Hacking Baka & Test Portable - English Translation Project

Arvee100smart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
EDIT: I did forget to mention though, that, since this project will be going for an official-looking product, some character dialog has been/will be changed to match what was in/would be expected of the official English dub, for the sake of understanding. For example, Tetsujin will be called Ironman, Miharu Shimizu will refer to Minami Shimada using cute pet names (e.g. snuggle-bunny, cuddle-muffin, etc.) as opposed to using Onee-sama. I apologize to any japanophiles fans who would've preferred the raw translation, but it is a decision that I shall not go back on. (Also because honorifics and stuff take up too much line space)

\o/
I liked the Onee-sama though. Miharu's voice in the game will be like "onee-sama" but the dialogue isn't. Haha.
But meh, I don't mind. I wish others too :O

As long as Baka to Test Game Patch will be released soon, yeah. =3=/

Greenjoepie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So i have been following this post since like i think end august now and i'm really looking forward to the completion of this patch.
... I just felt like showing my face here.

Reactions: Deleted User

D9sinc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm always glad to see someone who's looking forward to this. At the moment, I currently have no plans to release any patches until the translation is complete.

Unfortunately, when I previously released a partial patch for another project of mine, an older version of the patch was widely distributed despite me making many important updates and fixes. It was kind of disappointing knowing that so many people wouldn't even know of the work I put in to release a more complete product.

That said, I understand what you mean; I've looked forward to quite a number of other projects that died after so much progress was made, but never released any of their work. As such, I've decided that if, for any reason, I am no longer able to work on this project in the future, I will release all of the work done up to that point to anybody seriously willing to continue the project and see it through to completion. But, let's hope it doesn't have to come to that.

I apologize for the lack of updates, but Tamekichi has been busy with real life, so there's not too much new progress on the translation side. I myself have been pretty busy with school and other obligations, so I haven't been able to commit much time to the project this past month or so. Hopefully, I'll be able to work more on the project after exams are over in May, and we shall see updates then.

Hey as far as i'm concerned whenever you guys can update and continue work that's 100% fine with me. I never thought about that whole people ignoring your newer work if you have a patch already out and i'm grateful that you have it set up so that even if you and your team can no longer work on this there will be a patch out so that people can enjoy what they can from the game.

Thank you very much for your response :)

Lyle Quesada

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, so I am new to this manga/anime and have just recently stumbled upon this project. You guys do an awesome job for doing this for people like us who want to enjoy this game in English. I personally do not know how much trouble you are going through for this project, but I'm truly happy for people like you who do these kind of stuff. I'm really looking forward to its completion and I'll be extremely glad once it will be released. More power to you guys and to those who are helping!

:bow:

Reactions: Hargrun

FuryTomic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome! I'd been worried about this issue for quite a while, but this is leaps and bounds above what I could've imagined possible. Truly, we must celebrate by praising Lord CompCom for his wonderful contributions to this project.

In all seriousness, though, I think that this image captures the progress that this project has made, and none of it would be possible without the help I've received from CompCom, Tamekichi, and all the other members who have helped since the project was first conceived. I'm going to keep on working hard to make sure that this project eventually gets to see a full release.

On a somewhat related note, I as the opinion of you all:
In the image in CompCom's post, Akihisa's name is written 吉井 明久 with his name written in Roman characters below. Should I keep it as-is, or change it to be closer to this mockup I posted earlier in the thread, with the Japanese removed?
akihisa_desc_mockup_zps6e7670f2.png

Let me know what you all think!

Any updates % wise? Its been 2 months

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I apologize for the lack of updates as of late. Real life has gotten a lot more complicated, and finding time to work on this project has really been a struggle. Strange as it may seem, however, I will have more free time once school starts back up, so expect some kind of update around then.

On another note, we still need translators! NiM1233 joined the project, but Tamekichi seems to have gone missing in action, likely due to real-life obligations. Unfortunately, this is a project that requires more help than we currently have to be efficient, so if anybody knows someone that can help, point them this direction, so that we could aim to get this thing out as soon as possible.

