Hacking Best way to download game updates?

Drak0rex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to download updates for all my disc games and I'm getting nowhere. There seems to be multiple ways of going about this: Uwizard, NUSgrabber command line, and NEW-NUSgrabber GUI. Right now I'm trying the latter.

I'm trying to download an update for Splatoon. It downloads the files, 71 that I've noticed, but it seems to add data to the files little by little, not downloading each file entirely before going on to the next one. After a while, I get a message saying the title isn't on Nintendo's servers. The total file count then goes back to 69 for some reason.

Is there something else I should try that works better?

Last edited by Drak0rex,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sometime, NUS are in maintenance and files are not on the server (or temporarily not available) anymore.
Try again another day.

I'm using NUSGrabber command line to get the encrypted .app and .h3 files.
I think JNustTool has been updated to download app files too instead of decrypted content. you could try it as a 4th alternative tool.

Drak0rex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sometime, NUS are in maintenance and files are not on the server (or temporarily not available) anymore.
Try again another day.

I'm using NUSGrabber command line to get the encrypted .app and .h3 files.
I think JNustTool has been updated to download app files too instead of decrypted content. you could try it as a 4th alternative tool.
Just tell me what I need to type in command because I suck at it. (See the Wiiu Hacking and Homebrew thread)

Drak0rex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    17 KB · Views: 359

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France

Drak0rex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Cyan, When I used NEW NUSgrabber gui it downloaded a total of 71 files and gave me an error message, after which there were only 69 files for the Splatoon update. After using the command line, it has 69 files and weighs 580 MB (609,005,392 bytes)
Size on disk: 580 MB (609,136,640 bytes) Is there any way to verify how many files and how large the update should be?

it has nothing to do with intelligence to solve some problems, it has to do with the way you walk

try something you read -> if it doesnt work read the description/post/followup again exactly to the end

and try again if it doesnt works search for alternatives and start over

and dont post the same question in 3 Threads

ENOUGH. LEAVE ME ALONE.

Last edited by Drak0rex,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Don't fight here please.
We are all trying to help and get help.
If it's the 54th times something is asked, what's the problem ? just answered it for the 54th times or pass your way if you don't want to help anymore. someone else will help (or not) but it's not worth fighting for that.

Thank you for answering him about the update size.
There's another way to check if you have all the files, it's by opening the tmd file in a tmd parser and check how many content it has.
but it's not useful to know if the downloaded app file is complete or broken.

Another good way to check if your download is complete is to look at NUSgrabber log !
check each downloaded file, if they are 100% or not (you have the "downloaded size/full size" info for each download)
1254/1254 <-- good
1230/1254 <-- bad

FunThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
There's another way to check if you have all the files, it's by opening the tmd file in a tmd parser and check how many content it has.
Hi Cyan,

can you advise some good tmd parser ?

I tried the one from trap15-3dshax for 3ds but the shown information is maybe not right/complete for the wiiu.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I made my own with HexWorkshop structure feature, but I guess it's not a "good" one.
it's only useful to check some values, but it doesn't extract or output nice names (like list of .app, list or .h3, etc.)

https://gbatemp.net/attachments/wii_tmd-zip.36518/

Add to the struct folder, then load the file in hexworkshop.
To parse the file, click on "{+}" button in the structure window, and select "_tmd_wiiu" with locked offset starting at address 0x00
There are maybe length mistakes or wrongly named elements, sorry about that. it's not official, I just did it for my own use.

Reactions: FunThomas

FunThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i installed hexworkshop and put your *.hsl file under structures subdir

then i open the title.tmd from the update dir of jnustool and stelected the structure Wii_TMD.hsl and refreshed the structure

should it show something in the structure view ?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
once your tmd file is loaded, and you have the wii_tmd.hsl loaded, you have to apply the structure to the file to "highlight" the file offset.
on the structure windows, select "TMD Structure (wii_tmd.hsl)" in the dropdown menu, then click on {+} button.
Select "_tmd_wiiU" on the left, and "locked document/offset" on the right, with starting offset 0

now you should see in the structure window a list of data.
at the bottom, you have "content info" you can open, and each content are divided in sub-inf like :
cid
index
type
size
hash
etc.

number of content in the last node is dependent of the "num_contents" value found in the tmd header.

FunThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
thanx for your answer but now i'm not sure how to check if all is complete ;-)

under contents are 35 items [0..34]
under conetntinfos are 64 items [0..63]
but the update directory has 69 files inside, if i dont count the 3 title*-files there are still 66 and not 64

is the size somewhere displayed ?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
content_info is always 64 in size, even though only one data is available. I don't know its purpose.

the contents (you have 35 items) means that you should have 35 .app files.
it lists their filename (cid), type and size so you can check if they are complete.
the "type" lets you know if there's a .h3 associated to the .app (I forgot which type it is, sorry. I can check it)
edit:
content type 0x2003 has .h3 file.

content type 0x2003:
[cid].app
[cid].h3

other type:
[cid].app

so, with this information you can verify that you downloaded all the needed files and their size:
tmd, cert, .app and .h3

Usually, the first 3 contents (type 0x2001) contains the rpx, app.xml and cos.xml files.
they don't comes with .h3 files.

Like I said, it's only a way to parse the tmd and not a way to use the data. But it would be easy to make a tool to check if the download is complete by checking if all .app and .h3 are present and their size.
unfortunately, the hash value present in the content info is for the decrypted content, so the checksum can't be used to verify if the downloaded file is correct without de-encrypting all the files. But the file size is already good enough to check if the download was fine or ended with error.

Reactions: FunThomas

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu