Best MicroSDHC cards

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by ackers, Dec 31, 2007.

Dec 31, 2007

Best MicroSDHC cards by ackers at 6:19 PM (3,424 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. ackers
    OP

Member ackers GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I guess Kingston, Toshiba and A-Data are the best branded cards for this type. If you're interested in a 4gb MicroSDHC card (UK) check here. It's Kingston branded and costs £27.65 with P&P (1-4 days). I can't find a better deal. As for Toshiba branded, well, they're almost non-existent although Memory Zoo (or w/e they're name is) have them for around £40 so just stick with Kingston.

If you find a better price post here.

Now to find a good priced black CycloDS....

EDIT: I just went to buy one so they decide to add £4.71 Tax :'( Cheeky gits!! [​IMG]

EDIT2: Actually I just checked today and the price totals to £23.48 with P&P 2-4 days and VAT! That's actually really good! [​IMG]

2. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    i already recently brought a 2gb kingston micro sd, that's more than enough for DS games, it's not a bad deal though.

3. Agjsdfd

Member Agjsdfd My title

Amazon.co.uk would be the best.
    Sandisk cards 4 gig around 18 pounds.
    6 gig around 33 and 8 gig around 38. All sandisk.
    Kingston 4 gig is 28 pounds.
    Here

4. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    you forgot to add that the delivery is £4.50 so the Sandisk 4 gig is really £21.71 i brought my 2 gig kingston micro sd for £12.48 including shipping.

5. Agjsdfd

Member Agjsdfd My title

Hmm yeah...
    but still cheaper than other sites if you buy more than one at once.

6. ackers
    OP

United Kingdom
    I'm not interested in the SanDisk SDHC range as I heard they are not as fast as the others. It must show too as their price is £10 cheaper!

7. Agjsdfd

Member Agjsdfd My title

Well its not as good as Kingston(Japan), but its not bad though.(well the class 4)

8. Cactuar

Member Cactuar GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I just ordered the A-Data 4GB MicroSDHC card from Newegg (36.99+tax, with free 3-day UPS shipping) so I will update when I check out it's performance.

9. fryfrog

Newcomer fryfrog Member

United States
    I ran across a great a great post about a bunch of SDHC cards on one of the big DS sites.

The funny thing was, the Sandisk 8G (or was it 4G) class 4 card had better speeds than *all* of the others, including the A Data 4G class 6 card. Of course, since Sandisk calls it a class 4, they could lower the speed at any time... but I thought it was interesting.

Maybe someone will recognize that post and link to it.

10. ackers
    OP

United Kingdom
    Care to drop us a hint?

11. ZPE

Member ZPE GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Class 4 is better than class 6 I thought!?

12. muggy

Newcomer muggy Newbie

United States
    If anyone's looking for a 2gb Japanese Kingston, you can find one for cheap HERE
    for

19.99 - $10 for google checkout = $10 + tax

It has the serial number FCR-MRR+SDC/2GBKR on the buy.com website, and on the package I received, and after looking on the web I thought the KR meant the card was made in Korea or Taiwan. The serial number on the card says SD-CO2G Japan. I purchased the card this last week and it took a little while before they shipped out for some reason, but after they shipped it out it only took a day to get to me.

I received the card today, and it's made in Japan, and games like Castlevania POR run fine on it. Just wanted to share the deal with people.

13. johnny9562001

Newcomer johnny9562001 Member

United States

sorry to beat you but ive been having this card, and its amazing ridiculously fast.
    here are my specs using a micromate sandisk sd reader

AVG read speed 20mbs
    Randoms Access 0.7 (faster than Japanese kingston)
    Writes speed AVG 9mbs

absolutely no slowdowns at all in any of my flashcarts, supercard one nor dstt nor m3real

14. ackers
    OP

United Kingdom
    I haven't actually ordered a SDHC card yet and there's no rush to since my CycloDS from gamersection.ca has finally, after ten days, reached 'Shipped' status! Another 7-10 days and I should hopefully have it. [​IMG] Man, I'll be screwed if it's faulty.

Anyways, so you guys are saying the SanDisk SDHC range aren't as sucky as I've been hearing? If so I might as well buy one (4gb) and sav £10 on a Kingston one! Unless the A-Data ones are just as cheap?

Really, what difference does it make? Is it slower to boot games or something? I don't think I'll ever play Castlevania PoR anyway...

15. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    However, SCHC is faster than SD at reading and even a class 2 card (like I have) is ample for Castlevania:PoR and other games that need high-speed memory.

16. ackers
    OP

United Kingdom
    I've been looking around and from what I've gathered if you're looking for a 6gb microSDHC card then get a SanDisk as they are apparently really fast for a Class 6 (or was it a Class 4?) card.

I'm actually looking for a 4gb microSDHC card tho and the SanDisk seems to have the poorest results in this range. A-Data and Kingston/Toshiba looks top for 4gb and they seem to be the same price (around £30).

I don't know whether to buy the 4gb SanDisk because it's so cheap (£20). I mean it's not that bad, is it? It seems to be as good as SanDisk Ultra II 2gb which is good. Will buying this card noticeably affect my Cyclo's performance?

EDIT: I just checked HandTec today and they're selling Kingston 4gb MicroSDHC cards with a price that totals to just £23.48 with P&P 2-4 days and VAT! That's actually really good! [​IMG] Only a few more £££ than the SanDisk 4gb. What do you guys think, good deal?

17. ackers
    OP

United Kingdom
    But it is better than the SanDisk 4gb, right? I hope I didn't just buy a card I could've bought cheaper. Besides I wont be playing Bleach, Castlevania or any other games reported to have slowdowns so that's alright. I probably wont use much of RTS either...

18. mojoex

Member mojoex GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Been trying to make sense of this for a few days but im still confused.

So basically, Sandisk are like the Goodmans of TV's? Cheap?
    What's faster - Class 2, Class 4 or Class 6?
    Would i be better buying a 4gb Kingston Class 4 MicroSDHC, or a 4gb Sandisk MicroSDHC (cant find the class number)?
    From what i've heard, the Japanese Kingston MicroSDHC's (or is it MicroSD 2gb?) are better, but how do i find out which is Japanese?

I'm really confused here so any help would be awesome [​IMG]

19. Avenger

Member Avenger GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I was just about to order there until I saw the delay - I think I will order elsewhere if it takes that long. What made you choose them over modchipcentral.com? Just curious as I bought my last cart there.

20. gratefulbuddy

Member gratefulbuddy amateur lunatic

United States
    Others have said that even a class 2 microSDHC card is fast enough to play all games well. Me personally, I bought the AData class6 4 gb for 36.99. The way I look at it is: You can't be too smart, too pretty or too nice, and your microSDHC card can never be too fast.