Thank you for bearing with the slow pace of this project; again, I'll have more free time to work on this project once school starts back up again, so bear with me just a little while longer. I'm really looking forward to being able to work on this and my other projects again, and I, like many of you, can't wait to see the final product.

FuryTomic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I apologize for the lack of updates as of late. Real life has gotten a lot more complicated, and finding time to work on this project has really been a struggle. Strange as it may seem, however, I will have more free time once school starts back up, so expect some kind of update around then.

On another note, we still need translators! NiM1233 joined the project, but Tamekichi seems to have gone missing in action, likely due to real-life obligations. Unfortunately, this is a project that requires more help than we currently have to be efficient, so if anybody knows someone that can help, point them this direction, so that we could aim to get this thing out as soon as possible.

Thank you for bearing with the slow pace of this project; again, I'll have more free time to work on this project once school starts back up again, so bear with me just a little while longer. I'm really looking forward to being able to work on this and my other projects again, and I, like many of you, can't wait to see the final product.

Thanks for the update. When does schoo start up again for you?

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since school recently started, I've had a lot more free time to work on this project. I've dug a bit deeper into the technical side of things, and am happy to announce that I've overcome a few obstacles.

Previously, there had been a couple of graphics which I could not find, as they were not packed away in the same file as the other textures used by the game. Through a bit of creative thinking, and a lot of manual work via hex editor, I found the graphic, translated it, and reinserted it.

Another issue that had previously left me confounded was the the texture containing the list of every Recovery Test did not show up properly in CompCom's image tool. After a bit of experimenting, I found out that the reason why this was was because that particular graphic is a 4bpp image, and its Color LookUp Table is only 16 entries long. Every other graphic that I had to edit (except those in the pr.bin), was an 8bpp image, with a CLUT of 256 entries. To solve this issue, I exported the image via CrystalTile2, and manually reinserted it via hex editor.

I've also been working on documenting the offset, pointer, and pointer offset of every string of text located within the EBOOT.BIN, and have already used some of this data to repoint some translated strings that I have moved to an area of free space in the EBOOT.

Anyway, I apologize for this long, technical-sounding post, but I wanted to give an update as to what's been going on recently, since I haven't given you all much in the way of updates. To make up for it, here are some screenshots of some of the work I've been able to accomplish.

NPJH50680_00033.png NPJH50680_00021.png NPJH50680_00032.png NPJH50680_00039.png

Just as a quick explanation for each:
1) Redid the labels for each space. I realized that I had more room to work with and adjusted the font as such
2) I found the file with the copyright line (along with some other stuff), translated it and reinserted it.
3) Translated the text for the Recovery Test results
4) Extracted, translated, and reinserted the text for the Recovery Test spaces, so you can actually understand what subject and grade level test you're about to take. There are 23 different tests you can take, and I translated and edited all of the graphics over the course of about 3 hours in a single night.

Anyway, look forward to more updates in the future!

EDIT: Here's a few more pictures:
eboot offsets.png NPJH50680_00033.png NPJH50680_00040.png NPJH50680_00041.png NPJH50680_00042.png

Last edited by FShadow,

FuryTomic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since school recently started, I've had a lot more free time to work on this project. I've dug a bit deeper into the technical side of things, and am happy to announce that I've overcome a few obstacles.

Previously, there had been a couple of graphics which I could not find, as they were not packed away in the same file as the other textures used by the game. Through a bit of creative thinking, and a lot of manual work via hex editor, I found the graphic, translated it, and reinserted it.

Another issue that had previously left me confounded was the the texture containing the list of every Recovery Test did not show up properly in CompCom's image tool. After a bit of experimenting, I found out that the reason why this was was because that particular graphic is a 4bpp image, and its Color LookUp Table is only 16 entries long. Every other graphic that I had to edit (except those in the pr.bin), was an 8bpp image, with a CLUT of 256 entries. To solve this issue, I exported the image via CrystalTile2, and manually reinserted it via hex editor.

