Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by ltra1n, Jan 20, 2014.
The threads don't have any concise information and it's all really confusing. What's going on?
The short version:
4-5 respected people of the scene discovered there is a code in the latest GW 2.02b that can brick your 3ds and cause a blue screen.
Apparently GW wanted to kill the clone users. Many clone users have been affected, including people using the region patch.
Unfortunately this is causing bricks for legit Gateway users too. For now I think there have been 6-7 reported cases. Which is much if you think about for how long the latest version exists.
If you want to be safe dont use the latest launcher.dat but the one before 2.02b. Otherwise its possible a brick can occur randomly, even if your 3DS is just in sleep mode. Best version is probably 1.2 since the 2.01 is a bit buggy.
Thats about it I think. GW didnt admit anything so I'm hoping in the 2.0 Final they remove this brick code..
Gateway included some code in their launcher that bricks the 3DS in a way that's VERY hard to repair if the launcher is modified. Clone card users got bricked, but the code is probably slightly bugged or something and some real Gateway users are getting bricked too. Meanwhile Gateway refuses to comment on the existence of said code. I think that's the main facts.
Gateway added bricking code to their firmware, knowing that clone cards would rebrand their new release for their card, to kill clone users 3ds's after a certian date.
Date hit, clone users start getting their 3DS's bricked. The brick blanks one of the controller chips, preventing a nand flash from repairing the console.
Various scene progamers find code in gateways launcher that appears to be designed to randomly brick the console if it fails a checksum - Essentially, if the software is modified then you have a chance of getting bricked
Gateway denies this, says that it's because the clones are just shoddy peices of junk.
Gateway users start getting bricked.
Gateway says no legitimate users will get bricked, saying that the reports of such users getting bricked is just disinfo passed on by the chinese mafia/clone makers.
Gateway offers to repair/replace bricked gateways that were harmed by their anti-copying feature, but reliterates that only clone users are affected. They require the bricked 3DS to be shipped to them, and if they decide to say that you used a clone and thats why you got bricked you'd have to pay them 100 to get the 3DS back.
Another statement that clones (The r4 series and MT-Card) can cause bricks, and that if you switch over to their card you will be 100% safe
And this morning, Devin gets hit by the brick (Important because he reviewed the card, so his claims can't be dismissed as "disinfo from the chinese mafia"
No matter how many times I see this posted here it still makes me laugh. Its just ridiculous.
1) Tons of clone users got bricked for using poorly copy-pasted GW firmware. Users of the poorly modified "Region free patch" by Normmatt get hit too.
2) Random script-kiddies, I mean, respectable scene hackers responsible for engineering the Large Hadron Collider (or at least that's how some people here see them) posted a random link to a random german site with a random pseudo-code about gateway bricking consoles at a random date if tons of checksums and sanity checks are disabled by script-kiddies.
3) R4i hides in a dark corner and releases an all new 3.3b firmware that's actually just another poorly copy-pasted version of GW FW 1.2. They also decide to give bricked 3DS users the middle finger. Normatt does the same.
4) GW laughs at clones and clone-users, claiming their (clone) firmware is an unstable mess, but that original GW firmware is 100% safe. They also offer a very generous warranty in case something bad actually happens to your 3DS.
5) Everything backfires when GW users start getting hit by original GW firmware (according to around ~7 people reports). Everyone wants to burn GW alive by typing words on their keyboard but they enter a state of shock and panic when they discover it just won't work. GW acts like nothing happens.
6) No profit, sadly.
They released a new version tho
2.0b2 is actually not safe and has a bigger chance of bricking. It's better to stick with older versions. There's a lot of threads about the bricking issue
Shesh... when i finally decided to buy a gateway... gotta wait a little more i guess...
Thanks for the first link didnt read this one yet
No problem, just be careful! Hopefully, there will be a statement or announcement that clears up the confusion
This is all really dramatic. I've stayed on 2.0 because there's still no multirom support which is really all I care for. My r4i is doing just fine too.
If any of that's true though, fuck Gateway. They don't get to punish consumers for using an alternative cheaper product.
If General Mills poisons me because I bought store brand cereal that's not okay. The only people Gateway are hurting is the community.
If your after multirom support, look into getting a MT card when it's released.
I'm in an annoying dilemma. My copy of pokemon X arrived today, but I don't want to upgrade my 3ds past v4.5 OR launch 2.02b
I will be playing dwarf fortress on my PC until this all settles down.