Been playing GameCube games

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've come to the realization that when it comes to Pikmin, I hate the day thing. I don't mean the whole time of day thing, I mean the 30 day thing. I don't like it. But there are a few annoyances I keep running into with the game.

1. When I throw pikmin at an enemy, some of them will attack. I throw more and some just land right beside the enemy and don't do anything.

2. Jumping enemies like the frogs are annoying as shit. They kill waaaay too many pikmin while taking so much damage.

3. I hate when I'm trying to rush through a level to get caught up or get ahead, some of my pikmin will stop and start attacking a weed or something which forces me to go back and get them.

4. Why is that when I'm walking across a bridged area surrounded by water (I don't mean the actual bridges the Pikmin build), I can't bring them all with me, instead I have to take them in groups? Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I don't know, but if I try to take all of them, everyone but the blue ones will fall into the water. Even when I try using the C-Stick to put them behind me, they still spread out so much that some are still bound to fall in.

5. When some of my pikmin get knocked on the ground and they lay there, and I whistle at them, they should come right away so they don't get hit. But they don't, it takes like 2 seconds for them to react, which lets the enemy kill them anyways.

I want to enjoy the game, I want to love it. It's so cute and charming, but these things are the reasons why it's preventing it from being on my "MUST GET IF YOU HAVE GAMECUBE!" list. Does Pikmin 2 do any better???
I recently started playing Pikmin as well. I felt the game really makes you micromanage way too much in way too short a time period.
It wasn't as amazing as I thought it would be. It was fun, but the time limits ruined it from being perfect.

Have you tried out the Resident Evil Zero, Sonic Adventure games, and the Pokemon Colosseum games?
Actually if you like horror games, I suggest hunting down a copy of Eternal Darkness, it's weird, but great game. It has a slow start, but once you start getting into it, it's a fun game.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I recently started playing Pikmin as well. I felt the game really makes you micromanage way too much in way too short a time period.
It wasn't as amazing as I thought it would be. It was fun, but the time limits ruined it from being perfect.

Have you tried out the Resident Evil Zero, Sonic Adventure games, and the Pokemon Colosseum games?
Actually if you like horror games, I suggest hunting down a copy of Eternal Darkness, it's weird, but great game. It has a slow start, but once you start getting into it, it's a fun game.

I want to try Eternal Darkness, and no I haven't tried Resident Evil on it, only RE4 back when the GameCube was still being sold. I think I tried Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast and some other port I believe. And I haven't tried Colosseum.

Basically the only games I tried and played on the GameCube are:

Pikmin
Luigi's Mansion
Mario Sunshine
Wind Waker
Resident Evil 4
Smash Bros. Melee
Metroid Prime 1 and 2.

Deleted member 318366

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to try Eternal Darkness, and no I haven't tried Resident Evil on it, only RE4 back when the GameCube was still being sold. I think I tried Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast and some other port I believe. And I haven't tried Colosseum.

Pikmin
Luigi's Mansion
Mario Sunshine
Wind Waker
Resident Evil 4
Smash Bros. Melee
Metroid Prime 1 and 2.

Have you played twilight princess on the gamecube yet? Its fun. :D

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Pikmin
Luigi's Mansion
Mario Sunshine
Wind Waker
Resident Evil 4
Smash Bros. Melee
Metroid Prime 1 and 2.
I also suggest trying out Sonic Heroes, that's one of my personal favorite 3D Sonic games. The only thing missing from is is the Chao Garden, which makes me sad.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I think I'm going to pass on completing Pikmin. I have 15 parts and 13 days to go, but the reasons I listed are the reasons why I'm going to stop.

Maybe if the time thing wasn't in place I'd complete it. I will try Pikmin 2 though. Hopefully it's better. But for now, I don't even want to play Pikmin 1 anymore. I just don't think it's the fun game that everybody claims it is.

