Best solution for a GBA cartridge to play a ROMhack that isn’t an EZ flash or Everdrive?

Enderpie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking for a solution to play a ROMhack that doesn’t use an EZ flash Omega or Everdrive.

ROMhack has to have RTC and it appears insidegadgets and all other stores have been out of an RTC compatible flash cart for some time now (June 2022?!?!).

Repros sound super unreliable with their saves. Unless you have a source on a decent one that I can rewrite?

Official cartridges don’t allow you to rewrite the ROM. I’m thinking replace the ROM in a Pokémon Sapphire cart with a fresh one that allows it to be reflashed? I’m confident in my solder skills but I wouldn’t know what chip I would use…

I have an EZ flash but I miss the authentic feel of immediate boot, the longer battery life (2 hours max with Ez flash), the reliable saves that don’t require a 10 second countdown or else you corrupt your data, etc.

I feel I keep going down road after road and they are all dead ends with the current shortage in RTC carts.

Anyone have any solutions or suggestions? I still think swapping out my ROM in an old sapphire cart is the best idea but again I have no idea what chip I would get.

Thanks in advance!

ChanseyIsTheBest

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Pokémon unbound!
That hack has proper RTC support on hardware I have trawled their Discord for answers. It seems like in the past there were some time drift issues in the past but those have been fixed. You couldn't choose a better romhack to put on a repo cart 10/10 taste. The only thing is that Unbound is still being updated? Can you reflash the cart so you can keep up to do with the game?

Reactions: StrayGuitarist

Enderpie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That hack has proper RTC support on hardware I have trawled their Discord for answers. It seems like in the past there were some time drift issues in the past but those have been fixed. You couldn't choose a better romhack to put on a repo cart 10/10 taste. The only thing is that Unbound is still being updated? Can you reflash the cart so you can keep up to do with the game?
Yeah it sounds like as long as another major update doesn’t come along like it did between v1 and v2, I can keep my save file and update the ROM file with each update. The game sounds like it’s in its final life span for updates anyway. Be perfect to dump into a dedicated cart if I could just find one!

ChanseyIsTheBest

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yeah it sounds like as long as another major update doesn’t come along like it did between v1 and v2, I can keep my save file and update the ROM file with each update. The game sounds like it’s in its final life span for updates anyway. Be perfect to dump into a dedicated cart if I could just find one!
Yeah it's just missing the last bit of the postgame in Cube Corp. to tie up some loose ends and some multiplayer functionality still isn't implemented in the Battle Frontier but it is essentially completed. Way more complete than the actual Pokémon games lol especially lately.

Enderpie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh and if anyone has a spare flash cart sitting around with RTC, I’d be willing to pay a pretty penny for one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16