Before I buy a PSP

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Keichi, Feb 14, 2008.

Feb 14, 2008

Before I buy a PSP by Keichi at 8:07 PM (1,315 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Keichi
    OP

Newcomer Keichi Newbie

United States
    Okay so with the coming of Crisis Core in a few weeks I think it's time I finally purchase a PSP. Problem is I want customize/mod/hack my psp so it can play ps1 games and watch movies and all that. So do I just randomly go to a gamestop, buy a psp and then configure it or do I have to buy a certain psp?

I know this is possible because I've seen videos and also my brother had a hacked psp before. The only thing I remember him telling me is that I need a ver. 1.5 or something and he also told me that the new psp's can't be hacked/modded. So any help would be appreciated. I know I'm probably stupid for posting this up but I am totally new to this and I just want to get my money's worth. [​IMG]

2. martin88

Member martin88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    As of now, any PSP can be hacked (install custom firmware) by using the Pandora's battery.

3. ben_r_

Member ben_r_ GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Try doing a little searching around here first before posting... The only PSP you can buy new now is a slim and believe me you are about the 5000th person to come here brand new looking to mod their whatever asking the same questions that have already been beaten to death.

4. TaMs

Member TaMs Randomizer

Finland
    New psp's are "hackable". You just homebrew enabled psp to make battery called "pandora's battery" which allows you to install cfw on it.
    With older psp's you most likely don't need it, because there's other ways to downgrade it.
    Also the new slim & lite psp can't even go back to 1.5FW because it doesn't have 1.5 kernel.
    http://forums.qj.net/f-psp-hacks-9/t-guide...uide-90916.html
    There's a pretty good guide for starters. etc.

5. BakuFunn

Member BakuFunn Flameproof.

United States
    use this
    A very nice tutorial to downgrade the psp. Method 2 really does work
    (the one with cutting 19 then using a pencil to color it.)

6. Keichi
    OP

Newcomer Keichi Newbie

United States
    Thanks for the replies and the links chaps. I will be reading them intensely until I purchase my psp in a few weeks. [​IMG]

7. joe_gamer

Member joe_gamer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Just follow the guide BakuFunn post above. Thats what I used, it's simple!

Oh yeah, if you don't want to mod your own battery, you can buy the Datel Tool Battery, it's ready to go. Get the 'fat' one so you can use it on a 'fat' or 'slim'.