Hacking Baka & Test Portable - English Translation Project

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
We should probably, you know, let these guys finish one translation, that they're doing for free, before asking them to do another.

I wasn't asking them to translate
But I was just saying that it takes dedicated fans of animie to go as far as translating games

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Hello
You said this in your update

Project Status (as of 12/22/14)
Prologue Translation: 100.00%
Akihisa Yoshii's Storyline: 100%
Mizuki Himeji's Storyline: 0%
No. of Scripts Translated: 9/84

Are those the only routes in the game?
So is himijies storyline the 75 out of 84 scripts that are remaining

Arvee100smart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello
You said this in your update

Project Status (as of 12/22/14)
Prologue Translation: 100.00%
Akihisa Yoshii's Storyline: 100%
Mizuki Himeji's Storyline: 0%
No. of Scripts Translated: 9/84

Are those the only routes in the game?
So is himijies storyline the 75 out of 84 scripts that are remaining

As I said before, there are total of 9 Routes.
I think Akihisa's, Himeji's & Manami's (correct me if I'm wrong) Routes are automatically playable at the start of the game, so to unlock the others, one's route must be completed.
Eh.. it's more like this..
Akihisa Yoshii's Storyline:
Mizuki Himeji's Storyline:
Minami Shimada's Storyline:
Yuuji Sakamoto's Storyline:
Hideyoshi Kinoshita's Storyline:
Kohta Tsuchiya's Storyline:
Shouko Kirishima's Storyline:
Yuuko Kinoshita's Storyline:
Miharu Shimizu's Storyline:

:)

Reactions: Abu_Senpai

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the way I was doing it was to list only what we've worked on, to avoid a bunch of 0%'s cluttering the OP, but I guess I might change it.

As for the route's available at the beginning of the game, Akihisa Yoshii's, Kouta Tsuchiya's, Yuuji Sakamoto's, and Hideyoshi Kinoshita's storylines are available at the beginning. The other five are unlocked when you clear certain storylines, though I'm not exactly sure if you unlock them in a certain order every time, or if certain characters are unlocked only after completing a certain storyline.

There are 84 script files in the entire game. 75 of them are for the game's various storylines, while the remaining 9 are for character interactions within the board game portion of the game. The XX/84 is given to show the overall progress of the project. Himeji's storyline is NOT 75 script files long. I apologize for the confusion.

I have been working on a video to showcase some of what's been done thus far in the translation area. The hacking portion has run into some issues, and I haven't been able to reach CompCom to help sort things out. For now, though, focus shall remain on the translation, as it is the most important part. I shall post a link to the video once I have finished subtitling it. Thank you for your support, everyone.

Arvee100smart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think this does not relatively relates to the anime nor the light novel.
Just so you know, the game is about the principal giving a new way of game, and instead of "all" shoukanjuu battle, this is a board game wherein you have to gain the highest place (If you play Mario Party, you know what I mean). If a certain character completed the board game 3 times, their wish can be grant by the principal...

..... I think.. XD Please tell me if I'm wrong. Like, it's all japanese, so, I dunoo.

As for progressing... I don't know. But I believe FShadow and Co will do their best to translate the game o/

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I apologize for the lack of updates. The team has been pretty busy with life and other projects, but we are by no means dead. Translation is currently still ongoing, but has stalled a bit with our translators' obligations with real life.

On the bright side, I have finally finished a small video to show the game's prologue with our current translation. Unfortunately, there are still some technical issues preventing us from inserting all of the text back into the game, so I was forced to subtitle the video instead. Make sure that you have closed captions on, and let me know what you all think!

EDIT: I finally came up with a crude solution to my issue with the script being too large. It's only a temporary fix, but I was able to play through the entire translated prologue without any crashes! There are a few text glitches, but those should hopefully be fixed after I figure out what I'm doing.

Arvee100smart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
T-This is great! Since you are the uploader of this video, I'm guessing these subtitle words will be moved in the patched game. Although I didn't finish the video (for preventing spoiler.. I think), the grammar has been nicely put. I can't really wait! *^*

I heard about this words in the dialogue box where the words are, like, separated each letter with space. I'm glad you found a temporary fix without any disturbances of sudden crash. Just.. Good Lucky Guys!

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As it currently stands, the subtitles in the video, or at the very least, a modified version of them for space restrictions, have already been inserted into the game.

The biggest issue is that the characters are too spaced out from each other, an issue that I know can be solved, as CompCom had shown evidence of such a modification. Unfortunately, CompCom has not had any contact with me since October, and never shared with me the modifications made to allow decreased character spacing.

If anybody out there could assist me with this issue, your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: kagekyo and Hargrun

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
As it currently stands, the subtitles in the video, or at the very least, a modified version of them for space restrictions, have already been inserted into the game.

The biggest issue is that the characters are too spaced out from each other, an issue that I know can be solved, as CompCom had shown evidence of such a modification. Unfortunately, CompCom has not had any contact with me since October, and never shared with me the modifications made to allow decreased character spacing.

