• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Biden just indicated, that he would preserve Trump tax cuts

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. I'm not even bothering with this shit today. Said what I had to say, you know exactly what I mean, and that's all that needs sayin'.
There's only one political party in this country that has flat-out said they aren't going to work with the incumbent president (once for 44 and once for 46), and it's not the Democratic Party.

My post wasn't the one that could be described as "shit."

Reactions: The Catboy and Xzi

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nope. I'm not even bothering with this shit today. Said what I had to say, you know exactly what I mean, and that's all that needs sayin'.

Exactly what you mean is "oh no my point doesn't make any sense, I'll blame everyone else and pretend that I'm upset so you won't notice"

Reactions: Lacius

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly what you mean is "oh no my point doesn't make any sense, I'll blame everyone else and pretend that I'm upset so you won't notice"
If @Hanafuda wants to look at how Democrats behaved under the last Republican president, vs. how Republicans are acting under Biden, we can literally look at an apples to apples comparison like COVID-19 relief. Democrats compromised and voted for COVID-19 relief under the previous administration, but Republicans obstructed and didn't vote for COVID-19 relief under Biden.

The idea that Democrats are somehow just as bad as Republicans when it comes to obstruction and overt refusal to compromise is absurd.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmm... Can't deny I'm disappointed here.

Biden's still over par with canceling most of Trump's idiotic agenda (no, you're NOT leaving the WHO, to name just something) and handling the pandemic...

... But this isn't a small concession. Heck... Am I missing something? I thought this was one of Biden' s most prominent campaign promises. :unsure:

EDIT: there's something odd about this timing. The OP sort of boo's out Biden, and I can see why.

But just today on my local news channel, one of the topics was about the G7 (basically the 7 richest countries) that signed a global accord regarding corporate taxes. More specifically that they agreed to not have it come below 15%. My local newspaper even added the following interesting bit (source: https://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20210605_96050493):

De G7 zijn akkoord om de strijd tegen belastingontwijking op te voeren. Volgens de deal zullen Europese landen meer mogelijkheden krijgen om grote multinationals te belasten waar ze klanten hebben, en dus niet enkel in het land van hun hoofdkantoor. Veel bedrijven planten hun hoofdzetel namelijk in landen met lage belastingtarieven.

Daarnaast willen de G7 ook een wereldwijde vennootschapsbelasting van minstens 15 procent doorvoeren, om de race naar de bodem tussen verschillende landen tegen te gaan. Dit voorstel kwam van de Amerikanen, die aanvankelijk zelfs een tarief van 21 procent wilden.

Roughly translated by yours truly:

The G7 agree to crank up the battle against tax evasion. According to the deal European countries will have the possibility to tax multinations where they've got customers, so not just in the country of their main office. Many companies put their main seat in countries with low tax rates.

Aside this, the G7 want to introduce a global corporate tax of at least 15 procent, to stop the race to the bottom between different countries. This proposition came from the Americans, who initially even proposed a tarif of 21 percent.

So...what's the fucking play here? :unsure:
It's obviously a good thing that at least a large chunk of the legal loopholes for tax evasion are being halted, but how do you combine that with this news? Especially the last bit?

I'd sort of understand that Biden (and the rest of world leaders) want to raise the bar to increase income but don't get above the bar to lose out to those limbo'ing a bit more, but why was Biden (and/or Janet Yellen) pushing for a 21% minimum when the video in OP sort of shows a direct 180° turn on that trajectory?

I don't like to compare against the previous guy, but at least Trump sort of consistently combined maliciousnes with incompetence, making the end result a mess we (well...non-US residents, at least :P ) learned to ignore or watch in a sort of bewildered glee ("okay...today he wants to buy Greenland. Am I supposed to laugh or cry at this news?").
This is...well...something actually important. Which makes this local news in the US also world news...

Vote Democrat vote Republican nothing changes
Erm... I get why you make this post, but let's not kid ourselves. You know damn well there's major differences, even when talking hyperbolically.

I'm willing to settle on 'the same bullshit policy, but at least it's not covered up by a daily slew of controversies'. You okay with that? :creep:

Last edited by Taleweaver,
Reactions: Xzi

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Trumps tax cuts helped the economy grow and prosper so I'm not sure why anyone would want to get rid of them. Though Biden did run on a platform often mentioning how he is going to raise taxes and usually that was followed with the cheering of his supporters. I'm not sure what sort of idiot wants their taxes raised.
Have tax cuts really caused economic growth? Because it seems like there's always a constant recession following every attempt to implement trickle-down economics.

Reactions: Lacius and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Have tax cuts really caused economic growth?
Only if they're given to the working poor, because those dollars then get spent on necessities. Tax cuts designed to benefit mostly the wealthy do nothing to boost the economy because that money doesn't get spent, just shoved in an offshore account somewhere.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Only if they're given to the working poor, because those dollars then get spent on necessities. Tax cuts designed to benefit mostly the wealthy do nothing to boost the economy because that money doesn't get spent, just shoved in an offshore account somewhere.
Yeah, but that's not trickle-down economics and caring about the income of the poor isn't really on the table for most politicians in the US. So we always end up with trickle-down and rich people hoarding money they didn't earn.