Also, just to be sure about GameCube games, I went to EBGames today to buy Adventure time and I asked if they had any GameCube games in the back or whatever, because they have tons of old DS games and PS2 games still. And the guy said no. So.. shit.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You know, I played most noteworthy GC games back in the day on the real hardware ( I've been a die hard Nintendo fan since 1986, so I played them all in their prime ! ) , and I also have an hard chipped Wii that can read and play flawlessly GC backups,but recently I discovered that my laptop can handle Dolphin pretty well actually....

So, I'm playing around with Dolphin and start ' easy ' by trying some Wiiware titles, and most of them work smootly at 100% speed in 720p or 1080p ......wow.....what a great way to try out a wiiware title before messing around with wad installers on the wii itself, it saves a lot of time and I can use my xbox360 controller instead of the CC pro (again, I'm a die hard nintendo fan , but I like the 360 controller better ;) ) !!
Then I realized, unless a title is heavily based on motion controls ( I can still pair my real wii remote but i'm too lazy for that ) , why even bother to install it on the real Wii, when I can have access to it with a couple of mouse clicks and basically play a superior version of it ( with save states, HD graphics, 360 controller ) ?

Next I try Wii games ( I just unplugged my external HDD from the Wii and connected it to the PC and bahm ! Again all the games at a mouse click away ! ) and to my surprise , most work just fine a full/near full speed in HD !
Another + for Dolphin...

But then, I remembered that I never actually played Zelda TP on the GC back in the day because I got it as a launch title for the Wii and beat it within a couple of weeks with crappy ( I realized that now, but at the time it was awesome! ) motion controls, a fake wide screen and a flipped over world map !
So I tried it, and it looks stunningly beautiful and plays infinitely better the way I finally customized the controls to my liking !

So back to the GC , I tried Zelda and a few other games that either I didn't play or didn't finish, and now I'm hooked up on GC games all over again !
I must say, I needed some good reason to replay those games, and now HD graphics and 360 controller make for a sweet deal for me.

So , regardless of the platform, GC games rock !
I'm also playing Luigi's mansion and I find it really good, don't know why I skipped this title initially......

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might look into the Megaman X collection if you like 2D Megaman....

I would send you to a site that lists all the GC games ever made but that would violate like 3 rules... lol

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
It's a love/hate type of game but you should consider getting F-Zero GX.
Takes a while to learn how to play, especially if you want to learn more advanced stuff, but damn is it rewarding, controls just can't get any better than that in a racing game.
At least get it just for the main cups if the chapters get too frustrating. Great speed, tracks and features like machine customization with parts and custom paint jobs.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Takes a while to learn how to play, especially if you want to learn more advanced stuff, but damn is it rewarding, controls just can't get any better than that in a racing game.
At least get it just for the main cups if the chapters get too frustrating. Great speed, tracks and features like machine customization with parts and custom paint jobs.

Great game, one of my favorites of all times, and it still looks beautiful an it supports progressive and wide screen too !
I was pretty good at it.....
However, I tried really hard to master all those advanced techniques to beat the toughest challenge, but I failed miserably :(
I just can't believe how deep of a racing experience it is, I could go back to it after years and still discover new stuff....!

Reactions: Eerpow

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You might look into the Megaman X collection if you like 2D Megaman....

I would send you to a site that lists all the GC games ever made but that would violate like 3 rules... lol

Don't like Megaman.

I wish I could find it. I love F-Zero.

Deleted member 318366

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually i think theres 3 f-zero games for the gba, theres f-zero GP Legend, f-zero maximum velocity and the third last but not least f-zero climax (Japan version only) ;) that last one is my personal favorite. :lol:

P

pasc

I love Metroid Prime. My friend has that, so I might borrow that after. And he doesn't have viewtiful joe. Sadly only one of my friends has a GC, and that is him. He also doesn't have the best game collection. So after this, I guess I'm gonna have to maybe hack the GC so I can still play games.

Haha Metroid Prime.
Got through the first and now lost motivation in the second right after beating that m****rf***ing Boost Guardian.

However I gotta finsih it. Wanna see that Rundas Guy in MP3.

Good luck.

EDIT: Talking about F-Zero... where is our 3DS game anyways ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQO7neBmy0&pp=ygUXU2hvd2VyIHNjZW5lIEhhbGYgYmFrZWQ%3D