I've also been working on documenting the offset, pointer, and pointer offset of every string of text located within the EBOOT.BIN, and have already used some of this data to repoint some translated strings that I have moved to an area of free space in the EBOOT.

Anyway, I apologize for this long, technical-sounding post, but I wanted to give an update as to what's been going on recently, since I haven't given you all much in the way of updates. To make up for it, here are some screenshots of some of the work I've been able to accomplish.

View attachment 24940 View attachment 24941 View attachment 24942 View attachment 24943

Just as a quick explanation for each:
1) Redid the labels for each space. I realized that I had more room to work with and adjusted the font as such
2) I found the file with the copyright line (along with some other stuff), translated it and reinserted it.
3) Translated the text for the Recovery Test results
4) Extracted, translated, and reinserted the text for the Recovery Test spaces, so you can actually understand what subject and grade level test you're about to take. There are 23 different tests you can take, and I translated and edited all of the graphics over the course of about 3 hours in a single night.

Anyway, look forward to more updates in the future!

EDIT: Here's a few more pictures:
View attachment 24944 View attachment 24940 View attachment 24946 View attachment 24945 View attachment 24949

Any overall %s?

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, at this point, giving out specific percentages is a bit difficult, since most of the work I've been doing recently has been technical in nature, and there are probably some other technical aspects that will have to be worked out, of which I am currently not aware.

That said, I have, as of today, finished translating the ~200 text strings associated with the board game section of the game. I'm planning on writing a program to help me insert the translated strings and recalculate the pointers. Even though I did it manually for all of the other strings in the EBOOT, doing 200 of them would be EXTREMELY tedious.

So, even though I can't say much, I CAN say that I've translated virtually all of the board game associated text. Though I've yet to insert it, after I do, the game will reach a state where the only Japanese text left would be in Story Mode, and the small dialogue exchanges between characters during the board game sections.

FuryTomic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, at this point, giving out specific percentages is a bit difficult, since most of the work I've been doing recently has been technical in nature, and there are probably some other technical aspects that will have to be worked out, of which I am currently not aware.

That said, I have, as of today, finished translating the ~200 text strings associated with the board game section of the game. I'm planning on writing a program to help me insert the translated strings and recalculate the pointers. Even though I did it manually for all of the other strings in the EBOOT, doing 200 of them would be EXTREMELY tedious.

So, even though I can't say much, I CAN say that I've translated virtually all of the board game associated text. Though I've yet to insert it, after I do, the game will reach a state where the only Japanese text left would be in Story Mode, and the small dialogue exchanges between characters during the board game sections.

Anything new? Progress wise

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I apologize for the lack of updates, again. I've been busy with school, but work on this translation has been progressing quite nicely. I've updated the OP to reflect current progress, and can proudly say that, at the moment, ~58% of the scripts have been translated! That said, the scripts still need to be revised and inserted, but that part is generally easy, barring any technical issues. Progress should continue soon, and I will be sure to let everyone know when another major milestone has been reached.

FuryTomic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I apologize for the lack of updates, again. I've been busy with school, but work on this translation has been progressing quite nicely. I've updated the OP to reflect current progress, and can proudly say that, at the moment, ~58% of the scripts have been translated! That said, the scripts still need to be revised and inserted, but that part is generally easy, barring any technical issues. Progress should continue soon, and I will be sure to let everyone know when another major milestone has been reached.

Sorry if it seemed like i was trying to forcing your hand. I now how hard these things are and i appreciate your continuation of this despite lack of support on this thread (Kmon guys from 27% i think to 58% is a major achievement especially in a month)

Keep up the good work and understand that many people are looking forwards to this.

Im still hoping for season 3(i can wish right?)

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria

I just cannot wait for this

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good news, everyone! Quite a lot of progress has been made in the past week, and I can proudly say that over 87% of the story-related scripts have been translated! We still have one more character storyline to go, and then after that, it's just a matter of translating the epilogue, and filling in a few gaps here and there. After that, there are still some minor graphics that need translating, and then there's the issue of the board game dialogues, but those are issues for another time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto