OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
K, gotcha. Story sucks, so, don't expect Final Fantasy. RTS? Real time...
..strategy.
wink.gif

muess

Trophies
XP
Country
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time is about the only really good traditional RPG available at the moment. Luckily, theres a lot of promising titles on the horizon
smile.gif

X-Gamer

GBATemp RPG Master
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time is a good RPG game, especially if you liked its prequel Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga on the GBA. Beside that, there's not much RPGs to play with so far. I haven't played Lost Magic so I can't tell if it's any good or not.
It seems the real RPGs to look out for are Final Fantasy 3 and Children of Mana althought Pokemon Pearl/Diamond might be worth a try as well once they're released.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney might not be an RPG but it's sure one hell of a game. Anyone with a DS should definitely play it at least once. I'm also looking foward to play PW:AA Justice for All which will come out sometime next year.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
I think that the DS RPG situation is kinda dire at the moment. I remember reading IGN at the start of this year and seeing 17 RPGs lined up for release this year and 1st Q 2K7 so lets hope they start coming soon.

Castleavania DoS is a good Action/LightRPG if you have not played it, its lots of fun.

I myself have started to play through Golden Sun 1 and 2 again until something better comes for DS. If you havn't played them on GBA you really should on DS. The two games are amazing and look absolutly gorgeous on the DS Lite.

Last time I beat the first game was like 2002 and the second game (Lost Age) I can't really remember what happend so I'm looking forward to getting to it all over again!

Alternatively, Age Of Empires DS is a great turn based strategy game if you have exhausted Advance Wars DS, and Mario & Luigi is a fun game too, tho I preferred the GBA game.

What I'm noticing more and more are people buying DS kits that have never had a GBA or GBA kit. These guys are the ones who should look through the GBA ROM list as there are some real classics that are better than most current DS games.

isaac17

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've played the most notable GBA RPGs, excluding Final Fantasy IV, as it was released after I sold my old DS, and I don't have my new one yet. Wow, it really looks like Mario & Luigi is the way to go on RPGs... Still need to get into castlevania too. And I'm SO stoked for FF3 and Children of Mana
smile.gif

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
I have to recommend against mario and luigi partners in time

first let me say this.
the GBA mario and luigi super star saga is about a million times better.
partners in time has repetitive areas (basically every area is a dungeon) stupid puzzles, a boring story that I just didnt care for. and its sprite work is some of the worst Ive ever seen from nintendo, especially by todays standards.
partners in time lacks a real overworld, instead you just choose which dungeon to go to through the castle, there is no replay value except for playing through the game again.

if you havent played superstar saga before, I recommend that as the DS's best RPG
I still play it on my DSlite, just wander around its world, go surfing, play the arcade games in the mushroom town.

partners in time is the one game in my collection I truely regret buying, very overrated

tshu

On epic journey, brb.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know why people are so against Partners in Time. Sure, Superstar Saga is the better of the two, but Partners in Time is by no means a bad game. It's still a very fun and entertaining game for the DS.

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
I rarely enjoyed it.. bosses were really stupid.. like it took a second to figure them out, but they just had more health than they shouldve.. its the type of game I kept thinking "GOD if only they did this and this and this!" its a pretty mediocre game..

imo

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You already have my list in a post above but I just saw this on Gametrailers and had to share it, trailer I know but this could signal a return to the sort of RPG I sense most people on this thread desire.
Edit my bad it appears gametrailers mislabeled the game a DS title rather than a GBA one, still looks good though:

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=2822

If I get bored a bit later I will stick some pictures up.

shaoranm

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yah, FFIII would be released soon (in Japan at least...) (I want FFIII
cry.gif
)

Well, I guess it would depend on how much you actually know Japanese (I'm talking about playing Japanese games). But if you only know hira, kana and some kanji, that won't take you far. I've been there (Although pokemon ranger is a bit more understandable since you can read all the characters since it is in Hira and Kana, no Kanji).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: