Hacking Bayonetta Save Hex Edits

Ailuros27

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe I may have made some progress on hex editing Bayonetta saves. Why? Just because I'm curious, and it's a multi-platform title with editors for the other platforms.

On a hunch, I looked at the offsets in a PS3 save patch for use with Bruteforce Save Data in my save dumped from my Wii U using saviine. All the offsets appear to check out, and everthing appears to be laid out exactly the same as it would be in a USA version of Bayonetta for PS3. At least, as far as I can tell.

I would edit the Wii U one to test this theory, but the patch file for the PS3 version mentions something about fixing checksums, which BSD can do automatically. Checksum stuff is above my head, so I was wondering if someone was interested in what I've found and wanted to take a look. I don't necessarily need a save editor for Bayonetta, but I would love to find out whether or not I'm correct. So I'll leave my save and the patch file (which is basically just a text file that describes offsets and such) here in case anyone finds it interesting.

Attachments

• Bayonetta.zip
    3.1 KB · Views: 812
Reactions: Gadorach

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I applied the codes to data00 and ran the game and it all worked fine. Sure, if you were going to be handling the game properly and doing the re-xoring of the saves, you could do any save, but the autosave is fine for someone lazy like me haha
I'll look into building a tool to do it automatically later, sleeping tonight for once.

Reactions: Ailuros27

Gadorach

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For Bayonetta 2, same deal. Only autosave exists, so it's the save0000.sav file. No need to correct hash, there's no check for some reason. Values are as follows, though I didn't check what they correspond to exactly, just that they correspond to some item in your inventory.

Halos: 0xA3B0 = 05 F5 E0 FF

Randoms:

0xA3D6 = 27 0F
0xA3DE = 27 0F
0xA3E2 = 27 0F
0xA3E6 = 27 0F
0xA3EA = 27 0F
0xA3EE = 27 0F
0xA3F2 = 27 0F
0xA3F6 = 27 0F
0xA3FA = 27 0F
0xA3FE = 27 0F
0xA402 = 27 0F
0xA406 = 27 0F
0xA40A = 27 0F
0xA40E = 27 0F
0xA412 = 27 0F
0xA416 = 27 0F
0xA41A = 27 0F
0xA41E = 27 0F
0xA422 = 27 0F
0xA426 = 27 0F

Could be more, should be allocated in the same way as that pattern. Just move 2 bytes each time from the end of the last value, fill in the next 2 bytes with 270F, check save, repeat.

Anyway, enjoy. I know these values don't break the game anyway, as I currently have a stuffed inventory.

Last edited by Gadorach,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

Gadorach

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright, made a simple save editor for Bayonetta 1. (autosave only, no hash correction)
I tested it pretty thoroughly, but if there's any problems just let me know. There's only a couple buttons, and I added a simple save verifier to check if the save is valid before you can edit it.

I'll see about making it more expansive later, had to relearn C# to do it, and manually learn the almost completely undocumented PackageIO library.
Anyway, Windows only and all that, not going to port, I'll release the source when I get the chance to clean it up.

Attachments

• Bayonetta_WiiU_SE.zip
    503.5 KB · Views: 392

Gadorach

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd refrain from double-posting, but I'd prefer this to be in it's own reply.

This is a largely untested save editor for Bayonetta 2. I don't even know which values are for what yet. All I know is it works, if you feel like trying it out. Easy to not have problems with though, just backup your save before you use it.

I only had my save to use for the testing though, so I don't know if the verifier will pass or fail on other saves. Definitely give me feedback on that, and include your save file.
I should probably note that all of my editors are for the NA versions of the games, so no idea if it works on other regions.

Same as last time, no guarantees though. Only Windows, not porting, etc.

Enjoy!

Edit: Realized I forgot to embed the dlls in the old versions. I fixed them and rebuilt/reuploaded the editors with the proper libraries, embedded and all that, in case anyone grabbed them earlier and they didn't work.

Edit 2: If you can't see any download, let me know as well, as I don't remember if the mods need to authorize it or not anymore. If you can't see them, I need to know so I can ask a moderator to unlock them.

Edit 3: Here's a link to both of them for now, just in case: http://www.mediafire.com/download/lfhvq214nya3qx6/Bayonetta1+2_Fixed.zip

Edit 4: New Thread with updated trainers here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/compilation-wii-u-save-editors.418794/

Attachments

• Bayonetta2_WiiU_SE.zip
    503.2 KB · Views: 405
Last edited by Gadorach,

ToxiKutie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate to revive a thread unnecessarily, but did anyone else do any more investigation into Bayonetta 2's save files? I kinda want to know where the equipped weapon is stored in the save so i can change it. A.K.A. Give Rosa Love Is Blue and Bayonetta Unforgiven

probablygay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to bump this thread, but it seems like the best alternative to making my own thread. I'm trying to edit save data on PC for Bayonetta 1. Can anyone explain how to correct the save data hash? The PC version of the game seems to have a check on the Autosave, as I cannot seem to edit it without getting corrupt data (Edited the Halos simply because I know where the offset is). I can, however, use a 100% save I've downloaded from the internet... I'm very confused. What do I need to do to make an edited save file simply work? What am I missing? It seems very straight forward.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvojgRvNriw