battery life question

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by Lunchbox7985, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Lunchbox7985
    OP

Lunchbox7985 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2016
    United States
    so my dstwo will periodically freeze, system says no cart when i restart. i physically modded the cart, did the paper trick, yada yada

ive only had the system a couple days, so this theory needs more testing, but it seems that it works fine with a fresh charge on the battery. (i think the cart still needed modified for better contact) but it doesnt seem to mess up until ive been playing it for between 1 or 2 hours.

is it possible my battery is old and causing the dstwo to freeze? at first the light would go red while turning it on, then go back to green. if i launched a ds game it would stay green, but a gba or snes game would usually make it go red again. it lasted about an hour after it went red. all of these lead me to think the battery might be shot. i cant get anything in the tiny tiny crack to test the voltage under load, but the battery did charge up to 3.8 volts.

also i need to know what to expect out of the battery. this seems to be a question with a wide array of answers, but i feel like i should be getting more than 2 hours before it starts freezing (assuming that is a thing)

when i thought it was a contact issue, i would jack with it and get it working again, and total, i got about 4 hours or so out of it (with much freezing) and a couple places said to expect about 4 hours with a dstwo. so my battery may be fine, but i still have contact issues.

like i said, i need more research on the matter. if i can consistently get it to work fine for the first hour or so after pulling it off the charger ill lean more toward the battery. but im only on my third charge, so it may be coincidence.

so TLDR
    does your dstwo start to freeze when the battery gets low.
    how long does your dslite last with your dstwo.
    and if i determine i do need a battery, has anyone any experience with this

https://www.amazon.com/Cameron-Sino...&sr=8-4&keywords=cameron+sino+ds+lite+battery

i can get a Rayovac replacment from a local store, Batteries Plus Bulbs, for $13, but the above, while an offbrand, seems like it may be legitimately 1800mah

Last edited by Lunchbox7985, Aug 22, 2016
  2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    High power devices, shorts and such causing failure when batteries get low but not when they are more charged is an option. Simple test though is leave the thing plugged into the charger while you are playing, hopefully you have a lead charger rather than cradle but you could also just try playing a film or something in the cradle.
    Nobody has really made that connection before though and I am more likely to point the finger at the DStwo either overheating or having a bad joint made apparent by the heat. That onboard CPU does get warm.

3. Lunchbox7985
    OP

Lunchbox7985 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2016
    United States
    well i played it in the morning for 10 or 20 minutes. it did freeze once. played it in my car while waiting on someone for about 30 minutes with it plugged in with no problems. then once they picked me up i played it in their car for about an hour and a half plugged in with no problems.

im assuming even under perfect circumstances most people experience the occasional freeze?

i think its safe to say that my battery might be the main culprit here. i should have something at work that i can get into the contacts to measure the voltage under load to get a better idea, and i work tomorrow.

now the only question is do i get the nintendo one for about $20, the rayovac one for about $10, or the extended one on amazon for about $13, that may or may not be legitimately 1800mah , and sticks out of the back about a quarter inch.

4. Lunchbox7985
    OP

Lunchbox7985 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2016
    United States
    i just found this website that was very informative about the battery,

http://tim.cexx.org/?p=345

going to copy it in the spoiler incase he ever takaes the site down

lots of text

5. Lunchbox7985
    OP

Lunchbox7985 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2016
    United States
    broke down and bought a new battery at Batteries plus, $12, seems to have done the trick