PS1/2 Best DVD-R to use for PS2

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have about 500+ games on discs. they're like 10+ years old too. most of them work, but others have issues. one in particular is mega man anniversary collection. it skips heavily on the opening (real disc plays fine). at first, this was only happening to burns from imgburn (alcohol 120% and windows yielded perfect results). however, now it's skipping at the same spot with those discs. reburning them makes no difference. this is the only game that seems to be a problem. I've been using verbatim dvd-r for these dvds. I've also tried other disc brands. it doesn't seem to matter.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks. I don't want to softmod my system, because then I'd have to rip a lot of discs. I'm content with only using dvds and cds. I just found it odd that it would skip on the same part with burned media. then, no skip with the legit disc. why wasn't it skipping with alcohol 120% and windows burned discs before, but now it's suddenly skipping where imgburn-burned discs would skip.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't believe so. I ended up buying the game. it works without issue. I know that the ps2 seems to struggle with burned media, so maybe that's the problem? I did make a new disc image and hex compared them. they were identical.

YOUCANTSTOPME

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
From my experience, the PS2 is not too picky about burned media. As long as you aren't using bottom of the barrel media, it should read fine. Also, clean the laser.

How big is the ISO? Is it meant to fit on a CD or DVD?

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From experience, stick with DVD+R, and even though a modchip wouldn't require this, in the burning program, you can set the book type on +R/W media to be set to DVD-ROM, which at least for me has resulted in less headaches.

But yeah, if at all possible, use an HDD/SSD in the PS2; those optical drives on PS2's are notoriously horrible in said experience.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did have issues with mega man x3 constantly being recognized as a music disc. that was on my old ps2 with matrix infinity. this new one, or the one that I'm trying, is using a clone of matrix infinity. I rarely have problems with mega man x3 on it (playing it right now in fact). what I don't get is that the disc (mega man anniversary collection) was running fine. I might try +R, but it's a bit problematic. if the disc doesn't work any better, I'm out however much I spent on the spindle. I have 10 discs of taiyo yuden that I bought. the problem still occurs. I was thinking about going to best buy, buying a bunch of burnable media, then testing on my system, returning what doesn't work. it's lost less of a headache if it's not online, because then I'd have issues with shipping.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
from what I've heard, taiyo yuden doesn't exist anymore. I think they were sold to cmc. I have no idea on the quality of those discs. verbatim seems to be made by several companies. in fact, some discs will say that the maker of a verbatim disc is taiyo yuden.

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is that so? pardon my lack of keeping in touch with it. a few years back Taiyo yuden was the sure fire way to make sure compatibility was great.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's what I read, yes. I used to use verbatim, taiyo yuden, and tdk. they all worked well. now, I just use verbatim. I have one spindle that has cd-r's in the style of a music album.

Reactions: WD_GASTER2

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the information. That is a shame. not surprising i guess with DVD-R and CD-R media being less common nowadays

p.s. have you tried replacing/recalibrating the laser?

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, I'm thinking it's the media. I know that the ps2 can be stingy. some people seem to have more success with certain brands. verbatim is the absolute king or the most commonly suggested, while other media can be hit or miss.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative