. nutella

Member nutella Low Glycemic Index

Australia
    I think its a non-issue, and your persistence in having the picture removed is border-lining disrespect. It's been 2 two days. Much more insignificant news has been on the front page for MUCH longer than that.

10. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Well, probably no one submitted a news to the front page, simply that. I don't think that the image is still stuck there on purpose.

11. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    The front page news has changed... HAPPY NOW?!?!? [​IMG]

Just kidding.

But yeah, I've seen many boring stuff been up for more than 2 days.

12. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    It was indeed a very important event, and for many on this site, a very sad event. We are a gaming site, but that isn't all we are. Quite a bit of what sets GBAtemp apart from some of the other gaming sites is that we are a community. The community, by and large, cares about this news story. I've been around here as staff for a few years now and I often see the complaint "..but this is a gaming site, what does your mother dying/you coming out of the closet/your wife leaving you have to do with gaming?" and the answer is, it doesn't have a lot to do with gaming, but it does have a lot to do with gamers, our gamers, the people in our community.

So if you come to this site mainly for gaming news, releases, technical help, etc... that's fine and great, but do expect that there will be content superfluous to your needs here.

Steve Jobs' death was a pretty big deal to a lot of people in our community, a pretty goddamned huge deal to some, not to put too fine a point on it. His influence is strong in the design world, and the tech world, and he shaped a lot of what we do, what we play, and what we consume. He is very important.

He won't be on the front page forever, or even for very much longer, but I hope I've given you some insight into why he's been there as long as he has.

13. Aeter

Member Aeter A walking contradiction

Netherlands
    Ah yes, rivality and techonology, what are we to do with them.

14. Shinji_PG
    OP

Portugal
    What I meant from what I wrote:
    - Image too big.
    - Image related to Apple and iPhone, not to Steve Jobs' death.
    - Text would be enough with optional (smaller) photograph.

I am aware other news items have been for longer than they should (I'm a reader since 2005), but that doesn't sustain it should continue to be done.

I am not against reporting the death of anyone, all I'm saying is some aspects need to be taken into consideration when making those reports (especially in the main page).

But from what I can see the community is generally ok with the fact. I guess my suggestion is moot.

15. Chikaku-chan

Member Chikaku-chan ᏁᎽᎪ~

Australia
    He is a great man and if I am correct he is basicaly one of the biggest reasons we have pc's, you know because of microsofts need to steal peoples ideas and add a little bit of there own to keep it

16. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    Would an image of a diseased pancreas have been more appropriate?

17. Chikaku-chan

Member Chikaku-chan ᏁᎽᎪ~

Australia
    Umm Im hoping this is a joke [​IMG]

18. Shinji_PG
    OP

Portugal
    I'll link you up to some professional magazine, to show-case what types of pictures they chose to represent the ill event:
    http://www.wired.com/
    http://gizmodo.com/

Also, Apple Inc's own website:
    http://www.apple.com/ (notice the birth and death years)

19. shadowmanwkp

Member shadowmanwkp Your roms are on another rom site

Netherlands
    All three images contain the same thing as the news article on the front page: Steve Jobs. The only difference with this one is that he's holding the product he made popular, nothing wrong with that. They're all different pictures at the other sites, but this is not a "professional site" or a "magazine" so you should expect the picture to differ a bit. What they do share is that it portrays who Steve was. Go troll harder

20. Shinji_PG
    OP

Portugal
    The image chosen by GBATemp's Magazine Staff was of Steve Jobs holding an iPhone as to show it to an audience.
    It would be easily mistaken, at first-glance, for the news of a new iPhone, and not of Steve Jobs' death.
    Just because a photo contains an element related to a news item, doesn't make it appropriate altogether.
    Also, I'm just replying to shadowmanwkp's question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.