Best linux distro for a old (07) laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by BORTZ, Feb 15, 2016.

1. BORTZ
    OP

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I have a very old laptop that I would like to wipe and install linux onto. I am open to many a suggestion, but all I ask is that it is easily operable. Like easy to get into and do some light internet browsing.

2. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    While I haven't checked what happened Linux-wise in a long time, back when I still checked that stuff Linux Mint was quite lightweight while still looking nice and userfriendly. I assume it's still good.
    http://www.linuxmint.com/

Edit: There's four editions, not sure which one would be best. I think Cinnamon is recommended, but XFCE might be a little faster?

Last edited by Arras, Feb 15, 2016
  3. dfsa3fdvc1

dfsa3fdvc1 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 3, 2015
    Albania
  4. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    BORTZ likes this.
  5. slimpyman

slimpyman GBAtemp Regular

Aug 13, 2008
    United States
    Valparaiso, IN
    my mom had a garbage 07 cheapie (like 300 bucks back then), and i threw lubuntu on it. it was pretty good. than I really wanted some easy software to stream spotify to roku, and I tried out Windows 10. windows 10 ran better than lubuntu on a laptop with 2gb ram, and a cheap amd processor. check it out, you may be impressed like i was.

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    What specs? 07 is new enough to possibly be a core2 and a couple of gigs of RAM (or you can easily stick a couple in there, 4 if you are good and inclined to pay rip off prices for DDR2 laptop RAM). Such a thing is still useful for many tasks. If you can bring yourself to spend a bit then a SSD will be a nice upgrade.

That said I can second the suggestion of XFCE Linux Mint. Depending upon what you have you may have trouble with wireless drivers but frankly you should probably already be investing in one of those low profile USB things if it matters to you.

7. Necron

Necron Lurking~

Dec 29, 2008
    Chile
    Mi casa
    Linux Mint MATE ran fine on an old AMD Athlon 2 (1.9ghz) with 1 gb of ram for me. It'll probably be faster with XFCE, so you'll wanna go with that.

8. BORTZ
    OP

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Well, anything build off of Ubuntu is out. For whatever reason, none of them can see my broadcom 4311 wireless card. Point, Kali, and Hydrogen all can, I think because they are Debian based. Kali and Hydrogen are NOT user friendly imo, so I'm using point. Everything seems to be ok, all but I cant get the "Install to harddrive" icon to launch. WTFFFFF

9. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Linux mint and lubuntu would be my first picks. But I see the latter is already out. :-\

Something I don't hear much about is android-x86. It basically is its name: android on a pc (they're mostly aiming at old EEE-laptops). I'll be honest: I tried it on old IBM touchscreen pc/monitor combo's we have lying around at work and it had a major bug (the input was exactly mirrored, with no way to get it correctly). But using a mouse, it was surprisingly fine. At the very least, it's worth trying on a bootable USB-stick.

10. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    I'd also recommend Mint. Either XFCE or MATE will work fine. MATE's interface is a bit nicer but (out of the box) has troubles with things like caffeine.

11. Touko White

Touko White Scarlet's Clone

Jan 12, 2016
    United Kingdom
    England
    What are your computer specs?
    I would recommend a distro using XFCE it looks quite pretty and also is rather lightweight.

12. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    If you are going to put Arch on it, Manjaro is your best bet.
    I also suggest Lubuntu, Bodhi, Linux Mint XFCE, and Peppermint OS.

13. BORTZ
    OP

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Mint, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubuntu cant see the Broadcom wireless card.

14. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
  15. KashiToxicBlood

KashiToxicBlood how2hakpls

Banned
    Jan 30, 2015
    United States
    same place as Huntereb
    gnewsense

16. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Ubuntu is also Debian based. Broadcom can be a pain in the ass, but if it works on other distros there is definitely a way to get it working on Ubuntu too. Worst case scenario you can always use ndiswrapper with the Windows driver.

17. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    Nobody wants to be the one to recommend gentoo? :)

18. KashiToxicBlood

Banned
    Jan 30, 2015
    United States
    same place as Huntereb
    Gentoo GNU + Linux has some nonfree binary blobs in the source code and in releases which is completely proprietary software and should not be endorsed, choose an ethical distro like gnewsense trisquel or xututo. a distro that respects your freedom, I run gnewsense a free BIOS with free hardware designs and free firmware and drivers

19. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    While you're at it, you should use an OpenRisc processor.

20. KashiToxicBlood

Banned
    Jan 30, 2015
    United States
    same place as Huntereb
    I use a free Intel i5 chip that is ran off of free software, a proud member of the Free Software Foundation and a proud user of free software and developing useful free software alternatives to the proprietary ones, im currently trying to make an activinspire free replacement licensed under GPLv3 and after that i wanna make a dissasembler that is as robust as IDA with help of others if needed