Wiitired but still kicking
OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
@edwarrior, the question ModMii is asking about is for your usb-loader, so to run games off a usb, u obviously must have a USB HDD! Note that u can still mod your Wii with just an SD card, but then u still need a HDD for usb-loading! The only reason why USB is recommended, is cuz it means u can launch your usb-loader with just a USB instead of a USB+SD Card. Besides, do u really want to clutter your sd card with game cover images? Waste of valuable sd card space! In the end, if u always got both ur sd card and usb hdd in your Wii it makes no difference.

@bnm81002, since 4.1/4.2/4.3 are all basically the same, I recommend you stay on whatever version you are on now. If you're on 4.3, stay on 4.3. If you're on 4.2, stay on 4.2. If you're on 4.1, stay on 4.1. However, if you're less than 4.1, I would recommend updating using modmii to 4.1, but it really makes no difference if u update to 4.3 using modmii since u'll have the latest HBC installed before performing the upgrade anyways, so no riskier than updating to 4.1.

edwarrior

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
XFlak said:
@edwarrior, the question ModMii is asking about is for your usb-loader, so to run games off a usb, u obviously must have a USB HDD! Note that u can still mod your Wii with just an SD card, but then u still need a HDD for usb-loading! The only reason why USB is recommended, is cuz it means u can launch your usb-loader with just a USB instead of a USB+SD Card. Besides, do u really want to clutter your sd card with game cover images? Waste of valuable sd card space! In the end, if u always got both ur sd card and usb hdd in your Wii it makes no difference.

@bnm81002, since 4.1/4.2/4.3 are all basically the same, I recommend you stay on whatever version you are on now. If you're on 4.3, stay on 4.3. If you're on 4.2, stay on 4.2. If you're on 4.1, stay on 4.1. However, if you're less than 4.1, I would recommend updating using modmii to 4.1, but it really makes no difference if u update to 4.3 using modmii since u'll have the latest HBC installed before performing the upgrade anyways, so no riskier than updating to 4.1.

Ahh thanks Xflak

I was under the impression that USB was a USB stick and not a USB HDD.

Thanks for the clarification.

edwarrior

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey Xflak,

i tried to install the HBC and boot2, however i received the error "The installed boot1 version prevents a boot2 install (-2)". How would i go about fixing this.

The generate guide states:
"If you cannot install BootMii as Boot2, you also need to 'prepare an SD Card' for BootMii (as the 'BootMii' folder is required to launch BootMii as IOS or Boot2)."

Im not exactly sure what this means as I cannot find a "bootmii' folder in the folder.

Also, after finding this file/folder to i just place it into the root of the same SD card where the other files are?

Thanks

robjanssen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
edwarrior said:
Hey Xflak,

i tried to install the HBC and boot2, however i received the error "The installed boot1 version prevents a boot2 install (-2)". How would i go about fixing this.

"If you cannot install BootMii as Boot2, you also need to 'prepare an SD Card' for BootMii (as the 'BootMii' folder is required to launch BootMii as IOS or Boot2)."

Im not exactly sure what this means as I cannot find a "bootmii' folder in the folder.

Also, after finding this file/folder to i just place it into the root of the same SD card where the other files are?

Thanks

This means you cannot install BootMii as boot2.
So you can only install BootMii as IOS.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
edwarrior said:
Hey Xflak,

Thanks
You can't install bootmii as boot2 because Nintendo fixed a vulnerability in boot1 back in mid-2008. There is no way around this.

When you run the hackmii installer, just install bootmii as IOS. It will create the bootmii folder for you. Prepare an SD Card for Bootmii is only needed if you want to create the folder on multiple SD cards without reinstalling each time or copying it on the computer, or if you accidentally deleted the bootmii folder.

edwarrior

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
JoostinOnline said:
edwarrior said:
Hey Xflak,

Thanks
You can't install bootmii as boot2 because Nintendo fixed a vulnerability in boot1 back in mid-2008. There is no way around this.

When you run the hackmii installer, just install bootmii as IOS. It will create the bootmii folder for you. Prepare an SD Card for Bootmii is only needed if you want to create the folder on multiple SD cards without reinstalling each time or copying it on the computer, or if you accidentally deleted the bootmii folder.

hey thanks for the quick reply,
so basically, do i just install what i can from the options and continue on?

any negatives associated with this or will there be anything i cant do in the future?

thanks

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
edwarrior said:

any negatives associated with this or will there be anything i cant do in the future?

thanks
You just continue the guide and install bootmii as IOS, but not boot2, then make a NAND backup following ModMii's instructions.

Bootmii as boot2 is far better than bootmii as IOS, but that doesn't make the IOS version useless. With bootmii as boot2, you can restore your NAND in the event of a full brick, because it loads before the System Menu. Other than boot2 corruption (which would corrupt your install) or an upgrade (which would overwrite boot2 so you have to install it again), you will always be able to recover from a software related brick. Obviously it won't help you if you took a sledge hammer to the Wii because it was seeing your gf behind your back, but it's pretty much the ultimate brick protection.

Bootmii as IOS will allow you to make a NAND backup, but not (safely) restore it. It will still save you from a partial brick if you can access it through Priiloader, the HBC, or an auto-boot disc because you can use cboot2 to load something like Multi-Mod Manager.

