PS1/2 Best brand and speed for burning DVD backups

Okami Wolfen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hear that using crappy brands can damage the PS2 laser, so I was wondering what the best brand out there is. I hear good things about Verbatim, and the FAQ says to burn at 2.4x speed, but I wanna know your thoughts.

Sao Mortel

Trophies
Website
shoptemp.com
XP
Country
Canada
Your laser will wear out someday. The less you use it the longer it will last...

Then again to answer your question; none are better since same and different brands can come from same and different manufacturers. Stick with any well known brand exept for memorex (they have a very bad reputation). I think you also should go for DVD-R. Also, the lower speed you will burn the better it will be but I always burn at 8X without any problems whatsoever.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yay again. Burning slow was good 5 years ago, at the time when burning 4x was fast as hell and at least 50% of the DVD-Rs didn't make it. Now the burners and media are made for high speed burning, and result in bad quality if you burn slow. And if you wouldn't believe me, you could burn at least at 4x.

Also 2.4x is a DVD+R only speed, if you get good results with a DVD-R with that, then the quality of your media is really awesome, because it shouldn't work out well.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I've burnt discs at 6x and they always wok better than ones burnt at 8x as for I tested.

Sony was OK, TDK was excellent, not best, but works better than any real crap DVD brand.

Also, Fat PS2 won't read DVD+R, but new slims will, as I read on teh wikiped, but DVD-R still holds best results.

D

Deleted-247497

yeah people say SLOWER IS BETTER but you should really never burn under 6x, it always messes up for me, i know for wii when i used to use burned discs tdk worked fine (dvd-r) i dont know bout playstation though, but should probably work

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I assume those ps2s that "can't read DVD+Rs" just want the booktype of DVD+Rs set to dvd-rom when burning, that's it. On Wii you need to do the same, and i can't imagine any disadvantage of bitsetting DVD+Rs to dvd-rom. =>I recommend to bitset DVD+Rs to dvd-rom when burning in general.

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thats weird. i would always have problem with any burned games on my ps2 that were burned at anything more than 4x. i would always experience slowdowns/skips, and went away with a burn at 2x or 4x (all of them verified at 100%, too).

also, i do not trust any other brand than verbatim. they have been so good to me

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
You should go by the media id when choosing good quality dvds. Brand name isn't always the best way to choose as they can change suppliers.
A program like Imgburn will list the media id when you insert a dvd-r into your burner. The site below has a good list of media ids and lists their quality.
Here

Burning at the speed the dvd-r is rated for generally gets the best quality burn.

jinnpan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always use Taiyo Yuden Made in JAPAN brand. I get the from RIMA.COM. If you get this brand make sure they are real Taiyo Yuden, some shops sell fake/counterfeit Taiyo Yuden Media.

I have several backups that are 8 years old and work great on my 1 day one launch PS2 system.

Just make sure you update the burners firmware.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
jinnpan said:
I always use Taiyo Yuden Made in JAPAN brand. I get the from RIMA.COM. If you get this brand make sure they are real Taiyo Yuden, some shops sell fake/counterfeit Taiyo Yuden Media.

I have several backups that are 8 years old and work great on my 1 day one launch PS2 system.

Taiyo Yudens are hard to find in europe, and even if you did it would be so much money $63 for a pack of 100, no joke!, the only good alternatives left is verbatim and sonys

MFDC12 said:
thats weird. i would always have problem with any burned games on my ps2 that were burned at anything more than 4x. i would always experience slowdowns/skips, and went away with a burn at 2x or 4x (all of them verified at 100%, too).

also, i do not trust any other brand than verbatim. they have been so good to me

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jalaneme said:
jinnpan said:

Taiyo Yudens are hard to find in europe, and even if you did it would be so much money $63 for a pack of 100, no joke!, the only good alternatives left is verbatim and sonys

QUOTE(MFDC12 @ Aug 7 2010, 12:25 AM) thats weird. i would always have problem with any burned games on my ps2 that were burned at anything more than 4x. i would always experience slowdowns/skips, and went away with a burn at 2x or 4x (all of them verified at 100%, too).

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
verbatim and sony
Ive had no problem with either on my v10 ps2
I use DVD+R

as for burning speed, I always do 2.4x and do a data check after to make sure no burning problems occurred

you can ususally find sony or verbatim discs on sale at bestbuy ever week or so for 50pk for $12 or 100pk for $22

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
jalaneme said:
jinnpan said:

You're getting ripped off if you're paying that much for them. 100 x8 can be had for as little as £15 and x16 can be gotten for £23 ($24 & $36), that's just plain unbranded stuff. If you don't mind it being branded, you can get JVC x16 (taiyo yudens) for £18 for a pack of 100.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Armadillo said:
jalaneme said:
jinnpan said:

You're getting ripped off if you're paying that much for them. 100 x8 can be had for as little as £15 and x16 can be gotten for £23 ($24 & $36), that's just plain unbranded stuff. If you don't mind it being branded, you can get JVC x16 (taiyo yudens) for £18 for a pack of 100.

where the hell do you shop? £15 for a pack of 100?

jinnpan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
also, about TY discs, sometimes verbatims are rebranded ty's
smile.gif

TY are rebranded to verbatims

If you buy a pack of DVD-R and it has a MADE IN JAPAN 99% are Taiyo Yuden.

Buy JVC/TY DVD-R since there a some stores that sell fake/counterfeit TY media.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0LPrmtVWsA