If anybody out there could assist me with this issue, your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

May I recommendfuvanovel forums
Just like gbatemp they have good skilled people over here too

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He hadn't added a variable width font, so far as I know. The screenshot that he had posted back on Page 1 indicated that he just changed the single value controlling the space between all characters, which, judging from the screenshot, worked out alright. It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult of a hack to reproduce, though, since I have very little knowledge in the realm of ASM hacking, I can't be too sure.

JamRules

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, Missed the bit about the spacing when I looked through the thread at compcom's posts

Edit:
Maybe not the best way but for the main text spacing you can replace ex 08808D20 with li a1, 0x? (default is 0x10 = 16).

That's eboot pos 0x4DE0 (looks like C402A594 E074A4A6) so for example put li a1, 0xA (0A000524).

npjh50680_00007.jpg

Example attached to post

Haven't tested with English characters so it might actually be different,
also looks like there's a line limit of 22 chars from very briefly looking at the asm but again I haven't tested.
If you have a file with English text inserted that would be helpful

Attachments

• baka eboot.zip
    715.2 KB · Views: 342

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, there is indeed a 22 character limit per line, making it extremely painful while trying to fit the script back into the game. There is also a 6 character limit on the character nametag boxes, which makes some characters' names impossible to display fully. I tested the smaller spacing, and got this result:

NPJH50680_00083.png

I have attached the sc.cpk containing a translation for the prologue, which is pretty rough, and causes a few textbox issues that are probably related to the files being too large, and me deleting empty space at the end of the scripts in order to make them fit. Sometimes, the text isn't deleted from the previous box of dialogue, but this can be remedied by opening up the backlog.

I also attached the eboot I'm using, since I don't remember exactly what it was that I did to it to make it work with the modified files, so I attached it just in case. I greatly appreciate your help with this.

Attachments

• baka_english_sc.cpk.zip
    112.6 KB · Views: 375
  • baka_eboot_translation.zip
    722.9 KB · Views: 383

JamRules

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the reason I thought there was a limit was because there's a "slti a0,s1,0x16" at ex 08808D34, changing this might alter the limit. If you have an example of some text that normally gets cut you can try replacing the opcode to see if it works

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I've been trying to figure this thing out for hours, but, try as I might, I simply cannot understand this assembly code.

I changed the 16 at 0x08808D34 to various other values. Sure enough, if I changed it to 2, the character limit per line became 2. However, whenever I changed it to anything greater that 16, it only displayed a single character that was usually cut off when the game forced a line wrap. From experience, I've noticed that the game autowraps after 23 characters, but doesn't display the 23rd character on any given line. When I increase the 16 in the assembly code, it displays the missing character, but the position at where it wraps remains the same at 23 character point.

I'm going to keep looking to see if I can find a remedy for this, but I have zero experience with this kind of hacking, so I'm essentially guessing at what I'm supposed to be looking for. If I find anything (which is unlikely), I shall post my results here.

JamRules

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's likely then that there are two changes needed,
One to stop the automatic adding of the new line char,
And one to remove the render limit (which is done).

If you have a file which a long line of text to test with I can look also

Reactions: kagekyo

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much for your help! I've attached a copy of the sc.cpk which has several of the first few lines of dialogue over 23 characters.

Attachments

• baka_english_long_sc.cpk.zip
    112.5 KB · Views: 356

JamRules

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been looking into it and unfortunately it doesn't look like it will be a simple change to add more characters.
This is what I have so far, however as always some of this could be wrong.

When the text loads the letters are saved to a texture one by one, this happens at ex 0882D580
starting from 0x095b8000 in ram

Dialog is rendered into 4 lines, 3 are shown and the last line is limited to one letter.

Long text will wrap around and be merged with the first row, hence the overlap. The first character of the first row is not overlapped because of the one saved to row 4. The 4th line can be shown by changing ex 08808D60 from "slti a0,fp,0x3" to a higher limit.

One more line is used for the character name.

Once the texture is rendered the game selects the UVs for each char and renders them, each is 18 x 18 pixels. This happens line per line and will always render the maximum number of squares, so it'll draw a transparent square when no character has been used to save into the texture.

Not sure how to change the render sequence to stop it moving lines but the texture is 512 pixels wide so at the moment you could only have 28 characters.
If you extend the render limit at ex 08808D34 you can see in the GE debugger the prims are rendered but the UV is out of bounds and there's is no texture data.

Basically I'm not entirely sure how to extend the limit, it'll likely take some time and could use someone who can dedicate their time to working on it.

Reactions: kagekyo and FShadow

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much for everything. I never realized that this thing was so complicated. Luckily, CompCom contacted me recently for the first time in a while after seeing my recent posts with news that he had written an asm routine to fix this issue. So, for now, this issue has been resolved, and the project can continue forward. Thanks for the time you've spent on this; it really means a lot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, WAKE UP