Reactions: Xzi

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have tax cuts really caused economic growth? Because it seems like there's always a constant recession following every attempt to implement trickle-down economics.
  1. Bill Clinton raises taxes on high earners, economy improves anyway
  2. George W. Bush cuts taxes for high earners, economy tanks anyway
  3. Obama raises taxes on high earners, economy improves anyway
  4. Trump cuts taxes on high earners, economy tanks anyway
Gosh, this is a tricky one.

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ngl every time something happens and someone pulls the false equivalency of both parties being roughly the same it just makes me sad that they don't know what a "lesser evil" is
one party can't do jack shit, mostly due to the obstinacy and stonewall obstruction of the other
one party can do shit, refuses to do anything the other suggests and sticks to doing things that actively worsen the situation
I legitimately can't understand how the two can be considered remotely close to equal after we just had four years of a narcissistic madman shitting on whatever rights and reason he could, actively doing as little as possible to combat a global pandemic when he could have potentially saved hundreds of thousands of lives by doing so, spouting nonsensical claims of fraud when he got his ass electorally kicked and inflaming his base with said claims to the point of INCITING A FUCKING ATTEMPTED COUP

gee it's almost like the rich are already far too wealthy and the way to get them to shit out a reasonable amount of money back into the economy is NOT to shove more back up their asses

Last edited by Plasmaster09,
Reactions: Lacius

Deleted member 559230

Trophies
XP

Yes, there was major economic growth affecting almost every sector and benefiting the upper, middle and lower classes. COVID19 caused the bed economies and I'd say you could blame Trump for that, but it affected 99.9% of the world's economies in about the same fashion, so blaming Trump is not a valid option.

Since the pandemic is almost over and things are getting back to where they were before COVID-19 the question remains - Is Biden going to fuck things up? Him not getting rid of Trump's tax cuts would be a good start to making sure we don't fall further into the shit hole.

Last edited by Deleted member 559230,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
imagine living in a fantasy and doing it for free
  1. There's a grand jury in New York deciding right now whether or not to indict him.
  2. He's being investigated for breaking Georgia election law.
  3. Numerous obstruction of justice instances were outlined in the Mueller Report.
I'm not the one living in a fantasy world.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yes, there was major economic growth affecting almost every sector and benefiting the upper, middle and lower classes. COVID19 caused the bed economies and I'd say you could blame Trump for that, but it affected 99.9% of the world's economies in about the same fashion, so blaming Trump is not a valid option.

Since the pandemic is almost over and things are getting back to where they were before COVID-19 the question remains - Is Biden going to fuck things up? Him not getting rid of Trump's tax cuts would be a good start to making sure we don't fall further into the shit hole.
What about the other times with trickle-down economics that didn't work? Every single instance of using Trickle-down has been followed by a recession, then followed by Democrats slightly increasing taxes on the rich with economic growth, followed by another recession when under trickle-down. This has been the same repeating cycle since Reagan's administration. Biden choosing to keep using Trump's tax cuts is just going to result in another recession, history backs that up.

Valwinz

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
  1. There's a grand jury in New York deciding right now whether or not to indict him.
  2. He's being investigated for breaking Georgia election law.
  3. Numerous obstruction of justice instances were outlined in the Mueller Report.
I'm not the one living in a fantasy world.
This we got him boy THIS TIME FOR SURE

Deleted member 559230

Trophies
XP
What about the other times with trickle-down economics that didn't work? Every single instance of using Trickle-down has been followed by a recession, then followed by Democrats slightly increasing taxes on the rich with economic growth, followed by another recession when under trickle-down. This has been the same repeating cycle since Reagan's administration. Biden choosing to keep using Trump's tax cuts is just going to result in another recession, history backs that up.

I'm curious to what exactly you've been reading that would give you the impression that each time we had a Republican in office and they lowered taxes that we ended up in a recession? Are you old enough to have been around when Reagan was in office or are you just referring to something you've read online? If you are sourcing your claims from online would you mind linking me? I also don't really find Wikipedia to be that great of a source when it come to politics. Just saying ....

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious to what exactly you've been reading that would give you the impression that each time we had a Republican in office and they lowered taxes that we ended up in a recession? Are you old enough to have been around when Reagan was in office or are you just referring to something you've read online? If you are sourcing your claims from online would you mind linking me? I also don't really find Wikipedia to be that great of a source when it come to politics. Just saying ....
Please see my previous post:

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
https://www.thebalance.com/trickle-down-economics-theory-effect-does-it-work-3305572
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/12/23/tax-cuts-rich-trickle-down/
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tax-cuts-rich-50-years-no-trickle-down/
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...nomics-fails-a-sophisticated-statistical-test
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/dec/20/joe-biden-trickle-down-economics-build-up
https://www.americanprogress.org/is.../24/437625/trickle-tax-cuts-dont-create-jobs/
This isn't even a fraction of the sources stating that trickle-down doesn't work.
Literally, the only time trickle-down worked was when Reagan increased government spending to make up for the losses caused by decreasing taxes. This isn't evidence of his economic plan working as it still required taking the money from somewhere else. There's a pretty trend of the economy tanking under trickle-down when there isn't government spending to offset the losses.
spending
Edit: We can also just look at the data and take note the massive obvious patterns
https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/USA/united-states/gdp-growth-rate
https://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2020/10/business/us-economy-trump-vs-other-presidents/
I would like to see some sources that actually prove trickle-down works.

Last edited by The Catboy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    T @ Texasauras: SOLILOQUY