Hacking Best microSD card for M3 Real

freezerburn26

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was trying to figure out what's the best kind of microSD card for M3 Real. I've tried a few different ones and they all have lag in games. I tried an A-Data 8 gig card and it wouldn't load Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow at all, it would just white screen. I had an old m3 card and a-Data was the best then for it. So I tried a patriot class 6 card and now Dawn of Sorrow loads and so does Castlevania order of ecclesia, but there is major noticeable lagging compared to my real carts of those games. I know they do not lag like that in game. So I wondered what kind of microsd card do I need to get for my m3 to work okay will all games and at full speeds?

aphirst

Trophies
Website
aphirst.co.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Assuming you don't have fake MicroSD cards, you should probably try formatting them with the Panasonic SD Formatter (google it // assuming you're on Windows). That fixes an awful lot of MicroSD lag issues, especially Castlevania. If you're a Linux user, the command is:
Code:
mkdosfs -I -s 1024 -S 64 /dev/sdx
...as root, where /dev/sdx is the location of your MicroSD. This is for an 8GB card: a 4GB card should use:
Code:
mkdosfs -I -s 512 -S 64 /dev/sdx
...instead.
yaynds.gif

freezerburn26

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure my cards weren't fake. I bought them from Newegg. What does the panasonic application do exactly? What settings should I set on it?

freezerburn26

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, they must matter to some extent, because the A-Data cards I tried didn't work at all with certain games and this patriot card does. If this patriot card ran at full speed in Castlevania Order of Ecclesia, that'd be great, but it lags badly in some areas. The intro to Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow also lags out with it. I don't own The world ends with you, so I'm not sure how well it plays on that one, I've heard that's another problem cart. If anyone knows of a memory card that works full speed with all of these games, that'd be wonderful, but as is, it seems like the new m3 is not even as good as the original m3 sd.

AMPonzi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've had lots of luck with my 8GB Kingston Class 4 out of Japan. I formatted using FAT32 and 32K clusters. In DOS the command is:

format X: /FS:FAT32 /A:32K

Then copy your files and try a defrag operation, that should at least make things run a little more smoothly.

aphirst

Trophies
Website
aphirst.co.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I use Linux, so I don't know what settings to use on it, however on Windows the Panasonic Formatter is THE BEST way to format the MicroSD. It is better than simply using the FORMAT command (the Windows format doesn't conform to SD standards, and NEVER NEVER NEVER Defrag an SD card). The settings are most likely well-explained, and the Panasonic/SD Association's websites should have more info.

saloalea

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I just formatted my 1GB, 2GB and 4GB cards with this:

Code:
mkdosfs -v -c -I -F 16 -R 1 -s 128 -S 512 H:
and my 8GB card with this:

Code:
mkdosfs -v -c -I -F 32 -R 32 -s 128 -S 512 H:
so far, so good
yaynds.gif

aphirst

Trophies
Website
aphirst.co.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Good work.
smile.gif

H: ? What is this madness? How come you have drive letters rather than a /dev/* ? I can't say I've ever seen a Linux distribution behave like *that*.
ohmy.gif

Fantastic skills.
ninja.gif

aphirst

Trophies
Website
aphirst.co.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, you're generally better off with either a Linux FAT formatting tool, or the Panasonic SD one; but certainly formatting just with a higher cluster size will do the world of good.
yaynds.gif

tongue.gif
I didn't know that they'd ported mkdosfs to Windows: I suppose it's a good thing to have various FAT formatting tools available for Windows, anyway.
tongue.gif
You still can't beat Linux though.
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    there is a plugin that display them on the wii u menu, pretty sure it is enabled by default
  • crafthp434 @ crafthp434:
    so like it doesnt exist
    yeah
    ?
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    it doesn't exist, at least not for aroma
    ohhhhh
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    on tiramisu you can access it by opening mii maker
    okay
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I don't have a wii u anymore to test it myself, but if homebrews are not visible on the wii u menu I think you can press L + R + minus to open the plugin menu, there should be an option called "homebrews on wii u menu" or something similar
    nope
    it is L+dpad down+ select
    but homebrew is appearing in the home menu btw
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    yes, now I remember it
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    then it is working, I also don't like that they did this but it is the only option you have if you are using aroma
    i just didint know the homebrew launcher didint exist in aroma
    thanks btw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Im downloading fallout 3 goty edition
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm downloading more ram for my hamster pc
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    New hamster PC, with anal operation and BT connectivity!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, How do I make enemies respawn on gdevelop after
    the player dies?
    Carrying a PC or phone is so old school!
    Squeeze your cheeks twice to answer calls!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty you can use a "spawner" function on any object.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or when your player dies, you can say in code, if enemy exists, do nothing, but if enemy does not exist, then create enemy at certain spot. (This would be a pain tho for lots of emeies)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Easiest, simple way would be just restart scene, but player would restart from beginning.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, thx in advance
    +1
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, thx in advance +1