If you can't access it, you can still pay someone around $50 to flash your NAND using the nand.bin and keys.bin files that are created when you do a NAND backup. It's not free, but it's a lot better than buying a new Wii.

edwarrior

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
JoostinOnline said:
edwarrior said:

thanks
You just continue the guide and install bootmii as IOS, but not boot2, then make a NAND backup following ModMii's instructions.

Bootmii as boot2 is far better than bootmii as IOS, but that doesn't make the IOS version useless. With bootmii as boot2, you can restore your NAND in the event of a full brick, because it loads before the System Menu. Other than boot2 corruption (which would corrupt your install) or an upgrade (which would overwrite boot2 so you have to install it again), you will always be able to recover from a software related brick. Obviously it won't help you if you took a sledge hammer to the Wii because it was seeing your gf behind your back, but it's pretty much the ultimate brick protection.

Bootmii as IOS will allow you to make a NAND backup, but not (safely) restore it. It will still save you from a partial brick if you can access it through Priiloader, the HBC, or an auto-boot disc because you can use cboot2 to load something like Multi-Mod Manager.

If you can't access it, you can still pay someone around $50 to flash your NAND using the nand.bin and keys.bin files that are created when you do a NAND backup. It's not free, but it's a lot better than buying a new Wii.

Thanks mate for the help!
Was wandering how i would get a brick/partial brick in the first place. Going to try hard to avoid it.
And haha loved the joke you threw in there too
smile.gif

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
edwarrior said:
Thanks mate for the help!
Was wandering how i would get a brick/partial brick in the first place. Going to try hard to avoid it.
You can probably find a list of all bricks by doing a search, but these are ways to avoid them

A common way that people get full bricks is because they uninstall the System Menu IOS, install a stubbed version, or they uninstall the System Menu itself. I don't know why they ever think it's a good idea, but I've seen it a lot. Just don't mess with stuff like (especially an IOS under 200) that unless you are instructed to do so following a guide like ModMii (not a youtube/failtube guide!) or someone is helping you solve a brick, which shouldn't be a problem.

Ways to get partial bricks are:
By deleting any non-stub/System Menu IOS's. Discs and channels run using those, so for each one you delete, the worse it is. Just don't mess with any IOS below 200.
Installing a corrupt IOS wad. ModMii checks to make sure wads are valid, so it's not a problem there.
Installing a channel with a messed up banner. Just don't install channels that aren't tested.
Deleting a custom channel through Data Management. This one is not commonly known, as you rarely notice it unless you are scrolling through channels really fast. To remove custom channels, uninstall the using a wad manager. Always keep the wad of any custom channels you install.
Installing corrupt System Menu themes. ModMii should do it fine, but don't ever try to use on you've downloaded from the internet.

As long as you avoid doing things like that (or really stupid things in general), you shouldn't have a problem. People usually get bricks because they try and do things they don't understand and aren't following some sort of good guide.
QUOTE(edwarrior @ Apr 29 2011, 07:09 AM) And haha loved the joke you threw in there too
smile.gif
Lol, thanks. I throw jokes in my posts every once in awhile, mostly during brick recovery threads to cheer up the user.

edwarrior

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks mate for all the help, much appreciated!

Currently in the process of hopefully softmodding my first wii.

Again, thanks Joostin!

bnm81002

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XFlak said:

well it's my brother in law's Wii, he was on 4.2U so I used ModMii to update it to 4.3U, glad to know it makes no difference between the 3 versions

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
bnm81002 said:
XFlak said:

well it's my brother in law's Wii, he was on 4.2U so I used ModMii to update it to 4.3U, glad to know it makes no difference between the 3 versions
4.1 is the easiest to fix in the event of a brick, but as long as you don't do anything stupid you should be okay on 4.3.

edwarrior

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys,
I have now successfully softmodded my wii
biggrin.gif

Are there any essential wii programs or websites/guides i should look into?
Also what are some good channels to install, and would there be a website anywhere with a complete guide/list on installing these?

Lastly, i have games like super mario and black ops but was wandering if i am still able to play online, and update the latest patches without bricking?

Thanks !

Weenus

Trophies
XP
Country
XFlak,

I've registered with GBAtemp purely to thank you for the excellent Wii-modifier procedure.

I would recommend all would-be (*ahem*) "Wii modification technicians"
wink.gif
to use this superlative process.

If a grumpy, flatulant, sausage-fingered old git like me can do it, anyone can...

(As long as you can read, and follow written instructions).

Thanks again, and keep up the fine work.

nintendowii

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
hey xflak,
great work what you did with modmii
smile.gif

is it possible to add waninkokos rev14 to sneek build, because some homebrew didnt work at the emulated nand, like savegame manager gx. i things some savegames are important for a lot of users and if the emulated nand makes trouble, they go lost.

many thanks

pplucky

Trophies
XP
Country
nintendiw!! said:
hey xflak,
great work what you did with modmii
smile.gif

is it possible to add waninkokos rev14 to sneek build, because some homebrew didnt work at the emulated nand, like savegame manager gx. i things some savegames are important for a lot of users and if the emulated nand makes trouble, they go lost.

many thanks
If you have a WAD file for it, you can install manually with ShowMiiWads.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    PandaPandel @ PandaPandel: indeed