Gaming Best DS Emulation for Pokemon "Let's Play"

Pyrii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I';m interested in doing a Let's Play for Pokemon White in preperation for White 2 to come out, but as I don't have a dev kit DS Lite, capture can only be done via emulation imo. Dumping the ROM and updating/downloading the save file from the cart isn't the problem.

I've found that NDS emulation seems to be mostly abandonware or unofficial mods to keep them going which have been abandoned. I say seems as I'm making this thread to ask for any advice about emulation. Especially one that uses a Direct3D/OpenGL device for display, that way I can use DXTory direct capture instead of GDI capture (The latter being very intensive and making games stutter/reduce framerate).

So what success have people had emulation the Black/White series of games, and which emulators for DS do people seem to prefer?

I realise my above statement probably isn't accurate but it's my impression from spending the last couple of days looking around. If anyone can prove me wrong, I'd be pleased, so please don't resort to insults to tell me I'm wrong.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Desmume is under active development, mainly in snapshots (they release stable versions rarely).

No$ is old and abandoned and needs hacks and mods to get recent games working... BUT it has lower requirements so you might find it less taxing to record that emulator than Desmume, which has higher requirements (but much higher native compatibility and such).

Pyrii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I did some testing with HeartGold and found No$GBA 2.6 just didn't like it at all. But DeSuMe is having problems with the 3D Display. I ended up doing some research into direct capture from the NDS. But it looks like everyone is holding onto the information in the hopes of making money off it, which kinda sucks.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Just a friendly tip...Pokemon Let's Plays are like watching paint dry. You may be having fun, but your audience certainly won't be.

You may want to play something like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Pokemon Stadium, or Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness (if your computer can support Dolphin on top of whatever capture program you use)

Reactions: 2 people

TeddyPain

Trophies
Waving to black people in the hood in my car.
XP
Country
United States
Just a friendly tip...Pokemon Let's Plays are like watching paint dry. You may be having fun, but your audience certainly won't be.

You may want to play something like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Pokemon Stadium, or Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness (if your computer can support Dolphin on top of whatever capture program you use)
It all depends on the commentator, really.

Pyrii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I tend to stream my play anyways, plus editing helps remove the boring grindy parts.

DXtory is good because I can stream and record at the same time. But it's £30 to buy, little more expensive than FRAPS. The problem still is being able to hook DXtory into it though.

TheDreamLord

Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
Pretty sure DxTory is cheaper, and better, but I could be wrong. I have my own let's play and this is what DxTory got me for one video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uza5ol_QKMY&feature=plcp
Quality i s good as you can see, and it's highly configurable.

Pyrii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
DXTory blows FRAPS out of the water, that's for sure. I got DXTory detecting DeSuMe, but only the x86 version. ANd it seems that DeSuMe creates a 1536x1536 surface for openGL rather than the native 256x384 DS resolution, this could explain some of the slowness of the emulation, and rendering bugs with 3D.

Cropping it isn't too hard though and you can then record 256x384@60fps video losslessly with ease. :3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...